New BCD996P2 Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

digger937

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I just bought a BCD996P2, according to documentation I can find on it, it supports the "Project 25 Phase I" system. Which is what PD and FD have here in MN. I have tried both FreeScan and ARC-XT (trial mode for ARC for now, but became a member of Radio Reference to do automatic setup of my area). Both applications seemed to work, and the scanner took the download with no errors. However, the scanner never picks anything up (and yes I have validated that a talk group that is setup has activity). Could it be something that I am doing, or could be a problem with the scanner. For reference, I got the scanner used from Amazon, so I guess the scanner could be not in fully functional order. As part of troubleshooting, I hooked the scanner up to the antenna for my Bearcat 350A, I know that thing picks up 2 meter and 70cm no problem.

Any thoughts / tips or tricks I could be missing.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I just bought a BCD996P2, according to documentation I can find on it, it supports the "Project 25 Phase I" system. Which is what PD and FD have here in MN. I have tried both FreeScan and ARC-XT (trial mode for ARC for now, but became a member of Radio Reference to do automatic setup of my area). Both applications seemed to work, and the scanner took the download with no errors. However, the scanner never picks anything up (and yes I have validated that a talk group that is setup has activity). Could it be something that I am doing, or could be a problem with the scanner. For reference, I got the scanner used from Amazon, so I guess the scanner could be not in fully functional order. As part of troubleshooting, I hooked the scanner up to the antenna for my Bearcat 350A, I know that thing picks up 2 meter and 70cm no problem.

Any thoughts / tips or tricks I could be missing.
See if you can pick up the local NOAA weather station. If you cannot hear that either, with a known good antenna (like from your other scanner), then it sounds like you got a defective unit. What's wrong with it would only be a guess, but if you hear nothing on the weather, nor any other local frequency, then you may need to return it as defective. Hopefully, you are within the returns window.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I presume you are attempting to monitor the Minnesota ARMER System. That's a very complex system and has to be programmed a certain way (correct sites and correct talkgroups).

So much of where you live and do your scanning is a factor. For example, if you live in the heart of Bloomington, listening to Minneapolis Fire may not happen.

If you can let us know in which specific city you live, we might be able to help you better.

Alternatively if you can zip your programming file and attach it to a reply post, I'll be happy to look at it. (While I live in Louisville, I'm a Minneapolis native and regularly visit family there).

digger937

Premium Subscriber
Good point, I forgot to mention that. I tuned into 162.550 and the signal was very poor, especially sitting next to the 350A.

I got the scanner on Friday, so should be able to still return it. I haven't tried tried any of the HAM stations, but with it not working for 800, I wasn't to keen on spending more time messing with it. Seems like its a lost cause. Shucks.

digger937

Premium Subscriber
I presume you are attempting to monitor the Minnesota ARMER System. That's a very complex system and has to be programmed a certain way (correct sites and correct talkgroups).

So much of where you live and do your scanning is a factor. For example, if you live in the heart of Bloomington, listening to Minneapolis Fire may not happen.

If you can let us know in which specific city you live, we might be able to help you better.

I live in Crystal, was hoping to pickup Crystal PD, FD and would be nice to be able to setup a separate group for MPLS PD and metro Hennepin county fire. I can get Hennepin county on 142.2850 (that's from memory so could be wrong on the exact frequency.) So think I should be close enough to pick up mpls.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You'll be able to get Crystal PD and FD fine. I believe PD is on the HCSO East talkgroup on either the Hennepine East or Hennepin West towers/sites. Fire will be on the Hennepin Fire Main or Hennepin Fire Tacs as assigned, also on the Hennepin East/West towers/sites.

Minneapolis PD and FD might be a little iffy. They are on the Minneapolis NS Tower/site. When we are in Bloomington, sometimes I get Minneapolis and sometimes I don't. Certainly worth trying.

Should get state patrol fine on Hennepin towers and also be sure to program interoperability talkgroups (ME Tacs, L_Tacs, S_Tacs). Good stuff on them.

If you can send me your programming file, I'll be happy to look at it. Can do either FreeScan or ARC, with ARC being the one I use most.

digger937

Premium Subscriber
You'll be able to get Crystal PD and FD fine. I believe PD is on the HCSO East talkgroup on either the Hennepine East or Hennepin West towers/sites. Fire will be on the Hennepin Fire Main or Hennepin Fire Tacs as assigned, also on the Hennepin East/West towers/sites.

