New to Digital Scanning-help with programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
I am new to this digital scanning. I have been scanning since I was 15 years old (I am 48 now.) But this new type is getting me confused. I tried to search the forum but I am really not sure what I should be typing in the search box. For anyone with an idea, let me know.

Anyway, I have a Whistler 1040. It covers my area (NC) without trouble. My issue is the programming of it. I am use PSRedit. I have downloaded frequencies to that I would like to hear in different areas. I want to cover my home county, surrounding counties, and our place at the beach. I am looking at Police, Fire, EMS, and Medical. I also have State Police on there too. But I have no idea how to set it up with the different groups.

When I am listening some of the traffic will show my county information by name. The NC State Trooper information shows that name. But all the others show just numbers so I have no idea what I am listening to.

Can someone help me with the set up or tell me where I can look for help with making this work the best I can?

Thank you.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Have you assigned each frequency or talkgroup to a scanlist? Scanlists are like banks and you can arrange the frequencies and talkgroups by service, geography, or another method that suits your preferences. The display of numbers and not alpha tags suggests you've added a Wildcard entry but don't have all talkgroups entered. The displayed numbers represent talkgroups that you've not programmed the corresponding alpha tag for in the Trunking Object list. If that's the case, remove any Wildcard entries and ensure you have downloaded all available talkgroups from RR into PSREdit. You also can find additional information on PSREdit here: https://forums.radioreference.com/forums/scanner-programming-software.89/.

jmischlersw

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I did add Wild Card on there. I'll go in re-vamp. Thanks for the suggestions.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
The addition of a Wildcard can be helpful if you are monitoring a trunked digital system that has not yet been completely built-out. You'd be able to receive new talkgroups as they come online.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@jmischlersw I think this will answer some of your questions on changing/organizing scanlists and talkgroups in PSREdit. If there were any other questions you have, or if this doesn't cover what you were asking, we'll be happy to try and help you.

Attachments

• Changing Scanlists in PSREdit.pdf
    446.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.