Kenwood: New Kenwood TH-D75

Kenwood TH-D75

• I'm really looking forward to buying this radio.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • May consider buying this radio and some point.

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Not interested in this radio.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • D-Star is dead, Jim.

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wd9ewk

Has anyone purchased one and can give a 30 second review of it?

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Great radio! Like with the TH-D74, there's a lot of stuff in the TH-D75.

I like the additional functionality (APRS digipeater, DV gateway, two D-Star vocoders so D-Star can be used from both VFOs), and how similar it is to the TH-D74. Wish it could be capable of full-duplex operation for satellite work, but it can be used to work satellites in FM and D-Star (TEVEL satellites, UVSQ-SAT, and a couple of others support both FM and D-Star). I used my D75 last weekend through the TEVEL-6 satellite to make a few FM QSOs, and a D-Star QSO. I wrote about that in a thread at:

D-Star RX audio sounds better (IMO) on the TH-D75 (and the TH-D74, for that matter) compared with almost all Icom D-Star radios, and I get good reports on my transmitted D-Star audio from the D75. Will try it as a downlink receiver, paired with an FT-817 as the uplink transmitter, for SSB/CW satellites this weekend (the D74's all-mode receiver does a decent job in this role, and I expect no less from the D75).

It works well with D-Star repeaters, and my openSPOT 3 - a reason I don't miss other digital voice modes in this radio, like DMR or C4FM. Battery life could be better, but that's something I can deal with.

Is there something in particular about the D75 you want to know about?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
(APRS digipeater, DV gateway, two D-Star vocoders so D-Star can be used from both VFOs)

@wd9ewk - It is these additional features that I may use from time to time that have me thinking about picking one up, but not anytime soon. I doubt there are any problems with it, but I'm happy to wait in case there are any issues. P.S. I did not know there were D-Star satellites. Thanks for that. We have had several QSO's previously via satellite, so I expect we will again and perhaps via D-Star this time...on my junky old D74 ;)

wd9ewk

(APRS digipeater, DV gateway, two D-Star vocoders so D-Star can be used from both VFOs)

@wd9ewk - It is these additional features that I may use from time to time that have me thinking about picking one up, but not anytime soon. I doubt there are any problems with it, but I'm happy to wait in case there are any issues. P.S. I did not know there were D-Star satellites. Thanks for that. We have had several QSO's previously via satellite, so I expect we will again and perhaps via D-Star this time...on my junky old D74 ;)

The price may be $100 higher than the D74 when it hit the market in 2016, but it is fun to have so much to play with.

The D74 has just 1 D-Star vocoder. Working a satellite in that mode is possible with a D74, but would be done different than I did with the D75. A couple of memory channels for the uplink (same uplink frequency in both: one channel in FM, the other in DV), VFO with downlink in DV and enabling FM auto detect in DV, then switching between memories and VFO in one VFO when going from RX to TX and back. Or use two D-Star radios for full-duplex operating.

And the D74 isn't a junky radio... :)

I have links to two articles I wrote about D-Star via satellite on my QRZ page. One article featured the AO-27 satellite, and the other featured the current TEVEL satellites. And videos on my YouTube channel where I worked satellites using D-Star.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I watched the AO-27 vid and it is interesting to hear digital vs the typical analog via satellite and all that goes with it. Additionally, I have an ID-31 I could use with the D74 along with a diplexer and Elk log periodic. I'll need to pay attention to the passes and see what's what.

What I would purchase immediately would be a mobile version of the D75. Give it a 12 cm remote touchscreen head and I would be in heaven, especially with a pop-up keyboard. Using something like that with the phone app would be fun.

wd9ewk

I watched the AO-27 vid and it is interesting to hear digital vs the typical analog via satellite and all that goes with it. Additionally, I have an ID-31 I could use with the D74 along with a diplexer and Elk log periodic. I'll need to pay attention to the passes and see what's what.

What I would purchase immediately would be a mobile version of the D75. Give it a 12 cm remote touchscreen head and I would be in heaven, especially with a pop-up keyboard. Using something like that with the phone app would be fun.

There was a call at Dayton a few years ago during a presentation, asking hams to let Kenwood USA know there was an interest in a mobile version of a D74. I would be interested in that, especially if the packet and cross-band full-duplex functionality is like what is in the TM-D710G, adding in what comes in a D74 or D75 (D-Star, maybe an all-mode RX, and 222 MHz for the Americas). I sent an e-mail during that presentation to the address that was given out.

Your two radios could work the TEVEL satellites full-duplex, in both FM and D-Star. Be ready for a slight delay when working D-Star that way, a delay in the receive radio (for the satellites supporting D-Star, that would be your ID-31) decoding the D-Star signals. Even the IC-9700 experiences a slight delay when decoding a D-Star signal via satellite.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yeah! Crushing that VX6R with an extra 5 dBm! ;) Even my old Kenwood TH-315A circa 1980’s can blast 5W. Well, the specs at least note 5W. I haven’t checked.

