New Eneloops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Since I've operated my GRE PSR 500, I've learned that some batteries hold their charge longer than others. I have really enjoyed using Sanyo Eneloop AA's. They are wonderful.

Now, I have found an upgraded version of this great battery in case anyone is interested:

Amazon.com: Sanyo XX Battery Powered by eneloop, 2500mAh typical / 2400 mAh minimum High Capacity, 4 Pack AA Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

Although I this links shows the 4 pack AA set, I purchased the 8 pack & shipping was free.

Highpockets

Since I've operated my GRE PSR 500, I've learned that some batteries hold their charge longer than others. I have really enjoyed using Sanyo Eneloop AA's. They are wonderful.

Now, I have found an upgraded version of this great battery in case anyone is interested:

Amazon.com: Sanyo XX Battery Powered by eneloop, 2500mAh typical / 2400 mAh minimum High Capacity, 4 Pack AA Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

Although I this links shows the 4 pack AA set, I purchased the 8 pack & shipping was free.

I picked them up when they first came out, I've had excellent results with them and that's all I will buy now.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've had good results with the 2400mAH Imedion batteries (made by Maha). But the Eneloops are always a good choice.

questnz

Please notice Sanyo XX can be charged up to 500 times, original Enelopes can be charged up to 1500 times and Maha Imedions up to 1000 times.

jackj

Also note that the later Eneloop 2000 MAh will hold their charge for 3 yrs, the XX for only 1 yr.

Ensnared

Yes, I Noticed

Please notice Sanyo XX can be charged up to 500 times, original Enelopes can be charged up to 1500 times and Maha Imedions up to 1000 times.

I've noticed the statements made with these batteries regarding the number of times they can be recharged. But, I know for a fact that I have recharged the white Eneloops well over the limit posted. Of course, I won't know until I take them for a drive & test them out.

The downside of these batteries, the cost.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I've noticed the statements made with these batteries regarding the number of times they can be recharged. But, I know for a fact that I have recharged the white Eneloops well over the limit posted. Of course, I won't know until I take them for a drive & test them out.

The downside of these batteries, the cost.

Those numbers come directly from the manufacturer, so they are worth noting. You're talking about 1/3 the amount of charge/discharge cycles with the XX series as compared with the standard series, which is significant. Also note that those numbers are the minimum amount of charge/discharge cycles the battery will tolerate without a noticeable loss in performance. You may be able to get quite a few more charge/discharge cycles out of them above the stated numbers, but their capacity will start to decrease at some point.

af0h

I think depth of discharge and charging rate has more to do with their usable life and capacity than anything.

I've had great results in my Pro-95 with the Maha Powerxx AA's, but the Eneloops I have do hold a percentage of charge longer.

If they don't get used often, then the Eneloops are probably your best bet.

Ensnared

No Good

Those numbers come directly from the manufacturer, so they are worth noting. You're talking about 1/3 the amount of charge/discharge cycles with the XX series as compared with the standard series, which is significant. Also note that those numbers are the minimum amount of charge/discharge cycles the battery will tolerate without a noticeable loss in performance. You may be able to get quite a few more charge/discharge cycles out of them above the stated numbers, but their capacity will start to decrease at some point.

That is a deal-breaker for me since I recharge these daily. So, when I get them, I will return them to Amazon. Then, I will order the original Eneloops, I know they work well. Thanks for the feedback.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Also note that the later Eneloop 2000 MAh will hold their charge for 3 yrs, the XX for only 1 yr.

Really?

That is a long time for a rechargeable battery.
After three years, what percentage of the original full charge is still left, do you know?

It has been years since I studied battery technology. I think the last real reading I did was just after NiMH became popular and I studied the charging circuits used. I guess I should find some good reading about the technology used in these eneloops and see what I've been missing!
I don't use a lot of battery powered devices though but having something that is rechargable and holds a charge for three years would be nice.
I use mine just enough that they are about dead when I really need them so I end up using alkaline's when there is an extended power failure as my cache of NiMH batts will all be self discharged due to low use.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The package indicates 85% charge retention after 1 year, 80% after 2 years, and 75% after 3 years. That's for the 2000 mAH cells that can be recharged 1500 times.

Ensnared

Split the Difference

I've had good results with the 2400mAH Imedion batteries (made by Maha). But the Eneloops are always a good choice.

Well, I cancelled the order for the new Eneloops and went with Imedion since they said these can be recharged around 1,000 times. The white Eneloops were 1500 recharges. I split the difference and saved $10.00 or so to boot.

Thanks for all of the input.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that info.
75% is still darn good after three years!

Mine are all old school types and most or their charge is gone in a month or three it seems. They will still run say the HP-1 for a normal days worth of monitoring if I just charged them so they are still good cells. Just old technology that was made before they started making the cells that actually hold a charge for a long time.
I even still have some really old ones that still charge to their rated capacity but that is only 1600 mAh I think.
They are good for tower trips when used in a frequency counter as they have plenty of capacity to run the counter for a day or two being as it is switched on/off and is off most of the time.

