• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New to AWIN with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB5FAS

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
68
Location
Central Arkansas
Ok - I finally bought the RS Pro-96 and have begun monitoring the State's AWIN system and am finding myself with more questions that answers, so bear with me with what to many may be really basic questions. FYI...I live in Sherwood (Pulaski County) and monitor Shenal,Lonoke, East Little Rock and Cabot.

(1) "Statewide monitoring" -- I've read and heard that monitors are able to monitor communications statewide -- I agree and have been able to monitor ASP Troops B,K & L.

BUT...(here is the question)...the statewide communications appear really on and off. Listening the the system is almost like visualizing a series of doors. A door opens and all of the sudden Troop L is coming in non-stop for a few minutes or a few hours and then just like closing a door, the troop traffic is gone for the rest of the day. For instance, yesterday I was hearing Troops B & L and today only hearing Troop B.

One of my good friends who also monitors the system explained it this way: In order for a troop outside of your transmitter area (in my case outside of Troop A) to be heard, then a radio that is tuned to the outside troop must be on somewhere in the local transmitter range (ie: a trooper from Troop L drives to Little Rock to a school and as he drives into the Troop A transmitters such as Shinall, then the sytem "grabs that data" and begins simulcasting the information)

Is that the case? or as the sytem developes will the system stabalize some in that area?

(2) ADEM. I've noticed a good set of talk groups for ADEM. When a disaster, say a tornado, occurs outside of my "normal" listening troop...will I be able to hear the radio traffic if ADEM is involved. In other words, if the disaster is in El Dorado and ADEM is talking to field crews there, is that pretty much a given that the traffic would be heard here in Central Arkansas?

(3) During Severe Weather, would/does ADEM relay the severe weather watches/warnings over AWIN to the affected areas? This would be similar to the way State Health used to do it years ago.

(4) About the talk group that indicates severe weather reports being relayed to NWS...is that ADEM passing traffic on to NWS that it is receiving or is this individual AWIN users relaying traffic direct to NWS? And since NWS Little Rock is in Central Arkansas, would I be able to hear this traffic?

(5) Finally....is AWIN going to be encrypted? I've heard both sides on this with much of it coming down to money. However, the state does have a $400+ surplus so if they wanted to encrypt it, surely the money is there to do it.

Thanks for reading the post. I've monitored the Little Rock TRS site for years and have it eenjoyed monitoring that sytem. However, this AWIN can be very frustrating :)

Joe KB5FAS
 

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
656
Location
Collierville, TN
KB5FAS said:
One of my good friends who also monitors the system explained it this way: In order for a troop outside of your transmitter area (in my case outside of Troop A) to be heard, then a radio that is tuned to the outside troop must be on somewhere in the local transmitter range (ie: a trooper from Troop L drives to Little Rock to a school and as he drives into the Troop A transmitters such as Shinall, then the sytem "grabs that data" and begins simulcasting the information)

Is that the case? or as the sytem developes will the system stabalize some in that area?
That is the case. When a trooper goes out of his "home" area, his radio will affiliate with a new tower, then that tower will start transmitting traffic from his "home" area. As soon as he leaves that area, and affiliates with another tower, the traffic will stop.

At least this is the way I've been told it works. Matt (safetyobc) knows far more about it than I. Go to www.scanningarkansas.com He has a wealth of information on the system and how it works.
 

safetyobc

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
3,345
Location
South Arkansas
KB5FAS said:
(1) "Statewide monitoring" -- I've read and heard that monitors are able to monitor communications statewide -- I agree and have been able to monitor ASP Troops B,K & L.

BUT...(here is the question)...the statewide communications appear really on and off. Listening the the system is almost like visualizing a series of doors. A door opens and all of the sudden Troop L is coming in non-stop for a few minutes or a few hours and then just like closing a door, the troop traffic is gone for the rest of the day. For instance, yesterday I was hearing Troops B & L and today only hearing Troop B.

