• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help with programming my XTS5000 Model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopyII

.....ignore the type-acceptance rules nonsense. The radios will function perfectly on MURS (or F/GMRS). No one will know. No one will care.

This is the key point here. If you're paranoid about it, set your power to 2w and use them in analog. If you want to live on the edge here, keep it at 5w and use them in P25. It sounds like to me the OP wants to use these for occasional, for simple short range communications. In the middle of woods hiking around in who know's where? - is really a danger? I think not. Let you kids use them. who cares? Short of one being dropped in a lake, chances are they are more kid proof than bubble pack radios.

lb2910

This is the key point here. If you're paranoid about it, set your power to 2w and use them in analog. If you want to live on the edge here, keep it at 5w and use them in P25. It sounds like to me the OP wants to use these for occasional, for simple short range communications. In the middle of woods hiking around in who know's where? - is really a danger? I think not. Let you kids use them. who cares? Short of one being dropped in a lake, chances are they are more kid proof than bubble pack radios.

I dont know enough about CPS and these radios to program in P25 without bricking the radio by mistake.. HAHA.. This radio stuff is no joke!!!

romanr

Since I clearly have a lot of experience on this thread... is it worth it to look into getting my own VHF freq?? I know that it can be expensive and take some time, but if I can use the freq however I want, maybe its worth it???

For what you're wanting, you could consider getting a license for a few of the VHF itinerant frequencies.

- You can do it all yourself. You do NOT need to pay a frequency coordinator.
- It will cost you about $160 for 10 years, and it is renewable.
- It will permit you to use the full 6 Watts of the VHF XTS5000 and P25 legally.
- Plan for the future so that you don't have to pay for a modification later: the number of units, maximum power, and emission modes in your application (FM, P25, DMR?) should consider possible upgrades in the years ahead. Make sure the radios you use are Part 90 certified.

lb2910

For what you're wanting, you could consider getting a license for a few of the VHF itinerant frequencies.

- It will permit you to use the full 6 Watts of the VHF XTS5000 and P25 legally.
- Plan for the future so that you don't have to pay for a modification later: the number of units, maximum power, and emission modes in your application (FM, P25, DMR?) should consider possible upgrades in the years ahead. Make sure the radios you use are Part 90 certified.

WOW.. now thats right up my alley!!! So all I do is do the application for the: FM-P25-DMR? How long does the application process take? And when you say VHF itinerant freqs.. are these already pre-allocated by FCC and when I get the license I can program them in my XTS5000 and use? Apologies for the "layman" questions but I am new to this. Suffice it to say that this forum is really awesome.. I can't thank everyone enough for all the help!!!!

lb2910

Romanr... I logged into my FCC license account and can't find which license to apply for. Any guidance on that??

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Romanr... I logged into my FCC license account and can't find which license to apply for. Any guidance on that??
Login to the FCC License Manager using your FRN. On the left, there should be an option at the top called "Apply for a new license." Click on that, then pick Business Industrial (IG) from the dropdown menu. From there the application is relatively straightforward. . . . When you reach the location part of the application you must pick "I Itinerate" as the location description. From there you can enter the itinerant frecencies you want and add the appropriate emissions designators.

lb2910

Login to the FCC License Manager using your FRN. On the left, there should be an option at the top called "Apply for a new license." Click on that, then pick Business Industrial (IG) from the dropdown menu. From there the application is relatively straightforward. . . . When you reach the location part of the application you must pick "I Itinerate" as the location description. From there you can enter the itinerant frecencies you want and add the appropriate emissions designators.

Thanks for the wonderful help!! Do you know about how long the process takes to get your license??

lb2910

It depends. . . Some applications move faster than others. And if coordination with Canada is necessary it can really drag out the process.

I'm filling out the application now.. Some of the questions are confusing for me... For location, should I put my state, county or just go with the entire US??

For antenna, the application states the entry is only for a fixed location so I left that blank.

