DSDPlus Need Beginner's Guide to DSD+ Fastlane

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
That’s dependent on the SDR hardware
Lol, that's why I said,
depending on how far apart the freqs are
Also depends how you look at it and how your scanning. An run of the mill sdr is close to 2.4 mhz minus a little for roll off while airspy mini will yield close to 4.5 mhz and the R2 and Duo sdr's will yield closer to 10 Mhz.

Sdrtrunk, 1 dongle, any dongle can be set up tune to each freqs within the bandwidth limitations of the dongle. One can add multiple dongles if needed.

Sdr# and DSDPLus FastLane with 1 dongle, regardless of bandwidth, can be set up to scan a list of freqs no matter how far apart they are as the dongle is scanning (tuning to) and not locked to a particular freq like in Sdrtrunk.

Sdr offer a great deal of flexibility One can set up airband freqs in FastLane or Sdr# and listen, or one with an R2 can scan the whole 225 to 400 mil-airband in a second and a half.

KE6UVW

Thanks for all the info folks. Should have posted here weeks ago. I'd be interested in SDR# with any digital decode plugins as I find the UI nice and the frequency manager nice plus I've got a lot of unlisted freqs already plugged in. I'll try out that DSD+ UI too. I think for trunking, what little of it I do, I'm going to stick with my Linux SDRTrunk software and my Uniden, so far those both were more-or-less turnkey. It looks like for a general monitoring station I'm going to have to use several bits of software as there is no one-size-fits-all for every mode and all of these guys are a work-in-progress it seems. I'm set up for that, so no problem. I've got a Pluto + coming in a few weeks which has a nice slice of spectrum it can view and with two data outputs I can feed it to both of my 'puters. Just wait till I get this set up remote with RDF on a mountain somewhere...one can dream.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Lol, that's why I said,
Just making sure those new and reading this thread realize the hardware is a critical piece. Your original remark didn’t mention hardware, only software, and wanted to clarify that.

orion_jb2001

Question from Australia. P25 network, how does the DSD program determine what is a neighbouring site? Some answers locally is the data is uploaded into the control channels re what is a neighbouring site but I would like to know what method do they determine neighbouring sites. Is it distance, geographical grouping etc.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
On a Con+ system, How can I get it to monitor 2 sites at the same time...ex: if the talkgroup call goes from site 1 to site 2...how can I get dsd+ fastlane to follow it?

I have the 2 sites programmed in, I have all the frequencies for the 2 sites, I have system programmed. I know I can do one at a time by selecting site loader, can it automatically follow the talkgroup from site to site?

I currently open FMP24-cc.bat, then open 1r..bat , I then tell it to hold on a talkgroup, the talk group mostly uses 1 site but does often bounce off a 2nd site.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Where in DSD do I enable the display of the decimal system identifier?

The site network ID is displayed as a decimal value in the event log. Conventional P25 network IDs are stored as decimal values in the .groups and .radios files.

SKA999

The site network ID is displayed as a decimal value in the event log. Conventional P25 network IDs are stored as decimal values in the .groups and .radios files.
IMG_20231220_003655_510.pngHYTERA TIER 3. SysCode Binary identifier...

Kazzaw

Database Admin
Question from Australia. P25 network, how does the DSD program determine what is a neighbouring site? Some answers locally is the data is uploaded into the control channels re what is a neighbouring site but I would like to know what method do they determine neighbouring sites. Is it distance, geographical grouping etc.
Mostly off topic for this thread - but the DSD program doesn't determine the neighbouring site - The system dictates which sites are its neighbours when it is configured, DSD just reads this information and displays it.

Geographical makes sense, but it varies system to system.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
On a Con+ system, How can I get it to monitor 2 sites at the same time...ex: if the talkgroup call goes from site 1 to site 2...how can I get dsd+ fastlane to follow it?

