6/12/24 Uniden Firmware for 436HP/536HP/325P2/996P2

garys

Premium Subscriber
IIRC, back when the DMR upgrade came up UPMan was offering beta versions (for lack of a better term) of the patches to everyone who was interested. The process was pretty much what you describe.

I can drop an older version of the firmware (.bin file) in the Firmware Folder on the sd card (With an external card reader) and put the card back
in the scanner and it will load it when it's powered on... No USB cable used...

gary123

Ideally it would be nice if the scanner displayed the FW version when it powers on IE in the 'Copyright" screen in the currently empty line at the bottom.

blackbelter

Are there any additional steps to update my 160DN firmware? I have already installed the Setup_BC_VUP and the set up on my window 11, however it does not open up the software firmware installer? For FW updates , do you start with the BCD160DN SS? Unlike other Sentinel versions this does not show software update steps. Any help would be appreciate it.

Last edited:

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Are there any additional steps to update my 160DN firmware? I have already installed the Setup_BC_VUP and the set up on my window 11, however it does not open up the software firmware installer? For FW updates , do you start with the BCD160DN SS? Unlike other Sentinel versions this does not show software update steps. Any help would be appreciate it.
Did you run the setup program after you downloaded it? The download is the installer, not the actual firmware update program.

If you have installed it you will have a "Uniden" folder in your Start menu, and inside that folder you'll see BC_VUP3. Run BC_VUP3 and you will see a pop-up asking you to pick the scanner model and firmware version.

blackbelter

Yes, however the BC_VUP does not open up the pop menu. Upon opening it , keeps telling me that the program is already installed and would I want to repair or remove.
Thanks

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Yes, however the BC_VUP does not open up the pop menu. Upon opening it , keeps telling me that the program is already installed and would I want to repair or remove.
Thanks
You are trying to run the installer again.

Go into the start menu and look for "Uniden" and run BC_VUP3.

blackbelter

Thanks for all the replies. After all the above steps I was not able to update. The VSB driver file does not open up me.Upon opening the program ( Unzipped the files) it keeps telling that the program is installed without opening up a pop up.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
You are still not running the actual BC_VUP3 program.

If you get a message saying that the program is already installed, you are running the installer again.

You need to click on the "Start" (the little square which is probably in the lower left hand corner of your screen) and look for a Uniden folder then select BC_VUP3.

1718656359210.png

blackbelter

Upon that , I see the BC_VUP_V3 03_00 folder which looks to be a zipped file. I have already unzipped without seeing the BC_VUP3 with the Red paw.

Trucker700

Thanks for all the replies. After all the above steps I was not able to update. The VSB driver file does not open up me.Upon opening the program ( Unzipped the files) it keeps telling that the program is installed without opening up a pop up.
The VSP driver file is a zip file. Unzip it to a folder on your pc. Then, start Windows Device Manager. You will have to expand the Device list till you see a yellow icon by one of the devices listed. Right click on the icon and select Update Driver. You should get a pop-up with a list that includes BROWSE click on that and navigate to the folder where you unzipped the VSP zip file.
You can then select the driver and click on install. It may take several minutes. Wait until it completely installs.
Now you can connect the USB cable to your radio. Turn it on. Start the update program. It will find your radio. From there, it will go online and download and install the new firmware.
Once it finishes, close the program. Then in Explorer, find the removable drive ( representing your radio) right click on it and select Eject. Then you can safely disconnect the USB cable.
All of this is detailed on the page I linked to for the driver.
James

blackbelter

Hmmm. Can you please post a screen shot, like I did?
1718680492327.png
Upon extracting from the Uniden site ,It does not extract or show the " Set Up MSI" as it needs to launch the FW updater.
Win 11 has the latest updates.
Thanks

Last edited:

Trucker700

Is the USB driver the same for all uniden radios or do I need a specific one for each of my radios I have to update?
The driver works for a group of radios that need a USB to Serial data connection. Radios like the BCD160DN use serial data to transfer firmware etc even though it uses the same USB cable radios like the SDS100 and SDS200 use. ( which doesn't require a special driver)
James