New Scanners Someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swwesq

What is the deal with Uniden, no new scanners in over 2 years. I have had a couple of bct15 and 996's and I love them but isn't it time for some new features? Is the scanner world dying or is Uniden just not care?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Did you want them to release new scanners every year?
more then likely what will happen is they will add features via firmware upgrade, (some paid). Maybe in a couple years we will see an upgrade

jon_k

Uniden is focusing more on the consumer market right now. Such as ship-based GPS and telephones / VoIP phones.

BC246T is one of their latest scanners I believe and that was released in 2004!

Michael-SATX

OK, a few more come to mind as Radio Shack OEM's like the new RS/Uniden models
Pro-130(low-end $99 ) ,Pro-137 ( Alpha-Tagging Racing Scanner $179 ),and the just added to the RS website Saturday, the Pro-162 ( Tripple Trunking, Alpha Tagging, finally down to 25Mhz model that lQQks just like the Pro-528 but better weighing in at $199 ...)
I would have said both the Pro-528 and the now deep clearanced Pro-433 tripple NON alpha tag trunker that is deep clearenced way down to $119.97 ... but these last 2 are roughly 2 years old :)) I would RS get some OEM versions of the PSR-500 & 600 models!

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
330T? Let's make this a game name all the Uniden scanners since 2004

I still say we won't see a new model for a while only upgrades (some paid) via firmware
to the 396 and 996 will retain the flagship digital scanners.

Airdorn

They just need to stop being tards and release some support for LTR Passport already. SOme amateurs have decoded LTR Passport so I don't see why Uniden can't.

NESN

[/QUOTE]I still say we won't see a new model for a while only upgrades (some paid) via firmware
to the 396 and 996 will retain the flagship digital scanners.[/QUOTE]

I agree in the current economy, most businesses are just concerned about staying solvent, not pushing any new envelopes till this storm passes

citylink_uk

Database Admin
MPT1327 trunking would be nice also! They should be working more on updates that can be uploaded as most scanners have the space.

Most people will keep their scanners for at least 5 years or longer, especially if they have to spend big money on them.

DonS

citylink_uk said:
They should be working more on updates that can be uploaded as most scanners have the space.
Somehow, I doubt that many end users know how much "code space" remains in any scanner.

DonS

cpuerror said:
The 15 and 996 both have a 1MB capacity. Now everybody knows!
"Capacity" and "how much remains" are entirely different things. My desktop PC has a hard disk capacity of .96 TB, but only 400 GB remain "available".

swwesq

Well, why is it that all the major electronics companies that make ham gear come out with new gear once and sometimes even twice per year?

Icom, Yaesu, Alinco, etc have got stuff that blows away the techlogy of our scanners. Aside from the fact that most ham's own at least one scanner, there are many more non-hams that listen and are not hams. This is a big market. I just don't get it.

Also, why does Icom still keep putting out new scanners that don't do trunking?

If we had the tech any trunking scanners that the last ham gear has we would have:

1) Dual watch (2 seperate vfo's) and could listen or at least monitor at least 2 channels at a time.

2) Bluetooth earpieces for handhelds.

3) Nice lipo batteries that will scan for a week without recharging.

4) Color changing LCD screens.

5) The ability to output a displacy to a big lcd monitor without a computer.

6) Build into decoding of digital modes such as cw, posag, etc.

The list can go on and on.

Concrete1

swwesq said:
Icom, Yaesu, Alinco, etc have got stuff that blows away the techlogy of our scanners.....

The list can go on and on.

"Blows Away the Tech of our Scanners ??????????? ???

* Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco Have NEVER produced a scanner/receiver with even the basic scanning needs addressed by Uniden/GRE RS, let alone more advanced tech .. ...

No "Icom" K,Y, Alinco ect hasd ever been able to even do basic trunking , something in Unidens for at least 15 years .... .. They have never addressed APCO 25 digital...

Unlike Uniden, No "amateur brand" receiver, except for a few Super expensive HF rigs, has been able to be computer controlled, only "programmed"..

No "amateur Brand" Handheld has ever had remote head capability, ever...

No Fire page tone-out, sorry ..

GPS Location based scanning capability/points of interest ... , Sorry "Icom", no receiver of yours will do any of that either ...

Built in Full frequency counter (close call) & PL decoder across the entire line .. Nope.
Dynamic memory structure, V-folders ... Nope.

* Surely, at least, these basic non-trunking, non APCO, non close call, non computer controllable receivers cost way less than a basic Uniden ..... NOPE.

* Perhaps they at least Inlude the Programming cable .. Nope.

The above alone means that , regardless of any specific single "feature" or 2 on some amateur rig, they have not just never even "blown away" Uniden's Tech, ... They haven't even caught up with the scanner tech from 5 or 10 years ago, & Amateur companies have never shown the ability to even be remotely price competitive with a Uniden scanner.

** Purchasing an Icom ect as your primary radio to monitor Police or most other transmissions above 30Mhz is almost an expensive mistake/joke at this point.....

* Ability to hook up "directly" to a big LCD monitor???? - Only found in a couple tranceivers that cost $ from $1K to 12,000 "Kilobucks", & yet even those are still missing most or all of the Uniden features!!!
* Bluetooth headset capability?? Fine idea, Scanners don't transmit so not on anyone's list for the next scanner feature, & there is only ONE single yaesu mobile tranceiver model currently available for actual purchase today w/ that feature anyway.

Well at least instead they all scan slower, get AM radio broadcasts & have dual VFO's .. I better throw out my Uniden Trunktrackers right now for those radios that will blow me away... :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.