Sounds like I do need to order some of the original eneloops though as I have had times when I found myself pulling alkaline's out of remote controls when a freak power outage occured on more than one day.
I do refresh my old NiMH cells but bit often enough. I have two Maha C9000 chargers and one LaCrosse BC-700 but I just don't charge often enough. Had I had eneloops, I would have been fine as I will say that I'll refresh all my cells at least every six months at the most.
I usually run them through a low current discharge/recharge cycle which can take over 24 hours per set.
I will use a high current charge when I know I'll need them and I'm in a hurry.
Plus I'm not worried about destroying these old cells anyway as they must be near end of life from age alone. And then you factor in the low current capacity of many of my old cells, I may as well just throw them away when the eneloops get here. Nothing worse then getting out in the field and finding out that one of your freshly charge but old cells has bit the dust and you forgot to bring spares!

jackj

pro92b got it right, kruser. The original Enloop cells were rated by Sanyo to keep 75% of their charge after 1 year. Then about 2 years ago, they improved them somehow and they now will last for 3 years on the shelf. I am in the process of changing over from alkaline to Enloops in my cameras, flash heads remote controls, clocks, etc. We were going through about 24 - 30 AA alkaline cells a year.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The package indicates 85% charge retention after 1 year, 80% after 2 years, and 75% after 3 years. That's for the 2000 mAH cells that can be recharged 1500 times.

I ordered three packs of 8 AA cells each. They are rated at 2000 mAh and 1500 recharge cycles each.

They have a manufacturers part number of HR3U8BPN.

Does that sound correct for the model with 75% retention after three years?

EDIT: I ended up getting them through CDW of all places using a buying club my employer is a part of.
They came out to right at $1.75 per cell or $14 for a pack of 8 cells.
I think that is a good price plus we get free shipping.
Does that sound good?
Looking at the Amazon links, it seems I got a pretty decent deal as long as the part number I posted above is the correct part number for the 3 year retention models.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
pro92b got it right, kruser. The original Enloop cells were rated by Sanyo to keep 75% of their charge after 1 year. Then about 2 years ago, they improved them somehow and they now will last for 3 years on the shelf. I am in the process of changing over from alkaline to Enloops in my cameras, flash heads remote controls, clocks, etc. We were going through about 24 - 30 AA alkaline cells a year.

Yep, I will use these in one of my digital cams as well. I finally broke down and bought a DSLR that accepts standard AA cells instead of those darn proprietary battery packs like my old Canon used. I hated that thing as I was bad about charging that cam also. It was Lithium at least though so it had a decent power retention but it has caused me to miss many shots due to my lack if keeping it charged.
Plus the proprietary packs cannot be cycled in a nice external charger like the Maha MH-C9000. I always miss that as it works so well for visually showing you your cells condition.
The fact that I can use these in my DSLR is the reason I bought 24 of them as I’d never need that many for my scanning needs. As I said before, I don’t go mobile with a portable that often and mainly use the batteries during power failures which used to be very common here at home. The power company finally sent a forestry crew in and removed a ton of large trees that would fall if you breathed on them and knock out your power. That helped a ton and it took a decent storm to bring down any trees.
Then just this year, they started burying major feeders that feed both into and out of the sub-station I can see out my window. That is a major project for them as the power lines feed over a very deep valley with a large creek at the bottom. But they have somehow ran large PVC conduit down the hill, (about 175 foot down to the bottom of the hill) and under the creek. The conduit will contain the 14.4 KV feeders which should stop most of my power failures.
The power sub-station also feeds an old unstaffed AT&T (The real AT&T from before SBC bought them) CO that is part of Civil Defense. So the sub-station itself was already “hardened” against common power failures for the CO building. The overheads that came out and fed my area however, were after the CO so they were not considered hardened power feeds. Now they will be.
AmerenUE has started a project that I forget the name of but the purpose was to underground most sub-station wiring so they are more protected against storm type failures.
I know this project has helped tons in the areas it has already been completed. My area was one on a lower priority but they are working on it now.

nanZor

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I ordered three packs of 8 AA cells each. They are rated at 2000 mAh and 1500 recharge cycles each.

They have a manufacturers part number of HR3U8BPN.

Does that sound correct for the model with 75% retention after three years?

Yes, that is the correct part number. I think anything under $2 per cell is a good price.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the links hertzian!

And thanks for the confirmation on my part number selection pro92b.

I've been messing with 4 Kodak branded 2500 mAh NiMH AA cells that I obtained somewhere or with something that I don't recall.
They may have been included with a Kodak digital cam the more I think about this.
I think they are only about a year old at the most.

I ran them through a refresh/analyze test on both a Maha C9000 and the La Crosse BC-700.

Both chargers said they were fine and rated them about 2100 on all four cells. I even ran them through a break-in charge in the Maha.
I used lower current settings for the charge and discharge settings depending on the charge setting I was using.