Minneapolis PD and FD might be a little iffy. They are on the Minneapolis NS Tower/site. When we are in Bloomington, sometimes I get Minneapolis and sometimes I don't. Certainly worth trying.

Should get state patrol fine on Hennepin towers and also be sure to program interoperability talkgroups (ME Tacs, L_Tacs, S_Tacs). Good stuff on them.

If you can send me your programming file, I'll be happy to look at it. Can do either FreeScan or ARC, with ARC being the one I use most.

As I am actually new to this site, How would I send you one of my test files? Think I still have a upload or two left on ARC (will pay for it, if that is what ultimately works). Or if you have a sample file, I could try out?

Thank you for your help

digger937

Premium Subscriber
You may have answered a lot of your own question. After you return it they will turn around and resell it used once again.

BTW, I think you are right. However, I figured I would toss the question out there in case someone goes oh btw, you need to do x, z, then y...Something not abundantly obvious.

From the way people have helped with my questions, I am glad I signed up with Radio Reference. Seems like a good community.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Give the attached file a shot and see what happens. It is a Freescan file. You'll probably want to clean it up some for your preferences.

You'll have to unzip the file, note where it is stored on your computer, then open it will FreeScan.

Sharing/uploading files takes a little effort. First, using your Windows Explorer, select the desired file, then right click "Send to Compressed File" noting the zip file folder location.

Then open the Radio Reference forum, and compose your message. Clock the Advanced button and go down to Additional Options. Locate the Manage Attachments button and click it. Another pop-up window opens where you can Browse for that zipped file. Locate it and highlight it. Then click Upload.

Then Submit Reply.

(Yeah it takes getting used to)

Last edited:

digger937

Premium Subscriber
Give the attached file a shot and see what happens. It is a Freescan file. You'll probably want to clean it up some for your preferences.

You'll have to unzip the file, note where it is stored on your computer, then open it will FreeScan.

Sharing/uploading files takes a little effort. First, using your Windows Explorer, select the desired file, then right click "Send to Compressed File" noting the zip file folder location.

Then open the Radio Reference forum, and compose your message. Clock the Advanced button and go down to Additional Options. Locate the Manage Attachments button and click it. Another pop-up window opens where you can Browse for that zipped file. Locate it and highlight it. Then click Upload.

Then Submit Reply.

(Yeah it takes getting used to)

Well okay that settles that, I have some more learning to do on this scanner, your file WORKS! I am able to get car to car, and I think Hennepin dispatch). This is an operator issue, and not a scanner issue.

I think can take your file and learn from it.

Thank you, so much for your help. That is awesome!

Also, thank you for tips on uploading.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Glad it worked.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to receive Minneapolis talkgroups on the Minneapolis NS site?

Also, you have two learning curves. One is the actual ARMER system, which is very complex in the Metro area with all the sub-systems and how they interact.

Then the second one is just learning how to program the scanner with the software.

You will make mistakes - we all have and it will be frustrating. Just be patient and positive - things will fall into place eventually.

digger937

Premium Subscriber
Glad it worked.

Just out of curiosity, were you able to receive Minneapolis talkgroups on the Minneapolis NS site?

Also, you have two learning curves. One is the actual ARMER system, which is very complex in the Metro area with all the sub-systems and how they interact.

Then the second one is just learning how to program the scanner with the software.

You will make mistakes - we all have and it will be frustrating. Just be patient and positive - things will fall into place eventually.

So far its stopping mostly on Hennepin East. However, right now its sitting next to my monitors / computers so I expect reception to be sketchy. Though I think I saw Minneapolis C2C (I am also doing some work so not really looking at it).

The features of the scanner look really cool and flexible. Just been trying to figure out the primary usage (ARMER).

At least I know for sure the scanner works! That is awesome.

Timmeh-31

Premium Subscriber
Hi and welcome, digger! Glad you were able to get things sorted on your 996P2. I've had mine for a bit under 2 months now, and love it! I'm still using the stock antenna (from within a concrete and steel high rise, no less) and it still manages to pull out some otherwise muddy signals with great aplomb. I can typically not only cover my home county (Onondaga, NY) but the adjacent counties as well.

Once you get used to the radio's preferred syntax and the intricacies of your local radio traffic, this little honey really sings! Best of luck, and congrats on getting a great scanner! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.