Need help with 996T and Control Channel search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Hello Everyone

First let me start off by saying thanks for all the great information I was able to obtain from this forum. I’ve been a on and off scanner hobbyist for almost 20+ years and recently I decided to get back into the hobby a month ago. Last friday I purchased the BCD996T from USASCAN thanks to the information and research I was able to obtain from this site.

Being an old scanner buff, I’m still stuck in the world of banks and channels. I still have a Pro-2005 and a Pro-93 in my collection. The 996T will make a nice addition to my collection. The main reason I went with the 996T, I live in the Florida panhandle and we have three major military installations in my area. All three installations used to share a trunked radio system in the military land-mobile frequency allocation of 406 - 420 Mhz. But this system has been replaced starting in late 2005 with an APCO P25 digital, partially encrypted system in the 385 - 390 mhz range.

I did a lot of reading both in the forum and the manual while I waited for UPS to deliver my new scanner. Well it arrived today and I felt like an old pro when I started it up and preloaded the systems I had created while I waited. Everything works like a champ.

Now to my question? This has to do with searching trunk systems. Like I said, the bases where I live are on a new system. A friend has a web sight with the control channels and frequencies on it already so I was able to program the CC into the scanner. I noticed that the traffic wasn’t as busy as it should be. I decided to do a custom search for more freqs between 385 - 390 mhz. I was able to hear more traffic and I discovered a few more freqs that were not listed on his site.

Once I logged all the new freqs, how do I set it up to search for Talk Group ID’s? Do I enter all 20+ freqs into a system and then search that system for ID’s. How do I know which ones are the control channels. Some of the freqs are busy while others have very few hits. Am I missing a step somewhere? This is the only area where I'm confused with.

Here is the link to the site I was getting my info from. Look for Military bases halfway down. http://www.harrenterprises.freeservers.com/freqs.htm Besides what John has here, I found 8 more freqs with heavy traffic.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Thanks to my friend John, I was able to understand how to find the Control Channels. He told me that Control Channels will have a constant "buzz saw" sound on them. I needed to searching between the frequency range I was interested in while not in Trunk mode and I will hear the distinct sound.

I guess I didn't write my question correctly. With all the views this post had, no one replied. Anyway, I'm on day 2 now with my 996T and I have it pretty much figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.