• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New CB radio options. Can’t choose.

slowmover

Hey slomover, I thought you were gonna get an Anytone 5555N II. So did ya? I'm still loving mine.

After last years injury laid me up for months I’m playing catch-up with “priorities” in $$ now that I’m back at work.

The myantennas CMC Choke will come first.

Am on Version 1.2 of the big truck slip seater rig. 959b with 7’ Skipshooter & P-E filters at each end. Thru an RM7505 now I’ve learned from others how to keep it from shutting down (heat; design glitch). Only a little more umph than a 203 when run at half, but it’s obvious at other end, and I want to keep the amp draw low.

Big thing is first, power & audio to speaker (18’), then main power. Have mock-ups almost done before I get back home to cut & terminate the expensive stuff (heavier AWG) and to order shielded audio cable. (Think, harnesses).

All this has to be kept out of the way to work & live here. It’s a mobile install, but the cabling/wiring is mainly across floor. Tedious stuff, but it’s heart & soul of the install.

I look forward to the ATQ5/N2, but it’s second place to the cophase antenna setup for when I move to next tractor later this year. So, the SIRIO studs, probably the SIRIO 3/8 Trucker antennas as well. Then how to beef & better bond mounts.

I already “know” what I have with this Galaxy. Wish I’d started with this model ten years ago. The Lincoln I now have in the pickup I used in the big truck while. While it’s a superior radio . . that all RX sounded equidistant was a problem. (I temper decisions made on the fly with audio cues).

If the AT radio does the same as the Linc , I want the supporting systems already top-notch. It may be that distinguishing what I’ve previously posted as the Four Types of Mobile RX isn’t hindered. But my expectation of a newer digital radio is that equidistance “problem” is likely.

Happily, the radio is inexpensive. And the completed truck install isn’t terribly far from done (single antenna for now).

Left the house with this pictured change besides re-building radio carrier.

Added info to Skip Noise thread that this location above & behind one’s head worth every effort. Much easier to adjust controls for clarity thru Skip all day.

But it’s a long ways from radio; need to connect (2) 10’ 3.5-mm cables, but have to find female double first so I don’t have to disconnect to walk to sleeper.

Truck driver life is full of inconveniences.

C52EB93D-740B-43F8-B2DE-4CC3CC679589.jpeg

Long answer to short question, granted. CB is as necessary as food & water carried aboard.

Two months into the job it’s not as though I have the rest of the truck organized to suit, either. Learning the job & the ways of a new company is the real priority. All else takes a back seat to avoidance of fatigue without making mistakes costing time or damage as the truck itself is first priority.

Drilling into those details a bible of books as long as Applegates Mobile Install Guide.

If a trucker is awake, he’s already at work in all ways imaginable.

Last edited: