Need help with scanner selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealshad

I have wanted a scanner for emergency purposes for some time now. Radioshack has several triple trunking scanners for ~$170 on sale right now that fit my size and battery reqs (PRO162, PRO164, PRO528, PRO97), that is really about the peak of what I am willing to spend. I have been looking at the details for several days now and it is giving me a headache.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2674

That is my area, I would like to pick up as much as possible (obviously). How do you tell if the entities are using trunking or not? How can you tell if they're digital? Why don't any of these scanners pick up FM radio stations?

I want something that is portable and runs off of standard batteries, AA, AAA, C, D.

Anybody have any suggestions? Is there something better in my price range (used or new) that I can get that will cover all of the frequencies I need? I know some of the older model scanners w/o trunking can be gotten for pretty cheap, but I have no way to tell if that will serve my needs.

Thanks ahead of time.

fireside

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you will need a trunking scanner. You can find the PRO-97 used for sale here on R.R. .
You might want to ask in the Texas forum to see if anyone else is in your area. They could help you better.

trixwagen

Even I'd sell you my Pro-97, but if you're in for the long haul, it might be worth spending a little more and picking up a scanner that can handle rebanding.

If you want to hear broadcast FM radio, you need a scanner that does wide FM "WFM". My old 780XLT could pick it up. So could the BR330T. It is a nice feature, but apparently the scanner manufactures don't want to add a few extra 50 cent parts to their product.

I like the Pro-162, just because I favor Uniden for no particular reason.

N8IAA

Some scanner manufacturers do not include WFM broadcast mode in scanners. They are part of wideband communications receivers. Just like you won't find trunktracking in comm receivers. With the exception that Uniden does include the broadcast band in their 396 digital trunktracker, the 330 non-digital trunktracker, and the 996 digital trunktracker. The Unidens run anywhere from $280 for the 330, to $500 for the digital scanners. The 330 and 396 are handhelds. The 996 is a base/mobile. Unfortunately the 330 is a discontinued model.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.