NC Mil-Air Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine_hm

Holy cow, there,s a lot of pages. I'll apologize now. Don't know how to use search on Tapatalk, looking for Military air frequencies in the Camp Lejeune NC area.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
TO: marine_hm

Howdy !

Here's a good place to start:

Scroll backwards in this thread to Post # 414.....look at the New River freqs (also Cherry Point)....also look down at the bottom with GIANTKILLER and KIWI freqs....WASH CENTER UHF freqs too.....

Enjoy !

marine_hm

Thread 416 solved my request. Looks like a quote from earlier post.

Thanks. I was originally reading from post #1, started going cross eyed.

Last edited by a moderator:

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
Hey,

Not sure if I'm in the right area to get in to this....(Mil-Air) I'm in Alamance County.

If I am, could someone give me a list of starter freqs?

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Wilmington fly-by

Good afternoon,
Today, 11/4/13, at about 1415 hours I heard what I believe was a military jet fy over the apartment complex in which I live, located in Wilmington. Having worked on FB-111A's I'm pretty sure it was coming in low and fast. I could not get outside in time and I was wondering if any of you military air guru's had any idea what it was.
Thank you in advance.
John

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
Wilmington

I was at the Wilmington Airport this afternoon about that time. Two USMC Harriers out of Cherry Point landed to re-fuel. They are a pretty regular sight at ILM because the FBO there, Air Wilmington, has a refueling contract with the government. It is not unusual to see all types of military aircraft doing practice approaches at Wilmington on weekdays. Besides the Harriers, I have seen the USAF version of a Boeing 757 from the Special Air Mission fleet from Andrews AFB, a Navy C-40 (Boeing 737) from Oceana NAS, Crossbows from New River MCAS and Coast Guard C-130's there all the time. There is also a lot of business jet traffic because planes flying to the Northeast US from the Bahamas and the Carribean stop there to clear US Customs.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
FANTASTIC!
Thank you very much for the quick response.
I'm new to the area and still trying to get my bearings. Unfortunately I am stuck in the apartment until my house is built (Monkey Junction), so all but one of my radios is in storage. Gonna have to spend a lot more time listening to ILM on the HomePatrol.
Thank you again.
John, KB2COP

244.8 Mhz AM 'BIG ROCK'

been hearing a designator for an area airspace controller called BIG ROCK on 244.8 Mhz AM

lots of milair checking in with BIG ROCK working the RESTRICED areas in W-122 ....R-5306A Cherry Point ATC

sounds very similar to GIANT KILLER, etc......

probably a subsection of GK, probably around PAM MOA and BT-9 / BT-11.....in Cherry Point ATC airspace....

(locals will know the name of course, a famous hot fishing spot for the big billfish South of Cape Lookout....the local Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournement takes it's name from it of course,too)

it vaguely rings an old bell, but my cobwebs are too thick....but i've never heard it so constantly used as it is now....of course we do have US Ships offshore in a large military exercise here too....

Barefootdipole

PS: BINGO......it's RANGE CONTROL for MCAS CHERRY POINT ATC...it's in the PILOT HANDBOOK issued by MCAS CHERRY POINT ATC for all aircraft to check in with BIG ROCK on 244.8 to work W-122 -- R-5306A subgroups....you can find the PDF at MCAS Cherry Point Air Traffic Control Facility ...apparently i must have had it locked out and just hadn't heard it for awhile....too many scanners, too many frequencies, and not enough brain cells left :)

Carteret County NC

Last edited:

trimmerj

Vacationing in Dare Co

Milair freqs are much quieter than in previous years. Normaly I mount a pvc pipe with a discone on the deck, but this year using back of scanner antennas. Is my setup deaf or is there less radio traffic in the area?

thanks

BMT

What can you expect when the last frequency list was posted in 2012.

BMT

trimmerj

Usually I can search 220-380 mhz and get hits on a dozen or more frequencies during the course of a day. Gotta be the lack of a decent antenna.

AlphaFive

Mil Air below 25 m.h.z.

Hello, I am considering investing in a receiver for below 25 m.h.z., down into the k.h.z. I would like to experiment down there to see what is available related to mil air. Does anyone have experience with commonly used areas, such as 11 to 14 k.h.z? I have found very little documented on threads for this. There has to something down there, right? Thank You one and all

jplyler

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am considering investing in a receiver for below 25 m.h.z., down into the k.h.z. I would like to experiment down there to see what is available related to mil air. Does anyone have experience with commonly used areas, such as 11 to 14 k.h.z? I have found very little documented on threads for this. There has to something down there, right? Thank You one and all
IMO you cant be into mil-air and not monitor HF. The starting point is 11175khz usb and the other GHFS frequencies. To get a taste of it log into a websdr site and park on 11175.

This is the best wesdr I've found. It covers the entire hf spectrum and even has a mobile site.

Also look into the international air route freqs as you will hear both commercial and mil traffic there as they transit the oceans.

AlphaFive

Thank You, at least something exists. Since I do not yet have a receiver, I can only read about usage. That matches approximately what I have seen so far, very cool

Status
Not open for further replies.