New antenna on OPP cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Command30

I have a Larsen NMO5E825B (twin coil 824-896MHz) that looks quite similar. For scanning, reception is excellent across all of the bands I monitor.

uncleblackie

I have a Larsen NMO5E825B (twin coil 824-896MHz) that looks quite similar. For scanning, reception is excellent across all of the bands I monitor.

When I used to live in the GTA, a wideband 800mhz antenna was one of the antennas I used for scanning as well.

I found that the antenna was long enough that it was sufficient for monitoring vhf/uhf as well as the York Region 800mhz system, yet would not receive as much intermod in high rf environments as a longer antenna like the Larsen dual bander I originally mentioned.

mrweather

Seeing as how I live in the boonies known as zone 3 (it's civilization though compared to zone 4) and only get to the GTA about once a month, it seemed new to me. When did they start equipping the cruisers with them?
I first started noticing them maybe 6-8 months ago.

JAFFO

The new antenna is for the MWS in the vehicles that are equipped with them. It replaces the 'hockey puck' style antenna's that were 1-in the center above the back window, and then 2- one on each side of the rear window at the foof/window line.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Around Ottawa (Carleton Place and Rockland) I have seen Mag mount antennas recently on OPP marked vehicles very similar to the old Radio Shack Mag Mount Scanner Antennas... Comms monitored on local TG's make me think some officers are bringing scanners in their Cruisers. Hopefully I can confirm early next week.

Last edited:

takeme

Was Oakvillecub
Banned
new antenna on OPP cruisers

these antennas are just simply gain antennas for their vehicle repeaters with their UHF portables - just so they can go farther away from their crusiers.

these are larson 5/8 wave antennas for 410-418.0 mhz

DaveH

Around Ottawa (Carleton Place and Rockland) I have seen Mag mount antennas recently on OPP marked vehicles very similar to the old Radio Shack Mag Mount Scanner Antennas... Comms monitored on local TG's make me think some officers are bringing scanners in their Cruisers. Hopefully I can confirm early next week.

I've just seen one of these on an OPP SUV in Ottawa but it didn't look like a mag-mount,
definitely not the RS mobile scanner antenna (in this case).

Dave

DaveH

these antennas are just simply gain antennas for their vehicle repeaters with their UHF portables - just so they can go farther away from their crusiers.

these are larson 5/8 wave antennas for 410-418.0 mhz

I don't believe they are. The position of the two coils indicates multi-band,
and why would they need that for UHF only? Position of the lowest coil
above the base suggests 800MHz.

Dave

Command30

Talked to an officer yesterday, he confirmed these were for the car-mounted workstations (MWS). As mentioned by several other posters!

Sorry for the super large size

IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8541.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.