New to scanners looking for suggestions

Wrzl830

Premium Subscriber
Hello I currently live in Broward county and looking to get a scanner or a pager I keep seeing mixed reviews on the sds100 and some things about the unification G5 pager , im maninly looking to listen to Broward county tac channels as well as many some EMS/Fire stuff and public health related stuff since Thats pretty much what I do all day , what would I be better off getting ? and what are some things to look out for especially in Broward county area ? they both are pricy so looking to get as might insight and tips as well on how to program and which is easier for a beginner? ive used programs like cps and Motorola programing and chirp so have some field experience I guess .... thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Both are good choices for that area, one major difference if using a G5, while being able to get a good signal, having a smaller size, ability to use Bluetooth ear piece or speaker, and drop in charging options, you will be limited to monitoring only one system, one site, and 64 talkgroups (or 62 talkgroups with a wildcard), at a time.

If you will need to monitor multiple systems or sites, or more than 64 talkgroups at a time, then the SDS might be a better choice.

Wrzl830

Premium Subscriber
Both are good choices for that area, one major difference if using a G5, while being able to get a good signal, having a smaller size, ability to use Bluetooth ear piece or speaker, and drop in charging options, you will be limited to monitoring only one system, one site, and 64 talkgroups (or 62 talkgroups with a wildcard), at a time.

If you will need to monitor multiple systems or sites, or more than 64 talkgroups at a time, then the SDS might be a better choice.
So im still pretty new to this , so I know like on a uhf radio I do dual scan , but your saying pretty much if im listening to TAC 1 thats all im gonna hear unless I switch? or its just not gonna be as much traffic , how's the programing for both? I know sds100 can do zip code

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So im still pretty new to this , so I know like on a uhf radio I do dual scan , but your saying pretty much if im listening to TAC 1 thats all im gonna hear unless I switch? or its just not gonna be as much traffic

No, not just TAC 1, but fewer TGs than the SDS will. For example you want to monitor the TAC channels on the Broward system and UHF frequencies in the area at the same time the SDS is the better choice.

how's the programing for both? I know sds100 can do zip code

Programming for both is more complicated, as radio systems become more complicated so does the programming. However, there are plenty of people willing to help on here as well as YouTube videos. The SDS will do zip code programming, but it doesn't always give you the results you want. Learn to program it the way you want for the best traffic.

NOTE: I own two G5s and love them, I do not own a SDS, my recommendations are based on how the units operate not my preferences.

Last edited:

Wrzl830

Premium Subscriber
No, not just TAC 1, but fewer TGs than the SDS will. For example you want to monitor the TAC channels on the Broward system and UHF frequencies in the area at the same time the SDS is the better choice.

Programming for both is more complicated, as radio systems become more complicated so does the programming. However, there are plenty of people willing to help on here as well as YouTube videos. The SDS will do zip code programming, but it doesn't always give you the results you want. Learn to program it the way you want for the best traffic.

NOTE: I own two G5s and love them, I do not own a SDS, my recommendations are based on how the units operate not my preferences.
So let's say Broward was using tac 1 and Tac 2 with the G5 I would just have to switch between both ? its just more fine tuning ? hmm I will keep that in mind im just trying to make the smart move first time

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So let's say Broward was using tac 1 and Tac 2 with the G5 I would just have to switch between both ? its just more fine tuning ? hmm I will keep that in mind im just trying to make the smart move first time
NO, that is not what I'm saying. What I am saying is if there are TGs (channels) on both the Broward County Public Safety and Broward County Public Services Motorola Type II SmartZone system then you can not listen to both at once without switching knob positions. Likewise, if you want to listen to the Broward County Public Safety system and the County Courthouse (Fort Lauderdale) on 453.325, you can't do it without switching knobs. However, if everything you are listening to is on the P25 Phase 2 system, then you are good. You can hear up to 64 different channels on one knob.

Broward County Public Safety

Wrzl830

Premium Subscriber
NO, that is not what I'm saying. What I am saying is if there are TGs (channels) on both the Broward County Public Safety and Broward County Public Services Motorola Type II SmartZone system then you can not listen to both at once without switching knob positions. Likewise, if you want to listen to the Broward County Public Safety system and the County Courthouse (Fort Lauderdale) on 453.325, you can't do it without switching knobs. However, if everything you are listening to is on the P25 Phase 2 system, then you are good. You can hear up to 64 different channels on one knob.

Broward County Public Safety
Oh Perfect! I think the g5 is going to be better for me also it is smaller ! thanks for the clarification , also is there ever a lot of talk on the courthouse frequency I thought about adding it just never have yet might add it later tonight !

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Oh Perfect! I think the g5 is going to be better for me also it is smaller ! thanks for the clarification , also is there ever a lot of talk on the courthouse frequency I thought about adding it just never have yet might add it later tonight !

I'm hundreds of miles away from you, so I can't tell you. Those frequencies vary by county for use and activity. Also, you never know if they've kept the license but migrated to the new P25 P2 system, and no one has confirmed it.

Oh Perfect! I think the g5 is going to be better for me also it is smaller !

If you are choosing the G5, take the time to look at the database and see what is around you that you might want to listen to. This will help you decide what band split you want for the G5. Also, even if you don't think you'll need it, invest the $30 and add DMR when ordering, this way if you decide you want it you have it, rather than sending the pager back to get it added and being without it for weeks.

Capture.PNG

palmerjrusa

If you're only interested in scanning one system then a Unication G5 would be an excellent choice.

I love my G5, very sensitive, great display and battery life plus good audio. It's also commercial grade construction and built like tank.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
I'm local, host several feeds and I'm a Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic so here is my 2 Cents - The Uni G4/G5 is Extremely Limited for this area. Broward alone has 3 Different Simulcast Systems and then add the Miami-Dade County and Cities that's another 5 systems. I had the G4 and it couldn't keep up with "My" listening habits, yours maybe different. I loved the G4 but I sold it and got ANOTHER SDS200. I now run 1 SDS100 grab and go, and 2 SDS200's in the house. Also, don't forget RTL-SDRs when at home. I love my 3 RTL-SDRs running SDR Trunk when I'm home at my desk and they supply a feed. Everybody has different tools in their toolbox based on individual needs.
If you really don't want to miss anything and are only concerned with Broward then an SDS100 or SDS200 AND the addition of a Uni G4 or another SDS will put you in a great place. BUT if you are only a casual at home listener maybe start cheap with at least 2 RTL-SDRs or an SDS100/200, only you can make up your mind. We can only hand you DeWalt, Milwaukee or Snap On.

RetChf

FWIW, and this may be too late, but I, too, debated on the SDS100 and the G5. I chose to use the SD100 and love it. I can monitor P25P2 Broward Co FR depts and Sheriff, CONV UHF Miami-Dade FR, and CONV VHF US Coast Guard, marine, and aviation. The SDS100 is the perfect all-in-one scanner in my humble opinion. However, as most of us in this hobby have come to realize, one scanner/radio is never enough! :)