BCD436 and 536: New Firmware ... Did I Miss the Announcement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewey

Just updated the programming for the 436 & 536 and found new firmware BCDx36HP_V1_28_14.bin, did I miss the initial announcement?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
ONLY needed IF you have one of the newer ones, or hardware was changed during repairs. All this is is a smoother "OS" for the final hardware version. But it DOES mean there could be possible future FW updates/upgrades for functionality... "Maybe"

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Earlier this year, a permissive change was granted to Uniden by the FCC on the BCD436HP to change a component used in the making of the scanner. These changes are usually because a chip or something is no longer available, but the firmware would flip out/brick the scanner if the firmware wasn't programmed with the change.

Sounds like Uniden made a batch of these newer chipped devices, and in anticipation of those devices hitting the street and needing an update, they published the new version of the firmware for these devices, but it doesn't add any new features.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
1633033102676.png
What's that burning smell??
:unsure:
Apparently some recent purchasers "updated" the firmware (or rather retro-graded) to 1.26.00 or earlier and borked the new hardware that had been updated in manufacturing since 1.26.00

Reading between the lines..

Ubbe

Going from 26 to 28 are the changes needed for the new hardware but the .14 are the small changes to texts and other small bugs that have been corrected.

Upgrading to 1.28.14 would still be worthwhile if you are now running anything lower than 1.26.14

/Ubbe

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Just updated the programming for the 436 & 536 and found new firmware BCDx36HP_V1_28_14.bin, did I miss the initial announcement?

I was going to do that here tonight since it's a hardware update change only.

Why no bug fixes? Because the firmware guys have been busy with hardware changes (and the firmware changes required for those) over the past year and with firmware for a new model for a couple months.

We will get there. It just requires resources that are not yet available. We are in the bug fix stage on the master plan that I posted earlier this year.

And yes, it's the BC125AT issue again from earlier this year that accelerated my intro. I was not aware of the change until it was too late, and I updated the TWIKI as soon as I found out about it.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
I think some floodgates just got opened :)

I wouldn't get too excited - he could just mean "new" as in newer than the 436/536. Like the SDSs or the SR30C 😆

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't get too excited - he could just mean "new" as in newer than the 436/536. Like the SDSs or the SR30C 😆
Re read again, and again.. Then re read a LOT of the posts the new Uniden Rep has posted. You may learn a few things. He has outright stated there IS a new scanner soon, 3 in all in the works. Moving on.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Re read again, and again.. Then re read a LOT of the posts the new Uniden Rep has posted. You may learn a few things. He has outright stated there IS a new scanner soon, 3 in all in the works. Moving on.
I would but I have this thing called a life, therefore I don't have time to read every post and thread... I'll maybe get interested when new scanners materialize, but until then, words posted on the internet have about as much value as litter in the gutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.