Additionally, Amateur operators don’t need encryption. We can just use 1.25 meters for privacy. :p

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Thanks for the great relevant review @wd9ewk. Will for sure pick one up. I am glad to see JVC Kenwood putting out QUALITY amateur subscriber radios. Not for everyone, especially the Bowelturd crowd that expects stake and ale for old pizza and stale beer prices, but for those who care about signal quality (good CLEAN transmit audio and no excessive spurious emissions), advanced capabilities like DV and APRS, and superb performance in a modern radio with things like USB-C and Bluetooth, this is the ticket.

wd9ewk

Thanks for the great relevant review @wd9ewk. Will for sure pick one up. I am glad to see JVC Kenwood putting out QUALITY amateur subscriber radios. Not for everyone, especially the Bowelturd crowd that expects stake and ale for old pizza and stale beer prices, but for those who care about signal quality (good CLEAN transmit audio and no excessive spurious emissions), advanced capabilities like DV and APRS, and superb performance in a modern radio with things like USB-C and Bluetooth, this is the ticket.
It seems to me that Icom and Kenwood are letting the low end of the market for amateur handhelds, and probably VHF/UHF mobiles, go to other manufacturers. Yaesu appears to be trying to stay in the low end of those markets, as well as offering more sophisticated radios with the higher price tags.

I have heard the periodic rumors of Kenwood's impending exit from the amateur market since the late 1990s. I am glad they have stuck around, and are continuing to offer radios with lots of features.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I wonder what Icom will do when Mr. Inoue passes on, while he stepped down as CEO a few years ago, his influence is heavily felt in the development and marketing of amateur products. No doubt the availability of low rent subscribers is forcing the Japanese companies to focus on innovative mid and upmarket radios. I am good with that. I'd much rather see QUALITY and INNOVATION than a sea of one-chip wonder trash can radios.

The IC-705/905/9700/7300 push the envelop, and Yaesu is right there with them with rigs like the FT-DX10, FTM-500, and FT-5DR. None of these will attract the same high volume of low quality subscriber sales, but they aren't intended to. Those that know and demand quality, performance and a vendor that will support their purchase know that it doesn't come from Chinazon or sell for fast food prices.

wd9ewk

Yeah! Crushing that VX6R with an extra 5 dBm! ;) Even my old Kenwood TH-315A circa 1980’s can blast 5W. Well, the specs at least note 5W. I haven’t checked.

Additionally, Amateur operators don’t need encryption. We can just use 1.25 meters for privacy. :p

The TH-315, like the TH-215 I bought in 1989 and still have (it still works!), can transmit at 5W with either a 12V battery pack or 13.8V external power. That's a nice thing with the newer radios... lower voltages from the battery packs (usually around 7.2V to 7.4V), along with better finals in the radios compared to many years ago, will make 5W output.

As for privacy and the 1.25m band, users of the TH-D74 and TH-D75 can always switch to D-Star for even more privacy. I have the DV Access Point dongle for that band, which was on the market for a couple of years after the TH-D74 came on the market, but usually stick with my openSPOT 3 on 70cm when I want to access D-Star repeaters/reflectors, or go cross-mode to other systems.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Kenwood quality is long proven. Like your TH-215/315, my TM-731A was made in 1990, still transmits and receives on both 2m and 440 better than specifications, never been serviced, and have seen three decades in service in both mobile, base and even portable (field day) use. You will be hard pressed to find a better performing radio. Clean, clear transmit audio (complete opposite of CCRs muffled low miserable audio), excellent memory and band scan, and an outstanding receiver that doesn't get overloaded by anything and can hear a gnat fart a mile away.
An easy to operate rig that even in 2024 is more than adequate for FM repeater and simplex use. Was $599.99 in 1990 at HRO. Around $1418 in today's money. Most cheap crybaby CCR clutching hams balk at spending that kind of cash- but how many of the low rent turds will be here in 30 years and still work as good as they did when shipped out of the factory? These radios are heirloom quality. The kind of radio one passes down to children, relatives and live on when the original operator passes away.

So in comparison, a D-75 at $750 is a bargain. Digital voice, APRS, tri-band full power operation, and superior (to low rent radio) performance, backed by a real radio manufacturer with US service and support. No brainer for me.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
As for privacy and the 1.25m band, users of the TH-D74 and TH-D75 can always switch to D-Star for even more privacy.
Possibly implied in this statement is ability to use the D-STAR DV mode on the 222 MHz band. I know that my TH-D74 will do it. I assume that the TH-D75 can, too. Simplex only, of course. ;)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
An MSRP comparison of Kenwood top-of-the-line APRS handhelds through the years:

TH-D7A $520 (1999) $962.65 (2024)
TH-D7AG $350 (2008) $501.37 (2024)
TH-D72A $500 (2011) $685.56 (2024)
TH-D74A $620 (2017) $780.10 (2024)
TH-D75A $750 (2024) $750.00

Last edited:

wd9ewk

Possibly implied in this statement is ability to use the D-STAR DV mode on the 222 MHz band. I know that my TH-D74 will do it. I assume that the TH-D75 can, too. Simplex only, of course. ;)
The D74 and D75 can use D-Star repeaters on that band, if there are repeaters available on that band. The radios are not limited to simplex for 1.25m D-Star. Icom doesn't have anything D-Star on that band, so it seems like any 1.25m D-Star repeaters would be homebrew creations.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Not hard to roll one's own D-Star repeater in the 220 band. A BridgeCom box and MMDVM would be one way of accomplishing this. Talk about "security through obscurity", only those with D74/D75s could access it. If one wanted to create a closed repeater without DTMF, MDC1200 or call sign whitelisting in digital, this would be the way to do it. Combined with the low noise floor in the 220 band, it would probably perform very well. The 220 repeaters around here are all analog, but most of them are high sites and can be hit with a quality HT and mag mount from 50 miles away with a good SNR.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
In my obscure corner of AZ, there is a 1.25 meter repeater that is in use by a few hams. I can barely hit it with a VX-6R and its' puny output if I stand at the edge of my property. I may get a D75 just to reliably chat with them, but Kenwood seems to be in no hurry to flood the market with them.