For the freqs, since I left the antenna section blank, it doesnt ask for any freq info. If I add the location info to the antenna section, then it asks for the info in the screenshot. As far as emissions.. yeah.. GREEK!!! To hopefully help, I'll be using 2-3 XTS 5000 radios that are VHF. No base station and no fixed antenna.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 3.09.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 3.09.54 PM.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 11

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
I'm filling out the application now.. Some of the questions are confusing for me... For location, should I put my state, county or just go with the entire US??

For antenna, the application states the entry is only for a fixed location so I left that blank.

For the freqs, since I left the antenna section blank, it doesnt ask for any freq info. If I add the location info to the antenna section, then it asks for the info in the screenshot. As far as emissions.. yeah.. GREEK!!! To hopefully help, I'll be using 2-3 XTS 5000 radios that are VHF. No base station and no fixed antenna.

For the location, pick as big an area that is applicable for your use case. I would recommend picking your state or the contiguous US (It doesn't really matter).

When you get to the Frequency section, click on the location, then click on antenna 1 in the middle, then click "Add new Frequency" on the right side. Now you can enter the frequency info. For emissions, you would want to add 11K2F3E for analog operations and 8K10F1E for P25 operation.

lb2910

For the location, pick as big an area that is applicable for your use case. I would recommend picking your state or the contiguous US (It doesn't really matter).

When you get to the Frequency section, click on the location, then click on antenna 1 in the middle, then click "Add new Frequency" on the right side. Now you can enter the frequency info. For emissions, you would want add 11K2F3E for analog operations and 8K10F1E for P25 operation.

Great info.. Thanks so much!! Quick question about the FREQ info... since I'm using VHF, do I just put the lowest MHz I can use on my XTS5000?? Example 136MHz to 174MHz?? And what do I put for the "Station Class"??? I can't thank you enough!!!

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Great info.. Thanks so much!! Quick question about the FREQ info... since I'm using VHF, do I just put the lowest MHz I can use on my XTS5000?? Example 136MHz to 174MHz?? And what do I put for the "Station Class"??? I can't thank you enough!!!

Pick your VHF frequencies from those listed here. Common Itinerant and Business - The RadioReference Wiki

Don't use the upper-frequency field, just fill in the lower/center field with ones from the list. You should be able to use MO3I as your station class as it is for mobile/itinerate use.

lb2910

Pick your VHF frequencies from those listed here. Common Itinerant and Business - The RadioReference Wiki

Don't use the upper-frequency field, just fill in the lower/center field with ones from the list. You should be able to use MO3I as your station class as it is for mobile/itinerate use.

Almost done I think... so how do I find the "ERP" for my XTS5000?? Tried to google the specs and such with no luck.. Also, after checking the Station Classes, I went with MOI versus MO3I.. The MO3I was for a vehicle repeater and the MOI was for a straight Mobile Itinerant class.. If I'm all messed up, please let me know.. HAHA..

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
Almost done I think... so how do I find the "ERP" for my XTS5000?? Tried to google the specs and such with no luck.. Also, after checking the Station Classes, I went with MOI versus MO3I.. The MO3I was for a vehicle repeater and the MOI was for a straight Mobile Itinerant class.. If I'm all messed up, please let me know.. HAHA..
If you just google for a Watt to ERP calculator you should be able to calculate it, but it looks like for 5 Watts of output the ERP is about 4.945 Watts.

lb2910

If you just google for a Watt to ERP calculator you should be able to calculate it, but it looks like for 5 Watts of output the ERP is about 4.945 Watts.

Ok.. all done, paid and submitted.. Since I live in the DC area there is no need for any Canadian coordination so I hope this goes through fast. I can't thank you enough for all the solid help Floridarailfanning!!! You're the BEST!!!

romanr

I don't usually check RR until my morning coffee, so I apologize for the delayed response, but it looks like floridarainfanning got you through the application process - thanks to Floridarailfanning.

