Needing a hosting website

Status
Not open for further replies.

camfireguy

Feed Provider
Yesterday I found out that the person who has been running our scanner feed in town is calling it quits after 10 years. There have been a lot of posts from people saying that they do not want the site to go. I have decided to take over and host the feed, but the only problem is, I am not really 100% sure what I am doing.

Here is my plan so far; First, I am going to buy a second scanner in the next few days so that I can have 1 scanner dedicated to a Fire feed and the other one dedicated to a Police feed. I have a computer that will be soley dedicated to providing the feed. I know I need to buy a mixer, and other than that, that is about all I know. I currently have wireless internet, and I know that it isnt a good idea due to reliability, but I havent had issues with it and it is all I can get where I live.

My questions are; With what I have listed, will I be able to host a good feed? Do I need anything else? The person who runs the feed currently has a seperate website that people go to and are familar with. I would like to also have a seperate website for people to go to and listen, and also to make posts as they wish. I know it costs money to have a dedicated website, but I really need help with this. Does anyone have any recommendations on what a good website to use is? I know I have to pay for it each year, but I am hoping to keep it relatively cheap. I have never created a website before and wouldnt even know how to set it up as a scanner page.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ben

alfonzo1955

Check out BuyVM, they have servers for quite a decent price. I am using their VPSs right now and they work amazingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.