One of my good friends who also monitors the system explained it this way: In order for a troop outside of your transmitter area (in my case outside of Troop A) to be heard, then a radio that is tuned to the outside troop must be on somewhere in the local transmitter range (ie: a trooper from Troop L drives to Little Rock to a school and as he drives into the Troop A transmitters such as Shinall, then the sytem "grabs that data" and begins simulcasting the information)

Is that the case? or as the sytem developes will the system stabalize some in that area?
This is correct. Not sure if it will stabalize any or not, expecially for you in Troop A. Because all other troops travel to Little Rock to get supplies, training, paperwork, etc. so you'll likely hear all kinds of stuff others usually don't hear. AWIN put out a newsletter several weeks ago telling troopers coming to troop A to turn off their home troop because when several troopers from differnt troops were on the same tower, it would overload the tower and the home troopers (Troop A) couldn't transmit.

KB5FAS said:
(2) ADEM. I've noticed a good set of talk groups for ADEM. When a disaster, say a tornado, occurs outside of my "normal" listening troop...will I be able to hear the radio traffic if ADEM is involved. In other words, if the disaster is in El Dorado and ADEM is talking to field crews there, is that pretty much a given that the traffic would be heard here in Central Arkansas?
If you have an ADEM unit associated (near) a tower you are listening to this is possible. I am in Troop F and have heard ADEM from Troop L, Troop I, and many many more on different situations. This is also true for Forestry.

However, I have found this to be true for ADEM Dispatch. The regional channels are more for those in that area to talk to one another and aren't usually heard outside that area unless someone from that area is on your tower.

KB5FAS said:
3) During Severe Weather, would/does ADEM relay the severe weather watches/warnings over AWIN to the affected areas? This would be similar to the way State Health used to do it years ago.
I have heard area OEMs calling ADEM giving storm reports, etc. Trees down, hail, etc. I have also heard ADEM workers calling dispatch with the same information.

KB5FAS said:
(4) About the talk group that indicates severe weather reports being relayed to NWS...is that ADEM passing traffic on to NWS that it is receiving or is this individual AWIN users relaying traffic direct to NWS? And since NWS Little Rock is in Central Arkansas, would I be able to hear this traffic?
I haven't heard this. Not sure if they will or not.

KB5FAS said:
(5) Finally....is AWIN going to be encrypted? I've heard both sides on this with much of it coming down to money. However, the state does have a $400+ surplus so if they wanted to encrypt it, surely the money is there to do it.
I have heard 1 AWIN TGID that was encrypted. My BCD396T will indicate when a channel is encrypted by displaying ENC on the screen. I heard this in Troop F. I don't know this for sure and am only guessing but I could see them encrypting some of the TGIDs, maybe some of the DEA or similar TGIDs but I don't see it happening for all troops. But that is just a guess. I could be wrong.

KB5FAS said:
Thanks for reading the post. I've monitored the Little Rock TRS site for years and have it eenjoyed monitoring that sytem. However, this AWIN can be very frustrating :)
Pine Bluff and Jefferson County are already on AWIN. Little Rock has plans to put in it's own digital system in the future. So at least with the Pro-96, you'll be ready for the change. No date for changing has been set for this, but the bond money has already been approved and is being used for various things like street improvments, etc. If I am not mistaken, I think they are currently researching areas and system requirements. Just hope they don't go with some unmonitorable service like ProVoice or other system. If they are smart they will go with the same type system as AWIN, Motorola P25.

Hope this has helped you in some way.

safetyobc
 
Last edited:

KB5FAS

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
68
Location
Central Arkansas
Thanks for the information...Shelling out $400 for the scanner was very painful and I keep convincing myself I made the right decision. To be honest, the main concern is encryption though I can't see much need in encrypting the Foresty Commission. I did hear a unit this morning calling ADEM on TG #2659 stating he had been advised of a fire in Crittenden County and was e/r to check things out. Have been pleased with the scanner and with what I heard...just want to figure it out a bit more. Thanks again for the information.
 

safetyobc

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
3,345
Location
South Arkansas
I wouldn't be overly concerned with encryption. There may be some TGIDs that will encrypted but I doubt seriously it will be a large number of them.
 

weather4ar

Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
134
Location
Little Rock, AR
"(2) ADEM. I've noticed a good set of talk groups for ADEM. When a disaster, say a tornado, occurs outside of my "normal" listening troop...will I be able to hear the radio traffic if ADEM is involved. In other words, if the disaster is in El Dorado and ADEM is talking to field crews there, is that pretty much a given that the traffic would be heard here in Central Arkansas?" Answer: Yes. In April, when Marmaduke was hit by a tornado, ADEM's Ops were loud and clear in Central Arkansas.