I would like to add a couple of comments - but you shouldn't sweat them if you're already in the system.
1. The VHF XTS5000 is actually a 6 Watt portable and most of the ones I've seen do actually put out over 5 Watts.
2. The ERP can be thought of as the radio output multiplied by the antenna gain. If you put a 3dB antenna on your car and connect a 6W portable to it, your ERP is ~12Watts.
3. The power you specify in your application is the maximum power you are permitted to use - you can use less, but you cannot use more. For this reason, I suggested that you consider future expansion of your system. If you think you might put a mobile unit in your car later in the 10 years, you might want to apply for a higher ERP (50 Watt mobile + 3dB antenna ~= 100Watt ERP. Again, you don't have to use this much ERP, but this is the upper limit of what you are licensed to use.

Don't sweat this if your application has already been submitted. Start checking the FCC website in a week. When your application is approved you will need to download it. Good luck, enjoy you radios, and thanks for making the effort to do this legally.

lb2910

I don't usually check RR until my morning coffee, so I apologize for the delayed response, but it looks like floridarainfanning got you through the application process - thanks to Floridarailfanning.

I would like to add a couple of comments - but you shouldn't sweat them if you're already in the system.
1. The VHF XTS5000 is actually a 6 Watt portable and most of the ones I've seen do actually put out over 5 Watts.
2. The ERP can be thought of as the radio output multiplied by the antenna gain. If you put a 3dB antenna on your car and connect a 6W portable to it, your ERP is ~12Watts.
3. The power you specify in your application is the maximum power you are permitted to use - you can use less, but you cannot use more. For this reason, I suggested that you consider future expansion of your system. If you think you might put a mobile unit in your car later in the 10 years, you might want to apply for a higher ERP (50 Watt mobile + 3dB antenna ~= 100Watt ERP. Again, you don't have to use this much ERP, but this is the upper limit of what you are licensed to use.

Don't sweat this if your application has already been submitted. Start checking the FCC website in a week. When your application is approved you will need to download it. Good luck, enjoy you radios, and thanks for making the effort to do this legally.

Thanks for the input and help Romanr!! So with what you said, should I file some sort of amendment to my application for the extra wattage? I don't plan on installing a mobile unit in my car or a base station, just the handheld units. This is why I did not check the future expansion option. But I do want to use the maximum capabilities of the radio as well. Is it a big deal that I was off by a watt and indicated ERP thats a bit lower than what I might put out? As you so aptly put it, I prefer to do this the correct and LEGAL way!! I'm excited that with the license I can use the full capabilities of my radios. You and Floridarainfanning have really been a massive help with all this and you two are definitely keeping the reputation of this forum solid!!! Thanks so much!!!

romanr

Thanks for the input and help Romanr!! So with what you said, should I file some sort of amendment to my application for the extra wattage? I don't plan on installing a mobile unit in my car or a base station, just the handheld units. This is why I did not check the future expansion option. But I do want to use the maximum capabilities of the radio as well. Is it a big deal that I was off by a watt and indicated ERP thats a bit lower than what I might put out? As you so aptly put it, I prefer to do this the correct and LEGAL way!! I'm excited that with the license I can use the full capabilities of my radios. You and Floridarainfanning have really been a massive help with all this and you two are definitely keeping the reputation of this forum solid!!! Thanks so much!!!

Floridarailfanning did all the work, but thank you for the kind words.

The difference between 5W and 6W isn't really a big deal. From memory, I think the ASTRO25 CPS can reduce your output to 5W, but I would call up the FCC helpline and ask if someone can help you modify your application.

lb2910

Floridarailfanning did all the work, but thank you for the kind words.

The difference between 5W and 6W isn't really a big deal. From memory, I think the ASTRO25 CPS can reduce your output to 5W, but I would call up the FCC helpline and ask if someone can help you modify your application.

I was able to log back in and update my application since I only submitted it last night.. I changed it to read 6W. Thanks again Romanr!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.