New releases at Hamvention

K6GBW

The big three haven't really been making anything new for a long time. Last year at Pacificon I talked to both Icom and Yaesu reps about creating a real manpack radio. Both basically told me there's no market for it. Seriously? Then I asked about making a dual band mobile radio with a hand held control head, so the main body could go under a seat. I explained that modern cars just can't fit the old rectangular brick radios anymore. Again, they both told me that there was no interest in doing that. The big three keep coming up with stupid "features" that no one really wants or needs and yet they ignore the big issues. It's no wonder the Chinese manufacturers are eating their lunch!

IK2GNP

This is the reason for which many hams are looking more and more in the used market and prefere older radios than new!

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
When a manufacturer looks at what will sell, they consider their current sales patterns. A 'manpack' radio sounds like a great radio for SOTA, POTA, or other '[insert interest] On The Air' activities, but how many 60 to 70 year old males are going to climb to mountain tops in order for a certificate or a traumatic CVA? The median amateur in N.A. is retirement age, yet the League constantly shows elementary school children chatting with the ISS or young people climbing to summits to work HF as the false norm. Older hams have cash and some have enough cash to buy Flex based stations and premium gear, but that's a niche market.

Sure, there are special interests hams, but any manufacturer relying on EME gear, hams with enough cash/real estate for a good LF transceiver and antennas, or a triple band mobile radio mimicking public safety radio capabilities will not likely turn enough of a profit margin to stay viable. Kenwood sells amateur gear, but a majority of their R&D goes to public safety, utilities, industrials, etc. ICOM is pretty much in a similar way. Yaesu has mainstream HF and popular bands covered. When ICOM introduced the UHF/SHF transceiver, plenty of users said 'why?' or 'too expensive', 'no point since there's no action there'.

Capital is in short supply and increasingly expensive. I am surprised that the TH-D75 was released when it was and the same with the ICOM SHF transceiver, perhaps that band is more of an interest in Japanese markets.

Used radios? Not for me. Having to have them re-capped or re-built is a huge pain. Like a used car, they are nice to look at, but I don't want a garage full of Sun Diagnostic gear to keep a set of points on a DeSoto Firedome properly timed every few thousand miles .

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Last year at Pacificon I talked to both Icom and Yaesu reps about creating a real manpack radio. Both basically told me there's no market for it. Seriously?
Which is odd considering that Icom sells the IC-705 and Yaesu sells the FT-891. Both radios would seem suitable for man-pack configuration with the addition of the appropriate mounts. Given the popularity of POTA and SOTA, it seems like the market is there.

This guy gets it. He enjoys amateur radio by building and using man-pack style radios:

radiotweester

The big three haven't really been making anything new for a long time. Last year at Pacificon I talked to both Icom and Yaesu reps about creating a real manpack radio. Both basically told me there's no market for it. Seriously? Then I asked about making a dual band mobile radio with a hand held control head, so the main body could go under a seat. I explained that modern cars just can't fit the old rectangular brick radios anymore. Again, they both told me that there was no interest in doing that. The big three keep coming up with stupid "features" that no one really wants or needs and yet they ignore the big issues. It's no wonder the Chinese manufacturers are eating their lunch!
Yes - I remember Standard (pre Yaesu merge) had a couple HHCH/remote brick models (C5718). One would think Yaesu would be open to a revival. They also had the FT-#90MKII all-mode packs. I guess 30ish years gimmicks are better sellers. :(

N4KVE

I had that Standard many years ago. Made for them by Marantz. It was the only ham radio I ever owned that got zero intermod in downtown Miami. I remember the PTT was on the wrong side of the mike.

K6GBW

All these "builds" are just trying to achieve something like what I had in the Army. They generally don't come close. I have met so many that want a single unit with battery built in, much like a Codan or a Barrett. Sure, you won't get the same quality for $1,200.00 that you get in a Codan, but believe me there IS a market for it. Oh, and I'm a 60 year old that just backpacked through Grand Canyon and across Catalina. So don't discriminate against us seasoned guys. As for the mobile radios, there can be no dispute that current brick designs are not well suited for modern cars. Sure, I could fit one into my old 1972 Ford LTD, but they're just not suited for my 2021 Subaru Crosstrek. The manufacturers need to get some strong coffee and get to work.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have done a fair share of testing using phone and FT8 over the years using different antennas at different locations with varying watts.
5W = It definitely works but...some fish aren't biting even though I can see them in the water
10W = Make a few more QSO's and efficient antennas obviously help
20W = Success increased to "fun" level
40W = Well, not much of a challenge at this point

A buddy has a Codan 2110M and it is fun to use when set to high which is like 20 or 25W. Even with the short vertical antenna and clip on counterpoise.

