New CPD Digital System

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRover

Does anyone have a clue as to when this will be up and running ? I would like to purchase a 396 XT to use for this system and SC21. Also can anyone say if the preloaded systems included in the 396XT will follow SC21 without any tweaking ? Thank you !

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
When i purchased my 396XT a year ago System Quick Key-28 has about 75 tower-Sites for the ILL Starcom, the 800mgz sites were NOT rebanded so i changed all the 800mgz freqy's 15mgz lower for the rebanding...The complete Starcom system 800mgz has now been rebanded...Also, those Sites programmed in SQK-28 are not labeled where they are so i matched them up with proper locations using "text", it took along time to revise SQK-28....I now purchased a 996XT and had to do the same....You need to print the ILL Starcom Tower-Freqy -TalkGroup set up on Home Page.......

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
CPD Digital

So far, nothing new here. Their has been some intermittent testing for range, but that's about it. They have been using the new UHF narrowband frequencies for this. If all goes as planned, that means little or no encryption, you should be able to monitor this system when it switches. Right now, the fire department is ready to have EMS switch to a digital convential system when they give the green light. Fire will follow after that, then CPD. Many dates I have heard and related, but always seem to be some delay. I have stopped reporting these time frames till I get more confirmation. You have pleanty of time and i'm sure they'll be the next generation of digital scanners by the time of it's implementation.

TheRover

Thank you Werinshades...
I have been following newspaper reports for the last several years. The last mention was that they were upgrading or replacing several towers that were in substandard condition. I also read about a limited amount of encryption planned for gang or tact. channels as the local gangbangers have been found to be using analog scanners. I have spoken with some CFD paramedics and they are not impressed with the new portables they have been using. They have some with yellow cases.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Yes the towers have been replaced and new receiver sites are installed and functioning. All the CFD EMS "canary yellow" portables , have been upgraded with the new digital channels and are ready to go. The current apparatus radios in the ambulances, are not capable of being re-programmed with the new digital channels. The newer EMS apparatus radios (found in EMS Field Chiefs and Battalion Chiefs buggies) do have the capabilities of the digital upgrade and many already have them in one of the banks. Prior to the digital switch, i'll assume their will be some sort of quick refresher training, to eliminate confusion. From all the testing I have heard, it sounds very good but everyday usage will determine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.