new to ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleshatten

Please bear with me, trying to learn as I go.Just purchased a Kenwood TM V71A. I am trying to put freq 155.75250 into my radio, however it will only allow me to put 155.7500 or 155.75500. I have a CTC ENC on TX of 203.5. The reason I am asking I am a volunteer Search and Rescue for my county and this is one of the frequencies that are supposed to be in our radios. thanx

155.75250 is a narrowband freq. The TMV71 is a great radio, but like most other amateur gear, doesn't accept a true narrowband splinter freq. Many older scanners have the same issue.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Please bear with me, trying to learn as I go.Just purchased a Kenwood TM V71A. I am trying to put freq 155.75250 into my radio, however it will only allow me to put 155.7500 or 155.75500. I have a CTC ENC on TX of 203.5. The reason I am asking I am a volunteer Search and Rescue for my county and this is one of the frequencies that are supposed to be in our radios. thanx

If it's new, see if you can return it. The V71 is an amateur radio and does not have the type acceptance to be used for transmitting outside the amateur radio bands. You need a commercial radio to legally transmit in that part of the spectrum.

AgentCOPP1

Sounds like a frequency step problem. You can set certain radios to have different frequency steps, meaning they go up or down the spectrum in smaller (or larger) increments. The smallest is typically around 2.5khz for VHF/UHF radios.

k6cpo

Sounds like a frequency step problem. You can set certain radios to have different frequency steps, meaning they go up or down the spectrum in smaller (or larger) increments. The smallest is typically around 2.5khz for VHF/UHF radios.

True. I've looked at the specs for the Kenwood TM V71A and I couldn't find if this was possible or not, however the radio is NOT going to transmit on 155.75250 (the frequency the OP wants to enter) no matter what, because that frequency is outside the amateur bands. The transmit coverage of the TM V71A is 144-148 MHz and 438-450 MHz.

ipfd320

Banned
The Radio in Question Will Only Txmitt in the Ham Bands144-149-it Should be Able to Recieve in the 137-174 Bands
I Have a ICOM V-8000 and Came Across the Same Problem-There is a Mod for my Radio to Open it Up but i Paid Good Money for a Good Radio so im not Going to Mess With it

As Another Poster Posted Above Your Best Bet is to Get a Used Commercial Radio and have it Programmed for the 155 Freqs you Need----Good Luck on Your Journey

LtDoc

If your only reason for looking into ham radio is a cheaper radio for Part 90, then you're wasting your time.
Sure, some ham radios can be modified to work Part-90 stuff, but the consequences are not worth the effort/cost.
- 'doc

k6cpo

If your only reason for looking into ham radio is a cheaper radio for Part 90, then you're wasting your time.
Sure, some ham radios can be modified to work Part-90 stuff, but the consequences are not worth the effort/cost.
- 'doc

There are Chinese-made Part 90 radios available that are less expensive than most of the Japanese-made HTs. I use an earlier model of THIS radio on railroad frequencies at the railroad museum where I am a volunteer.

rapidcharger

The smallest channel step size on the v71a is 5kHz but you will might actually be able to get closer to it in the 7.5 setting. I'm not near mine at the moment but I'm sure you can get close enough to monitor slightly off frequency if the signal isn't super weak.

Monitor being the operative word.

N8IAA

If it is a receive only frequency, and not to transmitted on, you will hear 155.7525 on either 155.75, or 155.755.
If you need to transmit on the frequency, you'll need to get a radio that does Part 90. The Chinese dual band radios should work on the narrow band frequency that your county SAR is on.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.