need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
any one in the hamilton area that can help me set up my bcd 996xt scanner I would appreciate it even if I have to pay a little to get this going.I have been reading the Easier to Read manual and do understand some of it but it could be till next Christmas by the time I finish reading it all,any help ,would be appreciated ,even if some one can help me set it up even on the phone or something anything would be appreciated
thanks again
Gary

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Which services are you trying to listen to? Are you programming by hand or with software? It might be well worth a few $$'s to get a premium membership here, then use a software package such as Freescan to load your radio. Works very well, and you get a much better idea of how things are laid out in your radio when you can see it in front of you on your screen. Programming thru the menus can be tough at best, especially if you are new to the hobby.

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
i'm trying to get opp,Hamilton police,fire and ems
some people say than the freescan isn't that great to go with the proscan
thanks for your help

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've never had any issues with Freescan. The author is helpful (and on this board), it's a Canadian product, and best if all... It's free! Best to give it a try and judge for yourself. I can send you a Freescan file to load into your radio to get you started if you like...

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
if you could send my the file that would be appreciated and I just plug the cord in to the pc and the radio and it loads itself,thanks,i will join the club everyone here seems so helpful
thanks again
Gary

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yeah it's pretty much plug and play. I will throw something together for you and you can give it a try. It will likely be early afternoon before I can fire it over to you...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Here is a very basic Freescan file to get you started. Includes Fleetnet (OPP & EMS) and Hamilton Public Safety.

Quick Key 1 is OPP
Quick Key 2 is EMS
Quick Key 3 is Hamilton Police
Quick Key 4 is Hamilton Fire

As far as airplanes go, just use the service search. Hit Menu, go down to Search For... then to Service Search, then Air.

Load it in, give it a go. Then feel free to poke around and delete stuff you don't want or organize things to your liking. That's the nice part of programming via computer... save your original file, then mess around with it. If you somehow manage to mess it up simply reload the original file and start again.

Attachments

• Hamilton.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 64

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
the female plug don't work with my pc

Forts thanks for your help but I don't have the right end to plug in my pc ,i need a usb plug ,anyone know where you can get them the 9 female plug don't work on my pc axtually I dont have a 9 male end on my computer just usb and idea where I can get a adapter to download to my scanner
thanks again all
Gary
not having fun yet

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
So your PC only has USB, and not the 9 pin serial? If that's the case just about any computer place should sell an adaptor.

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
Forts let me tell you I found one store that has a conversation for my serial ,and last question when I hook up my usb from the pc to the scanner does the scanner have to be on or off to download the file and should I first download the lastest fireware or not
thanks again and again you guys are great help to use newbies appreciated

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
In a nutshell.... Plug the USB into your PC and let it install and drivers and such that it might need. Once it's happy plug your scanner cable into the USB cable then into the scanner (scanner has to be on). In Freescan go to the Scanner Menu and select Download Programming, which will pop up a new window. Here is where you need to setup your serial port. Around the middle of the new screen that popped up you should see a button that will say something like COM1 115200. Click on this to open up the COM port selection options. On that screen click the Start Auto button and hopefully if all goes well the program will find which port your scanner is on and configure itself properly. Once you have completed that you can try downloading from your scanner as it is, just to make sure the comms are working or load up the file I sent you and try sending it to the radio with the 'Upload Scanner' option.

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
Forts hate to bother you but I got as far as plugging in my scanner as far finding freescan and then scanner menu and select downloads lost .found free scan but there was a page of different information
lost lost lost
thanks for your time and patients
Gary
Merry Christmas

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
anyone know in the Hamilton area that can set up the BCD996 XT scanner for me this is just to much reading and work to try to program this
thanks unless some what to help me over the phone thanks for all that have helped me

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I can give you more detailed directions if you think it will help. Otherwise there won't be much more that I can do I'm afraid....

enjoy425

Premium Subscriber
Forts thanks so much for all your help I have been doing so much reading I seem to be going in a circle and my eyes are going blurry ,I would like to get all the usa channels off the scanner and get Canadian channels make any sense
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.