New scanners coming in December?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
My point was that it only works if I'm at one of the tower sites, not that it doesn't work there.

The problem is that I have strong signal from multiple towers both from the fire hall and my house (where the two 536s are).
Have you tried the new firmware with the Threshold Mode set to Manual and level 8. This greatly improved simulcast reception on my 436.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there will be any new flag ship scanners out for a couple years or so. The current scanners still have the capability for improvements and upgrades. My x36's pick up P25 from up to 75 miles away via a discone antenna 30' high. I would go ahead and buy a current flag ship Uniden scanner and you will be good to go for many years.

rustynswrail

... And another thread goes completely off the rails!

Hear, Hear!

Uniden scanners in Europe, like Australia to an extent are different to those sold in North America. If there are plans to release new models in Europe then asking here is like rattling the cages of the wishful thinkers and malcontents. You probably won't get a straight answer.

Speaking of straight answers, you have two choices as I see it, buy existing or wait until there is more tangible evidence of a new model arriving. Simplistic I know, but realistic.

R

N0BDW

Have you tried the new firmware with the Threshold Mode set to Manual and level 8. This greatly improved simulcast reception on my 436.

Have tried the new firmware, but will give the threshold mode on manual and level 8 a shot. Thanks. Don't want to derail this thread further. I have another thread going on this issue here.

jb_tas

You will have to just hope that Uniden don't knobble the crap out of it like they have the Australian UBCD5/436PT,

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I think we are at that weird (sad) point in scanning where the desire for scanner manufacturers to address LSM reception, will be negated by loss of sales do to increasing deployment of full time encryption on systems.

Paul

WeBeCinYa

I think we are at that weird (sad) point in scanning where the desire for scanner manufacturers to address LSM reception, will be negated by loss of sales do to increasing deployment of full time encryption on systems.

Paul

Hopefully its years until my small county in NC finds the money to upgrade radio systems, or decide to encrypt. I've enjoyed listening to scanners since I was a kid growing up and my Dad had to buy crystals for his scanner. I've always had a scanner and moved around a lot so its been nice to me for years. I get the encryption argument, but would have to also argue that the average criminal isn't spending $$$ and educating themselves to keep up with the police.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The problem is, if an agency can spend over 100 MILLION dollars on a Phase I or Phase II system that utilizes simulcasting, then they have the cash to add encryption. Scanners will continue to be cranked out, but making more expensive scanners to receive a system type that is majority encryption based, would not be too likely...unless the circuits and such drop dramatically in price.

Paul

SCPD

QRT
Securing a system varies across the country. While some have a full hit of it, others have limited use or none at all. It really depends on who is running the show, your atmosphere is around that region meaning the current and recent if any turmoil, incidents etc and if any agencies have agreed to clear communications such as oem, sheriffs, chiefs etc. While some do use the features fully others choose to limited or not at all. It truly depends on many factors but scanning will always be here and new models as time moves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.