6/12/24 Uniden Firmware for 436HP/536HP/325P2/996P2

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
Wow... This thread went off topic :)

This new FW fixes OFT in the 436/536 radios as well as the 996P2 and 325P2. The radios can now capture ALL of the transmissions vs a small percentage before. I've only checked P25 so far, but I'll check DMR next...
This definitely added new life to some of the older models!

Thank you Uniden!

Bill

n3617400

Look what an amazing thing, I go to a competitor's site, look for updates and it turns out there is no need to register anywhere.
It's a miracle! :p

Trucker700

Updated my 436, 536 and 160. So far, everything seems to be working fine. I wonder if we will see updates to the SDS radios next?
James

Ubbe

If your using Sentinel your scanner uses a MicroSD card...
Pull the card from the scanner and plug it into a card reader on your computer. External card readers are not expensive. If you don't have one.
Sentinel will see it... Update the Firmware on the card...
Put the card back in the scanner and turn it on. The Firmware will update.
Sentinel needs to check the scanners firmware version. You can't check for updates using only the SD card. You will in some way already have the new firmware file in your possession and then copy it to the SD card, no Sentinel needed in that case.

/Ubbe

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel needs to check the scanners firmware version. You can't check for updates using only the SD card. You will in some way already have the new firmware file in your possession and then copy it to the SD card, no Sentinel needed in that case.

/Ubbe
You are wrong...

What do you think the scanner looks like in Mass Storage Mode to Sentinel...
A very expensive external card reader...
It works fine... I do it all the time...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber

/Ubbe
This is were Sentinel looks on the computer if there is an update... NOT on the scanner...
It's a hidden folder...

PRD.jpg

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if we will see updates to the SDS radios next?
One aspect of this update actually fixes something that was broken in these radios from the beginning (OFT). This was fixed 6 months ago on the SDS series, so these radios have now "caught up". I was patiently waiting for them to port the update to the "older" radios.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
For registered users only. That's dumb.

Why is it dumb?

Because you have to register to see updates.
That's why it's stupid.
Wrong.

Firmware updates and paid features are two different things. If you want a paid feature, like NXDN DMR Provoice or Waterfall, and I believe Extreme for Home Patrol, you need to register to make the purchase.

To see any and all firmware updates available for your scanner, you do not need to register. You can go to any of the the scanner firmware pages (as @cg posted) and see what is available.

Sentinel will check for updates once you have your radio connected and click on check for firmware updates.
That only applies to scanners that use Sentinel. Just saying cause thread title mentions scanners that do not use Sentinel.

Trucker700

Wrong.

Firmware updates and paid features are two different things. If you want a paid feature, like NXDN DMR Provoice or Waterfall, and I believe Extreme for Home Patrol, you need to register to make the purchase.

To see any and all firmware updates available for your scanner, you do not need to register. You can go to any of the the scanner firmware pages (as @cg posted) and see what is available.

That only applies to scanners that use Sentinel. Just saying cause thread title mentions scanners that do not use Sentinel.
There is a separate application to check for updates for the other radios. I used it to update my BCD160DN last night. ( after downloading and installing a virtual serial port driver for Windows)
It has several selections for different radios. And was easy to use.
James

garys

Premium Subscriber
I did the last update exactly that way. Downloaded it onto the Micro SD card that I took out of my SDS200, popped that back into the SDS 200 in my truck and turned on the power. Took no time at all and worked fine .

You are wrong...

What do you think the scanner looks like in Mass Storage Mode to Sentinel...
A very expensive external card reader...
It works fine... I do it all the time...

Ubbe

This is were Sentinel looks on the computer if there is an update... NOT on the scanner...
It's a hidden folder...

View attachment 164102
I checked now, by changing the file name of the firmware file in the updater folder to an older version, and it doesn't react to it and trigger a update. But if I go into the SD cards scanner.inf file and change the firmware file name there to an older name it triggers an update even if the scanner has the latest firmware.

So you are right, it should update using just the SD card but it is checking the inf file on the SD card and not that hidden folder.

In the past when I tried dumping older firmwares into a scanner to see in what version a bug was present, I never managed to update using only the SD card. I had to put it in the scanner and connect the USB cable and then it did the update. I wonder if the firmware version in that inf file only updates when Sentinel write the update to the SD card, and not when the scanner powers down.

/Ubbe

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I can drop an older version of the firmware (.bin file) in the Firmware Folder on the sd card (With an external card reader) and put the card back
in the scanner and it will load it when it's powered on... No USB cable used...

The INF file is were the menu pulls the firmware version number to display it in the scanner menu...
When it loads the new firmware by turning the scanner back on it updates that too...

Last edited: