Need some help with UNITRUNKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD-996XT connected to Windows XP running UNITRUNKER 10.23. The scanner is set up as a "signal" source receiver and it feeds to UNITRUNKER with no problem. Now I want to set up a "voice-following" scanner. How do I do this? the scanner I want to use is a BC-895XLT. Can this be done? How do I connect the 2nd scanner. Thanks, Steve (new user of UNITRUNKER)

SCPD

QRT
You can add as many voice and signal receivers as you like.

Go to the Receivers tab.
Click "+".
Click "Control" to create a new Control receiver.

In the new receiver window, set the model name and port to match your '895.

To enable voice following, check "Listen" on the Options tab of the main program window.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
OK, I set it up as you advised. However, please tell me where to connect the 895 to on the computer and what settings do I enter on the 895. I appreciate your assistance. Steve

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
OK, I set it up as you advised. However, please tell me where to connect the 895 to on the computer and what settings do I enter on the 895. I appreciate your assistance. Steve

You need to connect your 895 to a serial port on your computer using an appropriate cable. If you've never hooked your 895 to a computer before, you want to get that much working before you even attempt to use it for voice following.

Once you have your 895 connected to your scanner via a serial port and you know that serial port is working, you'll follow Rick's instructions for setting up UT.

Here is some info on the 895 - Strong Signals - Uniden BC895XLT FAQ .

In the above document it describes how to set/change the baud rate of the scanner side of the serial link. You'll then set Unitrunker to use the same baud rate. I'd recommend using the highest baud rate that both the scanner and UT both support. It also describes how to construct a basic serial cable -- of course you'd need the proper connectors on the end to interface with the scanner and computer. Of course you can go out and buy the appropriate cabling at Radio Shack I'm sure.

Your computer may not even have a real RS-232 serial port, which case you'd have to use a USB-to-Serial interface along with the serial cable.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
I'd forgotten about the wonky serial port connector on the back of the BC895XLTs. Thanks Mike!

Steve - the link Mike gave you also describes how to add a discriminator tap to your '895. That's an option you may want to consider when your '996 is busy doing other things.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
Ok here is what I have done:

1. Made an connectring cable for the BC 895 to the serial connector on the PC. I made sure all the connectivity was good in the cable between the various pins.

2. Connected the 895 to the PC COM1 port (serial DB9 plug). Set COM1 for the 895 in UNITRUNKER and set it to "CONTROL" "VOICE" "RUNNING"

3. Checked the "listen" box on the UNITRUNKER

4. The 996XT is feeding a good signal to UNITRUNKER., the screen shows all the calls, etc. It is connected to COM5 on the PC (USB to serial).

5. Still no voice from the 895. All I see on the screen is SCAN...SCAN....SCAN.....

What settings do I have to make on the 895 controls? How can I verify the computer is sending anything to the 895? Do I have to enter certain freqs?

Appreciate all your help and advice so far. I feel that I am getting close!

Steve

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
What settings do I have to make on the 895 controls? How can I verify the computer is sending anything to the 895? Do I have to enter certain freqs?

If you set a Park channel in the Voice Receiver, as soon as you turn that voice receiver on in UT, it should switch the scanner to the frequency you set as the park frequency. If it does not, then it isn't communicating with the scanner.

I'm not sure how you'd tell if the computer/scanner are talking to one another. I'd probably run a terminal program [like Hyperterminal on Windows] and attempt to connect to COM1 at the baud rate you specified in the scanner.

NOTE: In the URL that I gave you a couple of posts up, it tells you how to set the baud rate in the scanner. Set the baud rate in the scanner to a value that UT also supports [I think UT will support any value that the scanner does]. At any rate, make sure both UT and the scanner are set to the same baud rate. And I'd assume that the other comport settings would be 8,N,1, software flow control or no flow control.

I don't have an 895 and have never had an 895, so I really am of little help.

If you look in the RR Wiki, near the bottom,, there is mention that in the Yahoo Group for this scanner you can obtain some software that may help you to verify that your computer is talking to your scanner - http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BC895XLT

Mike

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
You have to enable remote mode on this model. There's a button named "Remote" or "RMT". Hold the button down for about three seconds to change modes. Repeat to change back. While in remote mode, the keypad is disabled.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
Need some helpwith UNITRUNKER

Here's where I am right now:

1) I enabled "remote" on the BC895. I got it talking to the computer. How I know this is that when I change the "parking" frequency in UNITRUNKER on the receiver page the display on the 895 changes to the same freq.

2) When a voice transmission comes over the system via the BC996XT and UNITRUNKER the 895 just plays static through the speaker. When a voice transmission stops the 895 then shows the "parking" freq on the display and the static stops. Sometimes the sound coming from the 895 is the same buzzingt sound that a "control" freq makes.

3) Also, I noticed this: On the UNITRUNKER receiver page for the 895 (control receiver) in the space marked "source" it shows the same active frequency that is on the UNITRUNKER "call history" page and follows it as the freqs change. When the 996 goes back to the "control" freq the 895 screen goes back to the "parking" freq. Also on the same screen in the space marked "target" (just below "source") the same identifying name I entered into UNITRUNKER shows up.

However, the 895 speaker contiues to just play static which comes on and off with the voice transmissions instead of voice.

Thanks again for all the valuable advice so far,

I got to get this working... Steve.

nevets

Premium Subscriber

Here is the system I am monitoring:

Overlay Regional InterOperability Network (ORION)
System Type: Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive

1 (1) 002 (2) Virginia Beach Site 102 Virginia Beach 769.08750 769.33750 769.58750 769.83750 856.46250 856.71250 857.46250
857.71250 858.46250 858.71250 859.46250c 859.71250c 860.46250c 860.71

The city recently switched to "digital" that's why bought the BCD996XT

Thanks, Steve

SCPD

QRT
The 895 does not handle digital voice calls. The noise you hear is the digital waveform rendered to the analog receiver's speaker.

The easiest thing for you to do is to switch control and signal receivers. That means adding a discriminator tap to the 895.

The 996 can process P25 digital voice calls. The 895 can't (not without some help).

nevets

Premium Subscriber

Unitrunker, rather than tap the discriminator on the 895 I already have another scanner (Pro-2006) that already has a tap. Can I use that instead and make it the "signal" scanner? Will this work with "digital"? Thanks for your patience and help, I am learning a lot. Steve

nevets

Premium Subscriber

UNITRUNKER, just wanted to let you know that Unitrunker appears to be working perfectly now thanks to your help and advice. Signal "health" is consistently between 90-99, both receivers tracking in sync. Suggestion: someone ought to put together a comprehensive guide to setting up Unitrunker and how to use it. The existing information is a bit unclear without some advice from experienced people to fill in the gaps. Thanks, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.