• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need help with programming my XTS5000 Model 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb2910

Hello from DC!!! So I was programming my used XTS5000 Model 1 recently and got most everything the way I wanted it. I'm mainly using it for MURS freqs and using the PL feature to program a few zones with the same MURS freqs but with different PL tones (RX and TX) to help with any interference problems. Well, I was going to add some of the WX freqs just to monitor with RX Only checked and when I went to my previously programmed zones, ALL the PL fields were grayed out!!! I lost all the PL tones I programmed and now I can't use the feature. I tried deleting both zones and conv personalities and starting fresh... nope.. nada... still all grayed out. I admit I'm new to all this but I don't think I did anything that would cause this. Has anyone had this issue or can help me resolve? Thanks for any help with this!!!

XTS5000 Mod1 Info:
Mod#: H18KEC9PW5AN
Flashcode: 100088-001E86-3
System Package: H38

CPS Ver. R20.01.00

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Is the conventional personalities set to analog or mixed mode. And under the xmit tab set for analog?

lb2910

Both were set to ASTRO.. which I was told is the digital mode... I just set it to Mixed mode and it opened up the PL tones for me to use... I assumed (which is probably half the problem given my newbie status) if set to ASTRO that the PL tones would be available since PL is digital.. So confused.. HAHA.. so what is the difference between mixed and ASTRO? Should I leave it on mixed?? Thanks William for help!!!

lb2910

Thanks for the clarification Jaspence!!! The DPL and PL makes sense the way you explained it. Well done...

Regarding the XTS5000 on MURS.. Even if i have the transmit power set to low?? I know I can't transmit on 5W, but on the low power setting, the specs I read were that its at/under the 2W max power for MURS. Definitely would like to know if that is not correct...

I can't thank you all enough for helping me wade through the waters of radio usage.. Def gets confusing!!!

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Astro is p25 digital. Setting a radio to astro means only digital will receive or transmit.

Mixed mode will let analog and digital recieve and depending on the transmit settings you have, will transmit in astro or analog and still recieve both in mixed mode.

NAC is a digital tone for astro aka p25.

Dpl/pl is used for analog tone squelch.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I bought 5 of these for our family vacation in Colorado. For the price, they worked very well, and spare batteries cost way less that a Motorola or 3rd party Moto battery.

lb2910

Thanks for the info Jaspence..... UGH.. so now I have two boat anchors for radios with all the restrictions... what radios did you buy for Colorado???

lb2910

HAHA.. one man's junk is another man's treasure?? And yes.. XTS5000 aren't technically boat anchors... but based on what I can and can't do with them, they are almost useless. I got them fairly cheap off Ebay thinking I can use them for outdoors, etc... The CPS software came bundled with one of them so I was excited that I can set them up how I want. I guess I can look into getting my own FCC frequency but I hear that can cost hundreds of dollars and take months and months to get...

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Alternatively, you can pull a MURS license fairly easily and ignore the type-acceptance rules nonsense. The radios will function perfectly on MURS (or F/GMRS). No one will know. No one will care.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
When you are letting young grand children use the radios, a Moto is out of the question. Six months later they are still being used, and no one worries if they do get lost or broken. You may consider them junk, cmdrwill, but common sense says you don't put a brick like the XTS in the hands of a child.

lb2910

Yup.. the ones I have are only VHF.. I actually DO have a GMRS license from the FCC. But the 400MHz band isn't as good in the outdoors as the VHF band. Hence me getting the XTS VHF radios.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I know a guy that apx7000s for his license use and his kids use them on their license. Some can afford the oh well if it breaks.

lb2910

Since I clearly have a lot of experience on this thread... is it worth it to look into getting my own VHF freq?? I know that it can be expensive and take some time, but if I can use the freq however I want, maybe its worth it???

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Since I clearly have a lot of experience on this thread... is it worth it to look into getting my own VHF freq?? I know that it can be expensive and take some time, but if I can use the freq however I want, maybe its worth it???

No. Just use MURS.

And I made a mistake earlier too. MURS is licensed by rule which means you can use it without obtaining a license. I'm not high up on Brain Mountain today, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.