New to Scanning, DuComm and Simulcast Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC9BX

769.00625 if still in use is likely going to be P25 digital and likely simplex for fireground. There were/are analog channels laid out in the 700MHz public safety plan but their use is rare. I see by the database that it is part of the DuPage Interop Radio System. That system has been decommissioned. I'd hang on to the WS1010, especially considering the price.
Most analog trunking today will be VHF and in 450s. So missing out on 800s for analog isn't much of a concern.

Considering other radios, you're better with a model that supports or has already been rebanded for 800MHz. Some older models won't cover 700s, but they also won't hear P25. UHF TV went to 806MHz until 2009. Rebanding is only a real issue for trunking. But there may be issues of specific ranges being available or not on a particular model radio. Newer models will generally also support narrow FM which most everyone is supposed to be using. You can hear wide or narrow on one-another but with lower audio level or high distortion depending on which way you're going.

I don't know about the specific departments you wish to hear but some dispatched on digital trunking still use older VHF fireground if for no other reason than compatibility with neighboring departments. So, include fireground red and white at the least, 153.83 and 154.28. I'd also include IFERN on 154.265. ISPERN on 155.475 is good too but that's getting weird. It should all be patched back and forth from VHF to P25 but it isn't always. IEMA does still use VHF low, 45.44.

There is some analog trunking out there, local university here, towing company (both in 450s). But even those that remain are often intending to move to something newer. So you really do have to go through the database. My city for streets and PD for chat use analog trunking occasionally. One could listen as conventional considering there's only a few talkgroups and use is light. However, on the system is also some city data and it's use is very heavy. So in this case I need trunking support just to ignore what I don't want to hear. Unless there's something needing to be omitted one can always listen to analog trunking as conventional, but you hear everything.

If there's something you want now that your scanner won't do you could get a cheapy USB dongle and free software. I'd recommend the genuine RTL-SDR blog model. (there's counterfeits)

Last edited:

tommypickles

769.00625 should only be analog. This is part of a group of frequencies that are low power analog use only according to Nation and State operating guides. See Attached.
Some fire depts./dists. in DuPage unofficially adopted this frequency as a fire ground.

Attachments

• 700 Analog.pdf
    226.4 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.