New releases at Hamvention

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Having watched a few videos from Hamvention last night, here's my take-away about new products:

Elecraft -- nothing new.

Flex -- new 8000 series that will eventually replace the 6000 series. My gut feeling is that this redesign was triggered by parts availability issues with the 6000 series.

Icom -- Icom is celebrating their 60th anniversary by teasing a new radio. At Hamvention, they are showing circuit boards for what they said will be a new radio. Based on what I saw, it will be an HF radio with dual receivers. Possibly an SDR-based replacement for the IC-7851. I suspect that we'll hear more of the story at Ham Radio Friedrichshafen in June with the big reveal at Tokyo Ham Fair in August.

Kenwood -- nothing new, but reps at the booth said that a tri-band mobile is coming.

Yaesu -- nothing new.

Also shown was the ComJot CJ-1 which claims to be an open source Android radio. The device looks like a thick smart phone with a VHF/UHF rubber duck. Supposedly can operate on VHF or UHF using DMR T1 or T2. The selling point is that it's not just a radio stuck onto a phone. Supposedly, the phone and the radio can actually talk to each other so the phone can do phone stuff, like APRS, with audio from the radio.

I'm sure there's other interesting new stuff. That's just what I picked up on from the videos.

kg4ehv

Thank you for the update. Looks a little slow on new releases this year. The Icom pieces in the box look like maybe something good.

KF5LJW

Banned
Banned
Sounds like the beginning of the end. No new products = no market, demand, or profit.

N4KVE

Also shown was the ComJot CJ-1 which claims to be an open source Android radio. The device looks like a thick smart phone with a VHF/UHF rubber duck. Supposedly can operate on VHF or UHF using DMR T1 or T2. The selling point is that it's not just a radio stuck onto a phone. Supposedly, the phone and the radio can actually talk to each other so the phone can do phone stuff, like APRS, with audio from the radio.

I'm sure there's other interesting new stuff. That's just what I picked up on from the videos.
One of the locals has been doing the ham fest circuit helping Bob peddle the RF Finder. Last week Bob called him to say “we’re not going to Dayton”. A last minute cancellation. Seems there’s too many people looking for refunds, & he doesn’t have the $ to refund them. It turns out the guy who was writing the software for the RF Finder will now be writing the software for this ComJot radio. Hopefully this will be a superior product. I know the RF Finder did not like to work on ATT.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Kenwood -- nothing new, but reps at the booth said that a tri-band mobile is coming.
Fan-F'n-Tastic! - I am figuring this is the mobile version of the TH-D75A. If it is I expect will purchase one, perhaps two.

When the TH-D74A was released, an effort was started to get operators to email Kenwood and ask for a mobile version of it. If Kenwood keeps the features and just increase the watts typical for a mobile, I and others will be pleased.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Ten-Tec -- Apparently, Ten-Tec is still alive. Engineering and manufacturing has been relocated to the Dayton area (Oh-Tec?). Same company is building Alpha amplifiers. They say have an Omni VIII coming out this fall, but no details other than 7" display.

IK2GNP

Regarding Icom, such HF transceiver only?
What about possible top wideband receivers? Are they stuck with the IC-R8600?

AK9R

Super Moderator
One of the locals has been doing the ham fest circuit helping Bob peddle the RF Finder. Last week Bob called him to say “we’re not going to Dayton”. A last minute cancellation. Seems there’s too many people looking for refunds, & he doesn’t have the $ to refund them.
I've had some dealings with Bob, but I won't air that laundry in the forum. The broadcast email he sent says "I wish I was there but my son's wedding (W2EEO) is in a couple weeks."

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Sounds like the beginning of the end. No new products = no market, demand, or profit.
CCR market probably disagrees. How much of it is no longer towards the major brands and towards CCRs. Its always joked of hams being cheap...

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Ten-Tec -- Apparently, Ten-Tec is still alive. Engineering and manufacturing has been relocated to the Dayton area (Oh-Tec?). Same company is building Alpha amplifiers. They say have an Omni VIII coming out this fall, but no details other than 7" display.
I also asked at TenTec ang got the sales pitch about the Omni VIII. When I asked what it will compete with they said there will be no competition. Pretty bold statements. Then one of their guys gave me a rundown of all the changes and improvements they are making and their engineering capability, so who knows.

radiotweester

I haven't been to a HamFest in a couple decades (SeaPac). I see the kind of blah from what I knew as the big 3 in Ham, but anything unique from Alinco or the companies MFJ now owns?

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
When or IF the Comjot (REV2?) will have 5G Capability... it might be worth it. I had the RFINDER and wasn't impressed at all.

JASII

Memory Capacity
...Also shown was the ComJot CJ-1 which claims to be an open source Android radio. The device looks like a thick smart phone with a VHF/UHF rubber duck. Supposedly can operate on VHF or UHF using DMR T1 or T2. The selling point is that it's not just a radio stuck onto a phone. Supposedly, the phone and the radio can actually talk to each other so the phone can do phone stuff, like APRS, with audio from the radio...

I thought that this would also have DMRoIP, like the Rfinder, but I see no mention of that.

Falcon9h

Premium Subscriber
Comjot-vaporware? Website link is dead.

Last edited: