NC Utilities Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Hey folks, sorry for the incoming wall of text, TLDR at the bottom.

I'm sure many of you have noticed large chunks of the state being updated over the last week. This recent snow event has allowed me to discover some new radio systems for the power companies and also verify some existing info that has become a little bit dated. I'd like to enlist the help of the rest of the forum users to confirm some information I'm not able to reach. Since most of the larger EMCs & power companies cover more than a single county, I've added all the relevant companies to the NC Utilities page found at: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=5395#82713

If everyone will take a look at the above mentioned page and try to see if you can confirm information (even if it's already posted, the more verification the better) and seek out the new systems it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you come across any county level listings of utilities, submit a ticket to have it moved to the statewide page. The only exception would be for the small power companies that truly operate within a single county, in which it should remain at the county level with a note in the statewide section for anyone who might be looking.

I've tried to offer some hints on where to start looking for some of the companies and will attempt to move that to the wiki over the next few weeks but I'm not expert with wiki formatting. If you look on the main US database page at the bottom left you can "Search by FCC Entity", type in the company name and search. Look for FB2s in the licenses (repeaters) and listen in on those frequencies. Also search the 935-940 band, 450-452 MHz, and 152-153 Mhz bands as that's where most companies originally set up systems at.

If you're not familiar with the utility providers in your area, take a look at this link: https://www.ncelectriccooperatives.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/NCEC-service-area-map-2018.pdf

A lot of these systems provide wide-area coverage. You may be surprised just what you can hear. I've been able to listen to over 10 companies so far stretching between Raleigh & Asheville just by scanning around and some lucky band openings. Please feel free to ask questions, if you want to help and don't have a clue how, just ask. Or if you're unfamiliar with the new digital systems out there post in this thread and we can at least try to narrow down for someone else to listen out for.

TLDR: Go to the NC Utilities page, verify what's already on there, and try to find out info on the companies that don't have anything listed.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Nice info! I'm planning on getting the DMR upgrade for my BCD436HP so I'll then be able to monitor digital systems (which we have a lot of around here).

In the mean time, I can indeed confirm that most Duke Energy comms here in the triad area are on an OpenSky system. The upper part of the 800 MHz spectrum is loaded with OpenSky signals here.

And based on my monitoring today, All of the Energy Untied EMC system control channels that I am in range of are labeled correctly. I can't confirm as I am too far away, but for the Denton site, the additional frequencies for that site are most likely: 461.7125, 462.0125, 462.475, and 463.375 MHz.

Last edited:

reconrider8

most all ive monitored in the past around halifax county was DMR but it was almost all data and not any voice that i heard in the short time but maybe ill do a bit more digging here shortly and see if that has changed in the past 2-3 years

trumpetman

Database Admin
And based on my monitoring today, All of the Energy Untied EMC system control channels that I am in range of are labeled correctly. I can't confirm as I am too far away, but for the Denton site, the additional frequencies for that site are most likely: 461.7125, 462.0125, 462.475, and 463.375 MHz.

Yeah I see the other frequencies on the license, but haven't been able to catch any traffic on those. Denton is a very low coverage site so I imagine the voice channels won't be busy very often unless a unit is down that way.

most all ive monitored in the past around halifax county was DMR but it was almost all data and not any voice that i heard in the short time but maybe ill do a bit more digging here shortly and see if that has changed in the past 2-3 years

Take another listen, if you can confirm color codes, or at a minimum the type of system they're using (conventional, capacity plus, etc) then we can get it in the database for others to monitor and find TGs and details for.

reconrider8

Yeah I see the other frequencies on the license, but haven't been able to catch any traffic on those. Denton is a very low coverage site so I imagine the voice channels won't be busy very often unless a unit is down that way.

Take another listen, if you can confirm color codes, or at a minimum the type of system they're using (conventional, capacity plus, etc) then we can get it in the database for others to monitor and find TGs and details for.
Will do when I get a chance. How do you determine the type of dmr system?

Status
Not open for further replies.