I am hoping that the Kenwood will be a mobile version of the D75 with a remote head. I'm fine with or without a touchscreen. If it is able to TX/RX on HF/VHF/UHF +1.25m, I would need a minute after passing out before throwing money at it.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I am hoping that the Kenwood will be a mobile version of the D75 with a remote head. I'm fine with or without a touchscreen. If it is able to TX/RX on HF/VHF/UHF +1.25m, I would need a minute after passing out before throwing money at it.
It needs to have the mic connector and speaker jack in the head, not the radio body.

I'd probably have the same reaction as you if Kenwood did that. My reaction would be similar if Icom replaced the IC-7100 with a radio that had a color touchscreen and spectrum scope ala IC-705.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber

Lol, it’s a tri-band vhf/uhf mobile. I hope it’s a color screen and has D-Star. The price will be o_O

AK9R

Super Moderator
The price will be o_O
People scoff at the Kenwood TH-D75 selling for $700-750. Yet, people are paying it. Online groups focused on the radio get new members just about every day. Kenwood could charge $950 for a mobile radio with the features that the D75 has and a remotable head. People would still scoff. I think the sales would still be good.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
People scoff at the Kenwood TH-D75 selling for $700-750. Yet, people are paying it. Online groups focused on the radio get new members just about every day. Kenwood could charge $950 for a mobile radio with the features that the D75 has and a remotable head. People would still scoff. I think the sales would still be good.

I would not hesitate at $1K.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I spent $3200 on a VP8000. Quality costs money. It does P25 trunking/TDMA, all encryption, DMR conventional, and soon enough- NXDN including type C trunking. Full spectrum VHF, UHF, and 700/800. Built to survive harsh service life. Clean RF on all commercial digital modes and analog. Does ham and LMR like a champ (and true part 90 certification).

The D75 is the amateur answer to quality. Crybaby hams who expect stake and ale for pizza and beer prices need to grow up. I can remember when a 2 meter mobile rig was $400 in 1985 prices, which, with inflation, is $1165 in today's money. That radio usually had 10-20 memory channels if that, CTCSS was usually optional, and you bought once and cried once.

There are those who care about quality, putting out a quality signal that isn't full of hash and trash spurs, and solid audio not muffled and muddy, than there are the bottom feeders from the 22 channel GMRS army with their Bandoleros of Baoturds who wonder why their kerchunks and attempted calls are IGNORED on local repeaters.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It needs to have the mic connector and speaker jack in the head, not the radio body.

I'd probably have the same reaction as you if Kenwood did that. My reaction would be similar if Icom replaced the IC-7100 with a radio that had a color touchscreen and spectrum scope ala IC-705.
Kenwood will probably not add HF :( so I might end up with just the mobile version of the D75. Yes, I do want the mic and speaker connections on the head as well, or at least the mic at a minimum.

I'm figuring Icom will have an upgraded 7100, but that may be years away. Just give us the 705 as the head and a wire that leads to the brick. Plus give us a 3:1 tuner.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood will probably not add HF :( so I might end up with just the mobile version of the D75. Yes, I do want the mic and speaker connections on the head as well, or at least the mic at a minimum.

I'm figuring Icom will have an upgraded 7100, but that may be years away. Just give us the 705 as the head and a wire that leads to the brick. Plus give us a 3:1 tuner.
10:1 tuner please.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I don't think you'll see a built-in 10:1 tuner in many radios going forward. They can do 3:1 with relay-switched capacitors and coils. I think that the older radios that had wider-range tuners had servo driven components. That's extra money and complexity. That said, LDG, and others, can do wide-range switched cap/coil tuners in small packages so it's do-able.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you'll see a built-in 10:1 tuner in many radios going forward. They can do 3:1 with relay-switched capacitors and coils. I think that the older radios that had wider-range tuners had servo driven components. That's extra money and complexity. That said, LDG, and others, can do wide-range switched cap/coil tuners in small packages so it's do-able.
My Elecraft K3, KX3, KX2 and a couple of TenTecs had 10:1 tuners stock and they were relay switched parts. There is no excuse for anything less these days.

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
I think the Icom R8600 is it! been out since 2017 (I think ?) long time
is there a market for a new Wideband receiver ?? I would hope so!
A new wideband receiver larger display, video output , external tuner
option etc. ...but not holding my breath or purse...just my two cents!
73,s Marcy