New Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4WCS

Hey all, just passed my Technicians exam this past Saturday, now just anxiously waiting for my call sign to show up.
Being a storm chaser and Skywarn spotter, I've set up a mobile rig (2M) and picked up an HT (also 2M), and can't wait to fire them up. :)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.
Also, is there a way to change my username to my call sign once it's issued?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
You will have to contact the site owner to get your user name changed. See this article in the RadioReference Wiki:

Account Help - The RadioReference Wiki

You can link your RadioReference site account (which is a slightly different database from your forum account) to your amateur radio callsign by viewing your site profile at:

Your Account

WX4WCS

WB4CS

I would like to also pass along my congrats and welcome to the hobby! As long as your VE team is quick to file the paperwork, it should only take a few days for your callsign to show up in the FCC ULS database, once it's listed you're good-to-go to get on the air!

WX4WCS

Talked with someone from the VE team, and he said it will probably be issued Friday or next Monday. So hopefully I'll be on the air this weekend, or sometime next week.

CommJunkie

I did my upgrade on Saturday 3/1, and it was on the database on Friday 3/7. Just to give you an idea of the time frame.

Of course, it also matters how far the stuff has to be mailed, too. I only live about 3 hours from Gettysburg, PA, so it got there quick.

KK6KLU

I took my test on 1MAR14 and have yet to see anything on the FCC database and I only live about an hour from LA. It totally depends on the VE's

WB4CS

I always take the opportunity to smile when newer hams have to wait a few days/weeks to get their call. Back in the "good ole days" before the internet, we had to wait for the paper license to come in the mail before we could get on the air.

I passed my Tech+ in October 1994, and had to wait until January 1995 before I received my license in the mail and could get on the air. Talk about a very long 3 months! :)

Again, congrats on passing!

KK6KLU

W4BCS, yes we are an impatient lot aren't we! My VE's stated that it was recently averaging 9-10 days, so at least I was aware that it would be a bit.
I was adding my experience to add some data to the current thread is all.

I do recall all of the Navy advancement exams I took (USN '84-'04) and we didn't find out the results for three months THEN we had to wait an additional few months, as I remember, to be able to wear our new rank, then it was a few more months before we got paid for it!

milkman21218

Our VE team sends the paper work in electronically and the calls are issued within the hour. Me I had to wait 6 weeks when I passed Technician. 1 day for upgrades to General and Extra to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.