Need Advice On New Digital Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

robo21

Contact said:
One thing to remember is that the radio equipment in use is still not beyond the capabilities of the 396.

Just because the 396 is 2 years old does not mean it is obsolete, or even that there are better things out there.

I do like the size of the 396 and it covers a little more. I've been playing with a Pro 96 to see if what I can receive in L.A. and the importance of digital decoding is becoming very apparent. The 96 often emits "motoboating" sounds - why I do not know.

robo21

AlabamaRS said:
upgrade dsp firmware yet??, If there is any:)

Excuse my "newbie" ignorance, please explain. I don't have any accessories for the 96 as I'm probably going to return that and get either a 396 or a 500. Although the 96 was on sale for $399.

Contact

robo21 said:
I do like the size of the 396 and it covers a little more. I've been playing with a Pro 96 to see if what I can receive in L.A. and the importance of digital decoding is becoming very apparent. The 96 often emits "motoboating" sounds - why I do not know.

::flamesuitdonned::

The thing that turned me off of the radio shack job was, yes it's a little cheaper, but does not come with a rechargable battery (and as such, does not come with a charger). Sure, you can buy both seperately, but that puts you about equal with the Uniden 396.

And for my money (and I am not trying to trash talk), Uniden has a little more clout behind it than "Radio Shack: You've got questions, we've got batteries."

The last time I was in a radio shack to check out their digital unit, it was $399.99 and my 396 was $519.99. If you decide to go with RS's unit, you'll need a $13.00 set of rechargable batteries and a $20.00 charger, the $6.00 adapter to be able to mount a standard rubber ducky antenna, and a $20.00 800mhz antenna.(all prices per radioshacks website). The uniden comes with everything, with the exception of a 800mhz antenna. With both units, you will eventually want to buy the Butel software and cable, which will set you back about 80 bucks either way.

Sorry I'll shell out the extra 60 bucks and stick with a company that makes mobile electronics for a living, rather than a company that tries to hock me a cell phone every time I walk in the door! :D

Nevermind the sweet blue backlit display it comes with!!

robo21

Contact said:
::flamesuitdonned::

The thing that turned me off of the radio shack job was, yes it's a little cheaper, but does not come with a rechargable battery (and as such, does not come with a charger). Sure, you can buy both seperately, but that puts you about equal with the Uniden 396.

And for my money (and I am not trying to trash talk), Uniden has a little more clout behind it than "Radio Shack: You've got questions, we've got batteries."

The last time I was in a radio shack to check out their digital unit, it was $399.99 and my 396 was $519.99. If you decide to go with RS's unit, you'll need a $13.00 set of rechargable batteries and a $20.00 charger, the $6.00 adapter to be able to mount a standard rubber ducky antenna, and a $20.00 800mhz antenna.(all prices per radioshacks website). The uniden comes with everything, with the exception of a 800mhz antenna. With both units, you will eventually want to buy the Butel software and cable, which will set you back about 80 bucks either way.

Sorry I'll shell out the extra 60 bucks and stick with a company that makes mobile electronics for a living, rather than a company that tries to hock me a cell phone every time I walk in the door! :D

Nevermind the sweet blue backlit display it comes with!!

Thanks for the info. I agree the Pro 96 is wanting in at least two areas that I've found so far without ever doing a comparison: 1) The accessories included - as you pointed out. 2) The performance is poor.

Sometimes it will land on a digital transimission and "motorboat" the entire transmission - unless I hit the scan button. Then it will land on the same broadcast but decode it correctly. Not good.

Next step is to get a 396 and test it out. I'll be returning the RS Pro 96. Where did you get the Butel software?

Airdorn

Get Uniden.

Radio Shack is synonymous with quasi-geekdom that have limited tech knowledge but will eagerly sell you a worthless cell phone contract.

hoser147

Keep in mind GRE right now is King of the hill, and yes it comes with just about everything you need. Customer support is excellent. For the money and the Quality it cant be beat so far. Uniden is coming out with upgrades for their digital line, the upcoming one is free, but they are talking paying for future upgrades. See the Uniden firmware thread.........Hoser

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
n4voxgill said:
would you pay the same price for a 2008 car as for a 2006. Not me.

that would make a lot more sense if there were only 3 cars on the market today

Status
Not open for further replies.