Need Help programming BCD396t

Status
Not open for further replies.

rentacrip

I bought a BCD396t online. I cant seem to figure out how the heck to program this . if there is anyone out there who could give me step by step help that would be great. i live in white co.

N9AWO

If you have never done one it can be a little testy. I think if you look in the Uniden 396 forum and Wiki section you will find very good info. To tell you how if you have never done one is problematic because of the terms used and what your specific desires are.

Not trying to blow you off, but there is a learning curve you need to deal with. I think if you have a very specific question instead of such a broad one you will get some good help here.

I have both the 396T and the 996T and they are great scanners. I am sure you will enjoy it.

KE5TLF

Yeah there is a lot to learn, and as with most things of this nature it's going to take some time, and some trial and error.

Go over this page first to find some useful things
BCD396T - The RadioReference Wiki

Mess around with some, put it down for a while, pick it back up, etc. Just don't let yourself get frustrated first and foremost.

Did you get a programming cable with it?
If so was it the included DB9 serial cable, and do you have a PC with a serial port or serial port adapter?
Did you get lucky enough to have a USB-1 cable included maybe?

Getting it hooked up to a PC and using Freescan or UASD may lead to a bit quicker path to getting it going.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually this page is far and away better than the 396T wiki article, as it has links to just about everything you need to get started - most importantly, at the bottom, are the links to the Easier to Read manuals. Don't even try to use the Uniden supplied mess (they should fire the guy that wrote them...)

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

There's links here for our glossary, and what trunking is, and lots more. As has been said already, this is a learning curve - bookmark this, because it's likely you will come back to it again and again...take your time.

Mike

W9NES

If he was in metro Indainapolis/Marion County I would help him get his 396T up and running. He said he lives in White County,Indiana

Last edited:

KE5TLF

Hmm yeah you're right. Seems some integration of other pertinent and more useful wiki articles is needed on that 396T article. I didn't really look at it and just assumed that kind of stuff was already there.

EDIT: Ok maybe a little better now...

Last edited:

N9WP

To help get you somewhat started, download FreeScan, then download the files from my webpage for FreeScan, open that file up in FreeScan. My file has some of White county and will get you started, the link is in my signature. The file is more geared towards the XT models but will work for the T model scanners. The T model scanners just can't hold as much as the XT's. So program the scanner with just the counties you need. Hope that helps!

rentacrip

Ok i seem to have figured it out . what i was doing was entering everything on mot p25 which i thought was where everything went. But upon further reading and thinking i figure it was MOT but instead on p25 i went with 800mhz broad band and not it dose scan through the FEQ i want an it also gose through CON as i have set up that way . Now I am trying to figure how to put the in place of ID number i would like it to read the name for Instance Group name is IND-SAFET i have that but below that i want it too read WCSD DISP and so on .

rentacrip

Thank you all who have helped . I seem too have figured out what the problem was. It seems although its a p25 its not a p25 . What i did was instead of entering p25 i decided to try MOT then put in 800mhz standard and it worked . I have all the TGID I wanted in my scanner . Now the the next answer im looking for is How to change the ID read out to read the for Instance it reads now ID:13344 i want it to read White Co. Disp . . . Again thank you all . God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.