6/12/24 Uniden Firmware for 436HP/536HP/325P2/996P2

bearcatrp

I put win7 pro on my gaming system I built. Last year tried to use proscan with my SDS200. It was ok but would not update. Tried sentinal and nothing but issues. Bought a HP mini pc with win 10 and has been golden for everything. Logs proscan great and sentinal works great. My updates today went flawless.

Trucker700

I believe the difference might be I manually installed the driver from Device Manager instead of letting Windows find the driver online. ( which 99% of the time, Windows 7 won't)
James

bearcatrp

I tried through device manager. Said it could not find anything. Guess I could have found it myself and installed it but the win10 machine is working fine for this.

Trucker700

I tried through device manager. Said it could not find anything. Guess I could have found it myself and installed it but the win10 machine is working fine for this.
To the right of the pop-up window drop down window, there is a selection for Browse. Clicking on it opens Windows Explorer. Then you navigate to the folder where you unzipped the driver zip file. Once you do that and click on update, Windows will install the new driver. It will take several minutes. But, it does install and works.
James

bearcatrp

I got lazy and just went to the win10 system instead of installing the driver. Knew it would work. Since most of the programs stop updating on my win7 system, will eventually upgrade to win10 but waiting on WoT game to require it. Only thing stopping me for now. Its almost 10 years old and need to get off my butt and build another system.

Ubbe

I can drop an older version of the firmware (.bin file) in the Firmware Folder on the sd card (With an external card reader) and put the card back
in the scanner and it will load it when it's powered on... No USB cable used...
Yes, any file dumped in the firmware folder will be used by the scanner, even to downgrade using an older firmware file. But when I wanted to revert back and update to the latest using Sentinel I didn't manage to do that using only the SD card in a reader. I had to connect the whole scanner to Sentinel to be able to upgrade to the latest version from Unidens server. At least that is how it seemed to be working for me.

That hidden folder doesn't seem to be used for anything else than a place for Sentinel to store the downloaded file. If Sentinel actually could read the filename from that place it would be able to tell us that a new version where available, without having to connect the scanner or SD card in a reader. As I mentioned, changing the file name in the hidden folder to an older version one doesn't make it doing an upgrade, changing the version number inside the scanner.inf file will.

/Ubbe

smcbmt

Premium Subscriber
You will also have to install a Virtual Serial Port driver in Windows for the software to recognize your radio.
James

Here's a link to the VSP driver I use. There are instructions on how to install it from Windows Device Manager.
Thanks James. the link turned the trick for me on the old Win 8.1 Pro 64 laptop I use just for scanners. Both the programming software and firmware updater can access my new 160DN

JDKelley

Just call me "Sparks." Or "Lucky."
Once the driver is installed (as mine seemed to do automatically - ThinkPad L15, Win10Pro64. Bought this machine specifically because it ran Win10...) where in Device Manager is it supposed to manifest? I checked at least some of the most logical places, and trawling through the whole thing takes more time than I'd care to artibtrarilty assign to the task if there'e someone out there that knows offhand (if you all don't know, I'll find out. And no, I bashed this out much more quickly than pollling through Device Manager...)