Pro-651 Rechargeable Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlock

I'm noticing that the radio shack brand 2500 mAh AA rechargeable batteries I got are not pulling in a proper charge from the radio charging system. Anyone else noticing this?? I'm using the yellow rechargeable battery pack, and I have a radio shack power supply (DC 9v 1500 mAh with positive tip).

After leaving the power supply plugged into the radio overnight, so at least 6 hours, I get maybe 1 hour to 1.5 hours of scanning out of the batteries. Is there something wrong with the batteries, the radio, or is this normal for Ni-MH batteries?

My old Pro-29 is running on rechargeable batteries from the 90's, and I get way more than 1 to 1.5 hours out of them after charging them in the radio.

I've ordered an actual battery charger, and will see if that helps these Ni-MH AA's hold a better charge.

R

retiredmich

On your 651 battery settings for time , be SURE you have the correct time selected for keeping the battery's charge up while in the PRO 651 after you charge them up in a external charger. There are 3 different settings for rechargeable battery's in the PRO SETTINGS & what type of battery's being used.
Just F Y I

Harlock

On your 651 battery settings for time , be SURE you have the correct time selected for keeping the battery's charge up while in the PRO 651 after you charge them up in a external charger. There are 3 different settings for rechargeable battery's in the PRO SETTINGS & what type of battery's being used.
Just F Y I

I definitely have the Ni-MH batteries selected. What should the charge time be?? It says default, and when I go to edit that field it says 99. I'm assuming I can change this number, but what should the charge time be?? This is not explained in the manual (that I can see) so I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Blackswan73

There are other threads on this. The radio will not recharge the batteries while being used. It will only maintain them. The maximum charge rate for that radio is 14ma. You can thank California for that. As has been suggested, use an external charger. I would also suggest an extra set of batteries as well. Then you can rotate them. And always have a fresh set ready.

R

retiredmich

This may help you out, Turn scanner on & push PGM then GLOB (F3) use bottom arrow scroll down to battery & use right arrow to choose what type battery you are using, next one down= lo battery alert is 30, next =
Charge Time (HH only) Allows you to set the battery charge time in hours. 0 = off. The battery charger charges at a current rate of 150 mA. The charger is disabled when Battery option is set to Alkaline. The default charge time (99) will charge 9 hours for Ni-Cd batteries and 16 hours for Ni-MH batteries. Warning: The scanner will charge continuously with the scanner turned off and plugged into external power (External smart charger is strongly recommended).
Enter the number of hours, 0 - 16 the charger will charge. Be sure to push SAVE when done.

Harlock

There are other threads on this. The radio will not recharge the batteries while being used. It will only maintain them. The maximum charge rate for that radio is 14ma. You can thank California for that. As has been suggested, use an external charger. I would also suggest an extra set of batteries as well. Then you can rotate them. And always have a fresh set ready.

Yes, I just found a thread on the subject. Sometimes I just can't get the search feature to work on these forums, so I apologize for the duplicate thread if this is considered a duplicate at this point.

Seeing as how the default is 99, and I now assume that this is hours based on the other thread I read, it would take over 4 days to fully charge at 99 - that's crazy. It seems like those who set the time lower just get wimpy charges too. All-in-all, you're right, an external charger seems to be in order. I've ordered one that will hopefully do the trick.

Until the charger arrives, I'm bouncing between alkaline & Ni-MH as needed.

Blackswan73

This may help you out, Turn scanner on & push PGM then GLOB (F3) use bottom arrow scroll down to battery & use right arrow to choose what type battery you are using, next one down= lo battery alert is 30, next =
Charge Time (HH only) Allows you to set the battery charge time in hours. 0 = off. The battery charger charges at a current rate of 150 mA. The charger is disabled when Battery option is set to Alkaline. The default charge time (99) will charge 9 hours for Ni-Cd batteries and 16 hours for Ni-MH batteries. Warning: The scanner will charge continuously with the scanner turned off and plugged into external power (External smart charger is strongly recommended).
Enter the number of hours, 0 - 16 the charger will charge. Be sure to push SAVE when done.

Charge rate on the 651 is 14ma. That has been confirmed. There is no way to increase it beyond 14ma. This was done to meet new California regulations.

Harlock

I'll try the 16 hours, but I feel like I've already been around the 12 hours mark before (on the 99 setting), and only got about an hour scanning time in before the batteries die. Either way, once my external charger comes I should be sorted out, though it would be nice to just plug the scanner in to charge like I can do on my old Pro-29.

Status
Not open for further replies.