"(3) During Severe Weather, would/does ADEM relay the severe weather watches/warnings over AWIN to the affected areas? This would be similar to the way State Health used to do it years ago."

Answer: ADEM does relay Watches and Warnings, as does ASP in some cases. This is a long standing procedure. If you heard Health doing it, they were operating in backup mode to the ASP Radio System.

"(4) About the talk group that indicates severe weather reports being relayed to NWS...is that ADEM passing traffic on to NWS that it is receiving or is this individual AWIN users relaying traffic direct to NWS? And since NWS Little Rock is in Central Arkansas, would I be able to hear this traffic?"

Answer: Yes, the NWS Offices in North Little Rock, AR., Memphis,TN., Tulsa, OK., Jackson, MS., and Shreveport, LA., are on AWIN, and sometimes you'll hear them talking to ADEM County Coordinators, and Local ASP troops. It works similar to how they would use the National Warning System (NAWAS) telephone network. It just saves time and gives more flexability.

If you also want to tune in to the Skywarn Nets, I recommend listening to 146.940 MHz. This net operates from NWS LZK when activated by the Duty Forecasters during Severe Weather. Also, don't forget NOAA Weather Radio on 162.55 Mhz.

Weather4ar
 
Last edited:

McReb

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
149
Location
McComb, Ms
AWIN - Is it possible to Control Channel this system?

I am from McComb, Ms, and have never tried to monitor AWIN.

I have just learned that a dear friend's sister is very low and is now under hospice. This may necessiate a quick trip to Arkansas. I have a Bearcat 796D. Is it possible to Control Channel this system on my 796?

Thank you.
 
D

DAVIDJ8784

Guest
Awin monitoring

Ok - I finally bought the RS Pro-96 and have begun monitoring the State's AWIN system and am finding myself with more questions that answers, so bear with me with what to many may be really basic questions. FYI...I live in Sherwood (Pulaski County) and monitor Shenal,Lonoke, East Little Rock and Cabot.

(1) "Statewide monitoring" -- I've read and heard that monitors are able to monitor communications statewide -- I agree and have been able to monitor ASP Troops B,K & L.

BUT...(here is the question)...the statewide communications appear really on and off. Listening the the system is almost like visualizing a series of doors. A door opens and all of the sudden Troop L is coming in non-stop for a few minutes or a few hours and then just like closing a door, the troop traffic is gone for the rest of the day. For instance, yesterday I was hearing Troops B & L and today only hearing Troop B.

One of my good friends who also monitors the system explained it this way: In order for a troop outside of your transmitter area (in my case outside of Troop A) to be heard, then a radio that is tuned to the outside troop must be on somewhere in the local transmitter range (ie: a trooper from Troop L drives to Little Rock to a school and as he drives into the Troop A transmitters such as Shinall, then the sytem "grabs that data" and begins simulcasting the information)

Is that the case? or as the sytem developes will the system stabalize some in that area?

(2) ADEM. I've noticed a good set of talk groups for ADEM. When a disaster, say a tornado, occurs outside of my "normal" listening troop...will I be able to hear the radio traffic if ADEM is involved. In other words, if the disaster is in El Dorado and ADEM is talking to field crews there, is that pretty much a given that the traffic would be heard here in Central Arkansas?

(3) During Severe Weather, would/does ADEM relay the severe weather watches/warnings over AWIN to the affected areas? This would be similar to the way State Health used to do it years ago.

