Never noticed a neat feature on UASD

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I was playing around with UASD 396, and UASD 996 and UASD BCT15 today and noticed something I have never saw before.

When creating a new system, when you use the drop down to select the system type, you can secect "Race." Then set this up for racing. This is a great tool for racing fans.

I have no use for it, but it is really cool for those who do. You can enter multiple frequencies per car, etc.

I am sure others have seen this but I never noticed it before. Just thought it was neat.

matt

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That system type is only included so that the UASD is compatibile across models. You cannot actually move a Race system into any scanner other than the BR330T and SC230.

safetyobc

UPMan said:
That system type is only included so that the UASD is compatibile across models. You cannot actually move a Race system into any scanner other than the BR330T and SC230.

O

Well it would have been neat to be able to create a race system for the BCD396T if ever needed using that format.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
safetyobc said:
O

Well it would have been neat to be able to create a race system for the BCD396T if ever needed using that format.

I don't know about you but I would never consider taking my $500 + radio to a race. I use a PRO-99 (great little radio) and a SC200 for the races. The PRO-99 is perfect for the races and performs much better then the SC200.

safetyobc

Dubbin said:
I don't know about you but I would never consider taking my $500 + radio to a race. I use a PRO-99 (great little radio) and a SC200 for the races. The PRO-99 is perfect for the races and performs much better then the SC200.

True, would never take the 396 to a race, I just thought the feature was neat. My son has a Pro-99 and it is a great scanner. Very sensitive.

matt

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Dubbin said:

For those of us who haven't been to a race, would you care to share?

I've taken my radio to theme parks & airshows. What's so toxic about races?

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
Rednecks and beer!

Ok, so I can see how the beer may hurt the scanner, but rednecks? ;)

But seriously though, is there a lot of spilled/flying beer at the show? Forget the scanner if folks are spilling beer on you, I'm not sure I'd want to go.

safetyobc

b52hbuff said:
Ok, so I can see how the beer may hurt the scanner, but rednecks? ;)

But seriously though, is there a lot of spilled/flying beer at the show? Forget the scanner if folks are spilling beer on you, I'm not sure I'd want to go.

I was only joking, I have never been.

I would just think that taking a $500 scanner would be dangerous. It could be dropped, knocked down by others unintentionally that are jumping up to see a wreck or cheer for their driver, sudden rain storms, etc. etc. etc. Thousands of reasons not to take it. Especially when you can buy a used race scanner really cheap. I bought my son's Pro-99 on these forums for around $50 or $60!

But if you want to take your scanner to a race, it is your scanner.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
safetyobc said:
I was only joking, I have never been.

But if you want to take your scanner to a race, it is your scanner.

True, probably time for another thread, but I carry my scanner in a 'photographers vest'. It's pretty secure. :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You can hear the conversation between the pit crew, spotters, and drivers. This adds tremendously to the experience, especially if you are a casual fan. I went to the Lowes race a couple of weeks ago in NC. Great radio action right after wrecks. You get to hear passing strategies, pit-stop strategies, what they plan to do to the car, how the car is handling for the driver, etc.

Jimmy Johnson's radio was whacked...he could hear the pit crew, but his PTT was flakey, so they could only get 1 or 2 words at a time from him. At one point, they were trying to get his opinion on an equipment change:

"Raise your arm out the window on the next pass if you think we should drop it by 100 lbs."

No arm out the window. Next pass:

"Raise your arm out the window if you think we should raise it by 100 lbs."

Still no arm out the window. Finally:

"Hell, raise your arm out the window if you can even hear this."

Basically, if you go to the race without a scanner, you are just sitting there waiting for a wreck.

safetyobc

UPMan said:
You can hear the conversation between the pit crew, spotters, and drivers. This adds tremendously to the experience, especially if you are a casual fan. I went to the Lowes race a couple of weeks ago in NC. Great radio action right after wrecks. You get to hear passing strategies, pit-stop strategies, what they plan to do to the car, how the car is handling for the driver, etc.

Jimmy Johnson's radio was whacked...he could hear the pit crew, but his PTT was flakey, so they could only get 1 or 2 words at a time from him. At one point, they were trying to get his opinion on an equipment change:

"Raise your arm out the window on the next pass if you think we should drop it by 100 lbs."

No arm out the window. Next pass:

"Raise your arm out the window if you think we should raise it by 100 lbs."

Still no arm out the window. Finally:

"Hell, raise your arm out the window if you can even hear this."

Basically, if you go to the race without a scanner, you are just sitting there waiting for a wreck.

UPMan, just out of curiousity, what scanner did you use?

BR330T?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
PRO-99.

Just kidding. :lol:

I was using a BR330T and I set up my boss with an SC230.

Status
Not open for further replies.