New BCD996T with newbie issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
I just got my BCD996T hooked up last night. I used BCTool to program it, and everything seemed fine. This morning when I turned it on, it was picking up all the programmed channels, but the signal would cut in and out constantly. ~3 seconds of full signal, followed by ~1 second of silence.

At first I thought this was some sort of atmospheric issue, but I hooked up my handheld SC230 next to it on another antenna feed and the SC230 broadcast loud and clear on the same frequency while the BCD996T oscillated.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Highpockets

walterb said:
I just got my BCD996T hooked up last night. I used BCTool to program it, and everything seemed fine. This morning when I turned it on, it was picking up all the programmed channels, but the signal would cut in and out constantly. ~3 seconds of full signal, followed by ~1 second of silence.

At first I thought this was some sort of atmospheric issue, but I hooked up my handheld SC230 next to it on another antenna feed and the SC230 broadcast loud and clear on the same frequency while the BCD996T oscillated.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Sounds like you have something turned on, check close call, Ch priority, Wx priority.

walterb

Premium Subscriber
could be.

I know somehow I hit the wrong button on the scanner and now it wants to cycle though the preset railroad freqencies. I thought I had turned it off, but this morning when I turned the unit back on it decided to SCAN, then run though the Railroad channels.

I was also playing with the WX trying to set the SAME FIPS for my county.

I'll have to play with it tonight when I get home.

thanks for the help.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
As highpockets said make sure those are turned off, this is the solution about 90% of the time when people report its cutting in and out

If your Railroad search is on turn it off / lock it out as well

Hit lockout TWICE...
one time only temporary locks it out, and that means when you turn it off, then back on the Railroad will be unlocked again

walterb

Premium Subscriber
torontokris said:
As highpockets said make sure those are turned off, this is the solution about 90% of the time when people report its cutting in and out

If your Railroad search is on turn it off / lock it out as well

Hit lockout TWICE...
one time only temporary locks it out, and that means when you turn it off, then back on the Railroad will be unlocked again

thanks. I'm almost sure thats it. I only hit it once (what was I thinking.. :)

It seems to be a great scanner. I do need to read the manual a bit more.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Been there, done that...

I took me a little while to figure out the source of that problem too.

Nice little feature on my BCT15 is the Close Call Do Not Disturb function... Pretty useful and I leave it on all the time since it only activates between channel transmissions. Not sure if the 996 has it or not though. I know my 396 doesn't.

Enjoy the new scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.