Anyway, I had charged them and put them into a Uniden HP-1 the other day.
Within about 20 minutes, the HP1 started beeping at me telling me the battery power was too low for audio recording and something else. I ok'd out of that and let it scan.
It only ran about another 20 minutes before squawking at me again but this time it said it was shutting down as the power was insufficient for anything. Something along those lines anyway.

I figured just one call had failed but when I yanked them out and measured them with no load, they all showed right at 1.00 volts +/- .05.

So I though I had maybe mistaken which set I charged and charged them again. Sure enough, the Maha showed them as having a capacity about 2100 just like before.
I used a little higher charge rate for that charge but nothing excessive.
Stuck them back in the HP1 and same thing, low power for audio recording after just 15 minutes or so.

This time, I opened the hatch before they could not power the HP1 and measured all four under its load. All four cells were quickly dropping towards 1.00 volts again. I barely had time to measure them all before they were too low to operate the HP1.

That is when I ran them through several recycle type charges in both chargers. Each time, the chargers would both show them about 2100 capacity when finished.

They sure as heck will not run the HP1 for more than 30 minutes tops.

It has puzzled me as to why both chargers report them as good. They seem to hold their charge well when the chargers are in the discharge state also. I mean, compare the time it takes for the Maha to discharge them at say a 500 mAh discharge rate to a set of similar capacity cells and the time is about the same. Stick them in the HP-1 though and they die fast.
The set of cells I compared the discharge time with in the Maha have been running the HP-1 for about seven hours now.

It's the weirdest thing I've seen since using these better chargers which I've had for a pretty long time now.

I gave up on the Kodak cells and tossed them as something is obviously wrong with them. Why the Maha and La Crosse chargers both said all four cells were good after several different types of charge cycles is a mystery that I guess I'll never answer. It takes such a long time to run them through a refresh cycle that it was no longer worth messing with them. Especially after they would discharge to around 1 volt in the HP1 within 30 minutes after all the refresh charges, break-in charges etc. that I did.
It was almost like these cells had a 1.00 volt design voltage which I know is not true. They never became warmer than normal during any of my different charge methods either so who knows what was up with them.

I did try them in a PSR500 and they died a fast death in that radio also.

Anyone ever seen a Maha or La Crosse show four good cells like that but the cells deplete super fast?

All my other sets of older NiMH cells charge up and show a capacity between 1800 and 2000 when finished charging and they do run the radios for hours as they should.

The Kodak cells are labeled "Kodak Rechargeable Digital Camera battery"
They show an "Up to 2500 mAh" rating and had a part number of "Ni-MH AA HR6" and are stamped with "1.2 volts".
They do not say who really made them and only say "Made in Japan for Eastman Kodak Company".

Whatever they are, they are junk! I bet I've only used them a dozen or two times in the year I've had them.
I only ever charged them when needed in the Maha charger until the other day when I discovered this odd problem. Since I found the odd problem the other day, I bet I've tried renewing them and normal charging them at least 12 times using both chargers but had the same poor results when put into a radio.
On the Maha charger, I tried every charge method that charger offers but same thing each time.
The last attempt, I cooked them by setting the charge and discharge currents high thinking maybe they really are made for a high current camera. That did not make them last any longer in the HP1 but they sure did kick out some heat during the discharge and charge stages. I think I set them for a 1000 mAh discharge and 1700 mAh charge rate. I was no longer trying to save them at that point and only wanted to see what they would do with the high current settings. It did not make them any worse but it did not help them any either. It sure did make me quit wasting time on them though!

The odd thing was when I did a comparison analyze/refresh charge test with a set of 2500 mAh rated cells (Nuon - cheapo Batteries Plus cells) in the Maha charger. Both the Nuon cells and the Kodak cells took almost exactly the same amount of time to complete the discharge/charge cycles in the Maha charger under identical charge settings and starting from a fully charged cell.
I really expected the Kodak cells to finish the cycle much faster than the Nuon cells being as the Kodak's seem to have no capacity when placed in a radio and a load applied. But nope, the charge cycles both took the same amount of time to complete.

I assume the Maha actually watches the battery voltage and that is how it terminates a cycle when it sees the cells voltage drop low for the discharge part of the test and the same for terminating the charge cycle when the cell voltage reaches its upper limit.
I know this Maha charger does not simply time the charge cycle or does it?
No, I know it does not as sets of older cells will have some cells that finish faster then others when they are getting old and a cell is loosing capacity. Those older cells will finish faster than the cells that are still working like new. So it must measure the cells voltage otherwise all cells would complete a charge at the same time.
When I did the Nuon and Kodak tests, both brands finished showing a cell capacity right near 2100 mAh for all cells.

Oh well, I found it interesting that both chargers reported the Kodak cells as good yet they were not good.
Perhaps there is something in the La Crosse and the Maha that cannot truly test a cell and can cause the false reading I seemed to get each time I tried a charge on the Kodak cells. Like a false positive!

Oh well, it was kinda fun trying even though it took several days to do all the charge or recycle tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.