(4) About the talk group that indicates severe weather reports being relayed to NWS...is that ADEM passing traffic on to NWS that it is receiving or is this individual AWIN users relaying traffic direct to NWS? And since NWS Little Rock is in Central Arkansas, would I be able to hear this traffic?

(5) Finally....is AWIN going to be encrypted? I've heard both sides on this with much of it coming down to money. However, the state does have a $400+ surplus so if they wanted to encrypt it, surely the money is there to do it.

Thanks for reading the post. I've monitored the Little Rock TRS site for years and have it eenjoyed monitoring that sytem. However, this AWIN can be very frustrating :)

Joe KB5FAS
Hello David Here! What is the frequencys to Monitor AWIN Channels
 

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
935
Location
Elk City, Oklahoma
Greetings from Oklahoma!

While everyone is talking about the HP, I'm in oklahoma and I'm planning a trip to your state, I'll be all over, little rock, mena, bentonville, all on hospital business.. but I'll be in Rogers for the holiday, (my wife is from there)

anyway, I think I asked before last year and never got an answer. I have a 996t and I was wondering if there is a ready made file outhere that I could download?. It would save me hours of work.

Thanks for any help

Jim
KE5FEK
 

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
12,850
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Firstly on encryption and AWIN,.. only one area so far is heavily using encryption, and thats Fort Smith I believe. FBI loves to encrypt if they havea tg on the AWIN, itll most likely be an encrypted one. DEA and USMS have so far been clear. As for traffic,... you want to program all the towers for the area you want to monitor, and then you have a better chance of catching traffic as it affiliates to the other towers in the area. Some traffic is limited to local areas near they place they operate on, while some traffic is statewide. Most of the ADEM, MAC etc type tg's youll hear anywhere, especially MAC-CALL as it is used for WX announcements. If you download Pro96Comn, you can watch the towers near you and see what the majority of traffic affiliating regularly is. As for Little Rock they have two very easily done ways to go... either upgrade their 800 to ASTRO-25, and have it patched to the AWIN,... or just flat out go on the AWIN. Or they could build an whole new system. If they end up going 700 MHz, that knocks the users of the 96/2096out of the loop as far as tunktracking them goes. I just added a new TG for Saline County. It is currently being used for all the LEA traffic. Was initially an TAC tg from the traffic I monitored. SO now as far as I can tell, they have 3 TG's thus far, but I will keep watching.
 

WTRickman

Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2009
Messages
34
Location
Greenbrier, Arkansas
"
Answer: Yes, the NWS Offices in North Little Rock, AR., Memphis,TN., Tulsa, OK., Jackson, MS., and Shreveport, LA., are on AWIN, and sometimes you'll hear them talking to ADEM County Coordinators, and Local ASP troops. It works similar to how they would use the National Warning System (NAWAS) telephone network. It just saves time and gives more flexability.
What talkgroups are the NWS centers on?
 

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
12,850
Location
Indianapolis, IN
2713 a99 D WEATHER Severe Weather reporting to the NWS
2601 a29 D MAC CALL Mutual Aid Calling, (Used to announce Wx Info, Haz Info, etc)
 

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
12,850
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Any user of the system that roams into another area will affiliate with the nearest sites. If his radio is say set with lets say... Troop K and he rolls into the area of say Troop E, then youll get Troop K traffic until he leaves the area... Also ASP at least has the ability from HQ in Little Rock to broadcast on ANY ASP tg. AHP has an similar set up, and used it quite a bit while they were doing work on the individual District radios... D4 was on D1 tg's etc. ADEM you can hear almost all of the traffic statewide during big incidents. ADH, ADC, AF&G, and AFC you can hear statewide. Governors Security Units (GS) you will hear all day on Troop A TG's. Over the next couple of years expect at least two new sites to be built for coverage issues, as well as a lot of new TG's as users subscribe. The AWIN is an growing system. I discovered the Saline Co TG's by doing a lil preemptive programming in my scanner in anticipation of growth of Saline's usage... (call it an hunch) and sure enough, activity popped up... Tonight I heard both SO, and OEM on the new tg....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top