New BCD996XT owner needs help with P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromdome35

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD996XT that my wife gave me. I've read the manual, bought the easier to read manual, read the forums here etc...

I live in Fayetteville Arkansas where we have a P25 system (AWIN) in use. Using ProScan and the RadioReference database I've been able to program the scanner to receive my local police and fire departments. I set this up as a system called "Fayetteville AWIN" then created a site underneath it with the tower frequencies. I setup two groups, one for PD and one for FD each with the talk group ID's.

Our state police also use the statewide AWIN system and I have their talkgroup ID's.

Here's my question...

Can I setup two different systems, one for the state police and one for the local police/fire? I would basically setup the State Police System with the site (tower freq's) and a group with the talk group ID's. Since i'm duplicating the site under two different systems, will that create an issue within the scanner or can it handle the same tower freqs under two different systems?

SCPD

QRT
That will work just fine. I have a local system split into three - Cleveland PD/FD/EMS, Cuyahoga County SO, and Suburbs which are all on the GCRCN system.

jtsmith82391

You could also utilize the quick key function, set PD as 1, FD as 2, State Police as 3, etc. to turn them on or off, hold on the system and press the function knob then press the corresponding number.

ktreece

Premium Subscriber
Fort Smith here! Just picked up the 396XT after years of nothing. I am way behind.

I've been reading the "Easy" manual but it just makes little sense to me. Perhaps if I can get one entry in, then some of it will start to go together.

I'd like to enter our local police to start out with. http://www.fortsmithpd.org/PDFs/RadioScannerInfo.pdf
From what I read in that pdf, here's how I went to set it up, and got stuck.

Program System > New System> P25?? (I wasn't sure what to put here, but I chose P25 as that seemed right from searching) > Standard Trunk??? >

First off, how do you know what to choose? Then, once that's squared away, do I go and add a group in for each of the 14 codes?

Sorry guys, I know these are rookie questions, but maybe if I can get one or two entered, I can start to see a frame to how everything works. Right now, I am just lost.

(Hope I didn't hijack, I saw Fayetteville and was kinda shocked)

Chromdome35

Premium Subscriber
Fort Smith here! Just picked up the 396XT after years of nothing. I am way behind.

I've been reading the "Easy" manual but it just makes little sense to me. Perhaps if I can get one entry in, then some of it will start to go together.

I'd like to enter our local police to start out with. http://www.fortsmithpd.org/PDFs/RadioScannerInfo.pdf

Program System > New System> P25?? (I wasn't sure what to put here, but I chose P25 as that seemed right from searching) > Standard Trunk??? >

First off, how do you know what to choose? Then, once that's squared away, do I go and add a group in for each of the 14 codes?

Sorry guys, I know these are rookie questions, but maybe if I can get one or two entered, I can start to see a frame to how everything works. Right now, I am just lost.

1st - Do you have a programming cable (USB to Scanner) and Software? Or are you trying to program it via the interface on the scanner itself?

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Can I setup two different systems, one for the state police and one for the local police/fire? I would basically setup the State Police System with the site (tower freq's) and a group with the talk group ID's. Since i'm duplicating the site under two different systems, will that create an issue within the scanner or can it handle the same tower freqs under two different systems?

The scanner will work with that setup. However, each time the scanner needs to acquire a control channel there is a 1-2 second delay. By having duplicate "sites" in different systems you would be adding an unnecessary delay and missing transmissions (if the "locals" are talking while you're scanning the "state" system, you will not hear it and vice versa).

A much better solution is to use multiple groups in a single system--I can elaborate if you like.

I believe it is considered a hijack but since the OP's question has been answered I will continue.

First off, the PDF you linked to is incomplete. All the info is in the database: Arkansas Wireless Information Network (AWIN)
You've got a good start (use Standard Trunk) and need to create a "site" for the Fort Smith Simulcast and enter the frequencies in there. Then you need to add the talkgroups to "groups" within the "system". Follow the P25 instructions here: Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

The Fort Smith site is a 2 tower simulcast which might cause problems with the 396XT. If you questions specific to that area or system, try the Arkansas Radio Discussion Forum

Chromdome35

Premium Subscriber
The scanner will work with that setup. However, each time the scanner needs to acquire a control channel there is a 1-2 second delay. By having duplicate "sites" in different systems you would be adding an unnecessary delay and missing transmissions (if the "locals" are talking while you're scanning the "state" system, you will not hear it and vice versa).

A much better solution is to use multiple groups in a single system--I can elaborate if you like.

Thank you!. I actually currently have it setup as you recommended and it is working fine

ktreece

Premium Subscriber
1st - Do you have a programming cable (USB to Scanner) and Software? Or are you trying to program it via the interface on the scanner itself?

I don't have my cable yet, because the BCD396XT came with a serial. I threw my serial/USBs in the junk box during last garage sale. I thought surely I wouldn't ever need them again…. I thought wrong.

I ordered one, should be here shortly. Reading, it seems that it makes things a lot easier.

Chromdome35

Premium Subscriber
I don't have my cable yet, because the BCD396XT came with a serial. I threw my serial/USBs in the junk box during last garage sale. I thought surely I wouldn't ever need them again…. I thought wrong.

I ordered one, should be here shortly. Reading, it seems that it makes things a lot easier.
The difference between success and throwing it through the wall (in my case)

Chromdome35

Premium Subscriber
Using the USB cable, ProScan, and the Radio Reference Database, I have mine up and rocking now.

Next step is to get a better antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.