nerd room

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellykeeton

finally cleaned up to the point I could post a picture that wasn't crap.

forgot to list the equipment...

BCD996T
BCT15 (d-tap)
BC246T
IcomR20 (d-tap)
BC560XLT
IBQ Frequency Counter
Yeasu VX-&r
Yeasu FT-7800 (w/ rigblaster)
IC-R71A with PBT (saving cash for 746PRO)
MFJ-969 tuner (jsut a antenna switch)

antenna's

ratShack 800mhz for trunk
Diamond RH77CA for 2m/440 on the 560XLT
SuperAntenna R1 and homemade dipole for HF
the stock antennas for the rest as I am metro
ElkAntenna for the 2m/440

I watch local LEA on the king county trunk systems as well as a lot of 2m/440 as soon as I get a 746PRO I will move more into HF, being downtown its hard to pull out the HF from the dirt.

Attachments

• DSC03567.JPG
    DSC03567.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 15,480
  • DSC03568.jpg
    DSC03568.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 12,078
Last edited:

bsdam

Premium Subscriber
Nice LaCie, I've got one too and the built in KVM is handy. How do you like your R20? I just bought one and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery :D

Very nice room, the nerdier the better...

-b

NYRHKY94

Nice shack! Now for the obligatory follow-up questions. Can you provide us with a rundown of the equipment and what you're monitoring. Also, any antenna descriptions and pics :)

kellykeeton

Nice LaCie, I've got one too and the built in KVM is handy. How do you like your R20? I just bought one and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery :D

Very nice room, the nerdier the better...

-b
the R20 is nice I use it only for the D-Tap on it to direct monitor digital data.

kellykeeton

the shuttles are nice, never had too much heat issues with them i have a stack of them to the left of that one for lab work etc..

the 2 I found one day, after cleaning up the room a bit it landed there and hasnt moved much :)

zuzu

As a nerd of both computer and radio, and seeing as how you're pulling discriminator taps off the Icom R20 and the Uniden BCT-15 (presumably for computer monitoring), plus that the quick eBay pricing of the R20 is something like $500... do you have any particular thoughts or opinions on Software Defined Radio such as GNUradio using the Universal Software Radio Peripheral?

p.s. Who doesn't love those TCP/IP Illustrated books?

kellykeeton

As a nerd of both computer and radio, and seeing as how you're pulling discriminator taps off the Icom R20 and the Uniden BCT-15 (presumably for computer monitoring), plus that the quick eBay pricing of the R20 is something like $500... do you have any particular thoughts or opinions on Software Defined Radio such as GNUradio using the Universal Software Radio Peripheral?

p.s. Who doesn't love those TCP/IP Illustrated books?

hehe, yes the GNU radio is awesome however its awesome when you have cash. After you pick up the 700$ radio then you have 99-300$ daughter boards and you need 4-6 to really use the device to do work with them, very cool if your going to be reverse compiling and rebuilding transmitters If you would like to donate to my cause hell yea, I really want to do some top secret work with the radio (seeing as you have any frequency TX to mess with electronics) some day... after I get my Icom746Pro however that's my next radio purchase. RFID killer bees!

now for opinions its fairly complex to construct the Tx for communication with devices, Im no super programmer and myself would have a lot of trouble. as for the Rx obviously the R20 will do everything the GNU will do when its D-Tap and its a good place to get started. so in the end if you have the cash and know why your buying the GNU then HELL YES, if you just want a radio to tinker with the R20 will let you diagnose with a scope and sound card and make you want a GNU-radio :)

if I have a GNU radio order #1,2,3 would be top secret hacks Im working on. #30 would be see if you can decrypt opensky and TCP/IP Radio

Last edited:

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
:lol: Nerd room indeed. Anyone with a DNS/BIND and TCP illustrated on there shelf would have to be nerd or student. :lol:

I shouldn't talk. I have chemistry books, lock picking books, electronic books and what have you in the bookshelf behind me. :lol: Think my SAS fighting techniques Handbook beats reading about BIND any day. :lol:

Nice toys!

Status
Not open for further replies.