New to all of this

Status
Not open for further replies.

LVRocknRolla

Hello all, I am completely new at all of this and was looking to find someone in the vegas area to help me get started, Im the kind of person who needs to see something in person to really make it click in my brain so hopefully someone here in vegas will be willing to show me the basics, Thank you.
-Kevin

br0adband

Well, first you'd need to define what you mean precisely by saying "new at all of this" because this hobby aka radio monitoring aka scanning and aka all sorts of things is rather complicated overall. ;)

Welcome to the forum, and I myself am a Las Vegas coming up on 20 years now living in the downtown area. Can't say I can offer much info in terms of "hands on" as all I've got nowadays is my trusty laptop and an RTL stick or two aka "cheap USB TV tuner" that allows me to use SDR applications (SDR = Software Defined Radio) to control the tuner on the USB stick and do all sorts of cool stuff and at a ridiculously low price (free software and ~$10 for the stick itself, few bucks more for the hardware to construct an antenna or two).

It's a fun hobby overall, some folks like myself just choose to listen as I've done for 40+ years now to radio of all kinds, be it regular AM/FM stuff, Shortwave aka HF, and of course into the higher frequencies using traditional "police scanners" over the years, and now moving into what many of us consider to be the future of our hobby/hobbies: the computer controlled software defined radio aspects which can and do allow for a lot more potential than just any old "police scanner" regardless of price or complexity.

So... ask questions, participate, and most of all have fun, always... ;)

SCPD

QRT
I've been thinking of coming down to Las Vegas and visiting AES. I need to get my hands on some stuff and not try to order by picture. Now that I know there is an In & Out nearby I think the trip will occur sooner than later!

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Heading to Vagas in March

Hi All,
I am heading to Vegas at the end of March and planned on bringing my PSR-800. Can any one recommend what I should put in my scanner as far as police and fire? Did I read it correctly that the Vegas PD is on the dreaded open sky but simulcast on the VHF side? Mainly just point to what sites for trunking I need to put in and any VHF that is currently in use. Any help is appreciated....Thanks

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
I am heading to Vegas at the end of March and planned on bringing my PSR-800. Can any one recommend what I should put in my scanner as far as police and fire? Did I read it correctly that the Vegas PD is on the dreaded open sky but simulcast on the VHF side? Mainly just point to what sites for trunking I need to put in and any VHF that is currently in use. Any help is appreciated....Thanks

Sent you a pm

Status
Not open for further replies.