New BCT-15 scanner announced today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewC75

UNIDEN ANNOUNCES GPS-ENABLED BEARTRACKER SCANNER
New Mobile Model Features Close Call™ Technology and Trunk Tracker® III
LAS VEGAS, Nevada, January 5, 2006 – Uniden America Corporation, a leading manufacturer of wireless consumer electronics, today introduced a new mobile scanner, the Bearcat® BCT15 from the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), January 5 - 8, 2006, at the Las Vegas Convention Center, booth # 12044 in the Central Hall. This model extends Uniden’s line of GPS-enabled scanners that automatically select nearby radio systems for scanning. The BCT15 also offers Uniden’s unique BearTracker system, which alerts mobile users to public safety activity in their area as well as Close Call® RF Capture Technology that automatically locks onto nearby signals with no programming necessary.
The GPS-enabled feature offered by the BCT15 provides automatic system selection, which permits the scanner to turn system reception on or off depending on the user’s location, and allows the user to customize the scanner display to show location-based information.
In addition, when a GPS unit, not included with this scanner, is connected to the BCT15, the scanner will send alerts at areas of special interest, such as dangerous intersections, school zones, or general points of interest.
Uniden’s BCT15 is poised to further enhance Uniden’s offerings for public safety officials and frequent travelers who need to be in-the-know about what is going on in their current locations. With its preprogrammed information for each state tunes users into state and local public safety faster than ever before.
The Bearcat® BCT15 also offers Close Call™ RF Capture Technology, Dynamic Memory Management, Fire Tone-Out, and Multi-site programming as well as 2,500 channels and a frequency range of 25 MHz to 1.3 GHz (excluding cellular and UHF TV
-overfrequencies).
This new model is slated to hit retail shelves in summer 2006 and carries a MSRP of $379.99.
“Uniden is leading the industry with innovative features that enhance the capabilities and usability of scanner products,” said Paul Opitz, product manager at Uniden America Corporation. “The BCT15 continues Uniden’s tradition of delivering high-quality, user-friendly products to its consumers.”
An extended list of features will be available on the Uniden America Corp. website (www.uniden.com).
About Uniden
Uniden America Corporation, the North American subsidiary of Japan-based Uniden Corporation, manufactures and markets wireless consumer electronic products including cordless telephones, business telecommunications systems, VOIP telephones, Bearcat® scanners, FRS/GMRS radios, marine radios, CB radios, and other wireless personal communications products. Based in Fort Worth, Texas, Uniden sells its products through dealers and distributors throughout North, Central and South America.
###

safetyobc

Yeah, should make a very nice analog mobile scanner. I would like to have one myself but would likely only use it for conventional since the only public safety system near me is digital but I have the 396 for that.

How many people actually will use the GPS feature? I don't own a GPS nor do I have any plans to get one. I suppose it is a great feature for those who travel a lot.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I like the GPS feature because it will allow me to forget about changing "banks" or systems by hand. Just drive in the radius of the system and it will turn on for you. Then you won't have to fumble with the radio when driving and it will keep only the systems you need active so you will not miss any of the action due to scanning of unused frequencies or trunk systems.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I'd definately use it and the low MSRP shows it to be an affordable unit in its release.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Misread. Delete function needed ;>

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
What leads you to beleave it won't do trunking? The BCT-8 is a TrunkTracker III also. I just wish it would do APCO-25 also.

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Sure hope this new offering has CTCSS/DCS and alpha tags...

That would be sweet.

I wonder if this is essentially a 996T chassis with no digital modes and the Beartracker feature.

n3ijw

Premium Subscriber
oregontreehugger said:
+1, as that is all that keeps the bct8 from being a great analog scanner.

Edit: Just a WAG, but considering it has all those GPS related features (location-based info, alerts, etc), I guess it's a pretty safe bet alpha tags are a part of the package. No CTCSS/DPL would be a dumb omission, but it was a dumb omission on the bct8 too.

yeah, pics please :D

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
If someone would take some pictures... What happened to the guy who took pictures at last years CES.
He had some great pictures last year and went home and posted them right away.

safetyobc

oregontreehugger said:

I am curious about this as well. If it doesn't have alpha tags, it is of no use to me so I hope it does have the text.

What is the estimated sale price of the scanner? I see the MSRP but the sale price is usually much lower. Any guesses?

MacombMonitor

rdale said:
I'd imagine most users here would avoid due to lack of trunking...

New BCT-15 scanner announced today!
UNIDEN ANNOUNCES GPS-ENABLED BEARTRACKER SCANNER
New Mobile Model Features Close Call™ Technology and Trunk Tracker® III

RolnCode3

DaveIN said:
Very cool! Even without APCO-25 this one will be a winner as a mobile.
Personally, I say BECAUSE of the lack of digital, this is (hopefully) a winner. I can't afford to buy many $500+ scanners...but I can afford to buy 2 kick butt analog scanners at 250-300 a piece. The 996 will be great with digital, but affordable PL/DPL alphatagged scanners are what I need from time to time...and with the newest features (dynamic memory)...can't wait to see some photos, etc...

RolnCode3 said:
Personally, I say BECAUSE of the lack of digital, this is (hopefully) a winner. I can't afford to buy many $500+ scanners..

Yup your right lack of digital. this is a big plus for me no digital in my area as I was ready to buy a BC796D now I can wait and save some money.

hjvan

Premium Subscriber
Looks like this will be a pretty nice scanner! Can anyone recommend a decent, affordable GPS unit that one could use with a scanner like this? Would prefer Garmin brand if possible.

Also, found this group already posted on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BCT15

MacombMonitor

DaveIN said:
I like the GPS feature because it will allow me to forget about changing "banks" or systems by hand. Just drive in the radius of the system and it will turn on for you. Then you won't have to fumble with the radio when driving and it will keep only the systems you need active so you will not miss any of the action due to scanning of unused frequencies or trunk systems.

Such a feature could work against you too. But it should have some type of overide.

Status
Not open for further replies.