I have the 2 sites programmed in, I have all the frequencies for the 2 sites, I have system programmed. I know I can do one at a time by selecting site loader, can it automatically follow the talkgroup from site to site? loader

I currently open FMP24-cc.bat, then open 1r..bat , I then tell it to hold on a talkgroup, the talk group mostly uses 1 site but does often bounce off a 2nd site.
Anyone know how to scan multiple sites as opposed to one site at a time in the site loader window?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
use multiple SDRs and follow the setup in the Notes file
Ok, but it says it monitors a signal site with 2 SDR devices...am I missing something? I want to scan multiple sites. because not everything I want to monitor is on one site. I know I can do it with 2 computers and 2 devices, but I really want to know if it can be done with a single computer?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Take note of 1r.bat and 1r a.bat

Single-dongle monitoring:

To use a single device, run the 1R.bat file to start DSD+,
then run the appropriate batch file for your device:

DVB-T dongle: FMP24-CC.bat

Airspy: FMPA-CC.bat

SDRPLay: FMPP-CC.bat

DSD+ and the FMPx SDR software (FMP24, FMPA or FMPP) should start talking to each other
and raw demodulated audio waveforms should be displayed in DSD+'s Source Audio window.
The Windows Firewall may prompt you to allow FMPx to act as a server / accept connections;
click the check boxes to allow FMPx to function properly.

Tune your SDR by left-clicking in the FMPx RF spectrum window or by using the left/right
cursor keys or by directly typing in a radio frequency (in MHz) and pressing Enter.

Pressing '?' will list all of the FMPx keyboard commands in the FMPx console window.
Commonly used commands relate to RF gain levels, tuning step sizes and channel filtering
bandwidths.

If FMPx is tuned to a conventional digital voice channel,
DSD+ will decode any unencrypted digital voice that is present.
Use the DSD+ menus to ensure that DSD+ is sending audio to your PC speakers.

If FMPx is used to monitor analog channels,
select "Monitor Source Audio if No Sync and Signal Present" in the DSD+ input menu.

If FMPx is tuned to a P25 control channel, DSD+ will automatically start trunk tracking
and decoding unencrypted Phase I and Phase II voice traffic.

For some NEXEDGE and Tier III control channels, DSD+ will automatically start trunk tracking.

For most NEXEDGE and Tier III systems and for all Capacity Plus and Connect Plus systems,
accurate channel data for the site being monitored has to be added to the DSDPlus.frequencies
file to enable trunk tracking.

If you have a second SDR device, you can run the 1Ra.bat file and the appropriate FMPx-VC.bat
file and simultaneously monitor a second trunking system or site or conventional channel(s

cg

Premium Subscriber
DSDPlus can trunktrack with one SDR. You need another SDR for each site you want to monitor. You have to edit and save with specific names the batch files for each FMPx and DSDPlus instance you want. Again, read the Notes and search the various threads here on RR. There are certain things you may want to make happen that are covered in the Notes (such as one SDR audio out the left and a second out the right speaker)

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
So I've been utilizing a scanner for most of my monitoring desires but I am wanting to expand into SDRs. I purchased two RTL-SDR Blog dongles and purchased DSDPlus Fastlane.
Generally speaking, I just don't understand a bunch of the processes that are required for listening to certain trunked systems. I am looking to see if anyone might have some resources that are fairly up-to-date that would act as a "First step" to getting me headed in the right direction. I have read a few different threads regarding different trunked systems and such but I honestly just need a better "here stupid" step by step guide.
Thanks for anyone who can help!
And to clarify, I'm looking for something that someone who literally just bought the dongles and software would utilize to get setup for the very first time. You can use baby talk with me.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Why did you quote someone from almost a year ago, from another thread, and post it in this thread?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Why did you quote someone from almost a year ago, from another thread, and post it in this thread?
sorry that was a mistake i seen his question and i was gonna send him the dsdplus pdf but it was to big and i guess it messed up and posted it here.