• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Releases of Commercial and Professional CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
They have only been up on MOL for a day or two:

Commercial Series CPS_NA_R05.17

Professional Series_CPS_R06.12.08

Be aware! These releases specifically address 12.5 Khz. spacing. If I understand the release notes correctly, these versions will not allow 20.0 or 25.0 KHz spacing. Once you have programmed a radio using these latest versions, there's no going back.

I am discovering that it might be advantageous to have a receive only channel at 25 KHz in our radios on at least one of the primary EMS frequencies in our area. We're not sure that the county had the EMS base radios properly narrowbanded because they sound like crap now. The fire channels which are the same model base radios sound just fine on the same mobiles, portables, and pagers. (EMS is a bit of an orphan child up here, it seems.)

If I were to install these latest versions, I don't think I would be able to retain a 25 Khz receive only channel in the radios. Right now that might not be a wise move. Others may want to consider this before upgrading.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Using these CPS releases WILL lock your radios codeplug into 12.5 kHz. mode on all channels... It is suggested that, if required to retain 25.0 kHz. wide FM channels, that you NOT use these releases or any firmware released after 06/2012...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Is there some sort of entitlement key you can get to unlock wideband, like you can with the MotoTRBO CPS?

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Is there some sort of entitlement key you can get to unlock wideband, like you can with the MotoTRBO CPS?

Yes, I have one I had to go through Motorola Solutions support to receive one.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber

They say this in the release notes:

Support 12.5 kHz only. 20/25 kHz Channel Bandwidth capability is available via application features. Please contact Motorola customer service for details.

SCPD

QRT
As others have said already, before you upgrade, stop and ask yourself if you really need to?
Why upgrade, and disable the ability to maintain 25 Khz, just to have the latest and greatest?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Does this affect the whole frequency range, or are certain ranges/services carved out? E.g. Will the ham bands, marine, etc still work as wide band?
I think the APX CPS had carved out ranges...?

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Does this affect the whole frequency range, or are certain ranges/services carved out? E.g. Will the ham bands, marine, etc still work as wide band?
I think the APX CPS had carved out ranges...?

If you upgraded to the newest firmware for the XPR radios then you'll need to contact Motorola Solutions support for a entitlement key so you can get back the 25kz option. Once you upgraded the firmware to your radio it'll only have the 12kz option only.

mancow

Database Admin
What about the wideband weather channels?

These people are morons. Apparently they believe they ARE the FCC.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Keep this in mind if you plan on sending any radio into the depot for flat rate or warranty repair after the first of the year. It WILL get the new firmware and you will have to go through the red tape of getting an entitlement ID. Really sucks for all those people without valid subscriptions for their respective CPS. They'll be SOL.

JRayfield

If a person has a copy of the new 8.5 CPS, and they don't have a valid subscription, then it's highly likely that they have a an illegal copy of the CPS. If they obtained the new CPS immediately after release (which was very recent), with a valid subscription, and then their subscription expired between then and now, I suspect that Motorola Solutions will still allow them to get the entitlement ID for the 25 khz option.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Keep this in mind if you plan on sending any radio into the depot for flat rate or warranty repair after the first of the year. It WILL get the new firmware and you will have to go through the red tape of getting an entitlement ID. Really sucks for all those people without valid subscriptions for their respective CPS. They'll be SOL.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Does the new CPS allow drag and drops?

Imagine that. Drag and drop on pro series CPS.

This narrowbanding mandate and locking these commercial rigs to it is just another way the manfactorers are discourging using these rigs for amateur use. I'll be not using this new CPS for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Short update:

Unrequested, a Motorola disk with the new revision Pro Series CPS showed up in today's mail. Part number is HVN9025AB.

I suspect a new disk for the Comm Series will appear shortly, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.