new to shortwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTouesnard

Feed Provider
hello, im just getting into using shortwave radio and was wondering what would be a good shortwave to purchase, i know cost comes into play alot but I dont mind paying for quality

w2xq

Mentor
With all due respect, have you read through the RR wiki and looked through the many threads in the forums? Have you tried search atop any RR page?

Honestly you haven't provided enough information to answer your question. The choice of a SW receiver depends on what you want to listen to. Whether broadcasters, radio amateurs, utilities, aero or marine, the choice of a tabletop or portable will give different results. Antenna options come into play: outside or inside or telescoping whip?

I'm not trying to discourage you but, respectively, there is no simple answer to your question. You need to do a bit of easy reading in order to formulate better questions. HTH a bit.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
Tell us a little bit about your situation. When you say "pay for quality", what exactly is your budget? Are you willing to pay a few grand on a high end HF rig? Do you want computer control? Or are you looking for a more conventional SWL radio? Couple hundred, few hundred, one hundred? Because you can do well in any of those categories.

Personally I'm a more conventional knob tuning shortwave listener. I've owned various portables ranging from $79-$400. I don't go for the super high end stuff, not because it's out of budget for me but mostly because part of the hobby to me is finding the "wolf in sheep's clothing" receivers. I like the garage sale and antique shop finds. For example, a big reason why I'm active in this forum right now is because I made a great score recently. I came across a Sony ICF-2010 very under priced in an antique shop. This radio in particular is widely regarded as one of the best ever made. It's performance is on par with much more expensive desktop radios but it's a portable. They're going for $250-$400, but I found this one for $25. The point is that "paying for quality" is subjective. I certainly didn't pay for quality, but I certainly got it anyway. Shortwave as a hobby can be fun that way. Sometimes a cheaper radio with the right setup can outperform other radios in a higher price category. That's what I'm in this hobby for. Alternatively you can pay $800 for something new and fancy, but what's the fun in that? :)

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for a suggestion for a specific radio, everyone is going to have their own opinions. Based on what you describe though you'll definitely want a radio with SSB for ham monitoring. Voice coms are going to be on the USB and CW on LSB.

Are you wanting to get something brand new? Because an Icom R75 is a good bet. On the other hand sometimes there's more value in getting something older or even vintage. An R71 which was the predecessor of the R75, is a great radio as well and might be a better value. Also the aforementioned Sony ICF-2010 is also one of the top performers.

How do you like to listen? Do you sit at a desk and have the ability to set up antennas outside? Do you like to take the radio around with you from place to place?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
hello, im just getting into using shortwave radio and was wondering what would be a good shortwave to purchase, i know cost comes into play alot but I dont mind paying for quality

If you don't need Single sideband get a Tecsun PL-380. Great shortwave radio. Does it all really.

tecsun_pl-380_011.jpg

If you want SSB to listen to amateur radio as well then get a Tecsun PL-660. King of the shortwave radios IMO.

434531777_752.jpg

Yes, some guys will point you in the direction of >$500 equipment. But, since you are just starting off, ignore that advice and get a Tecsun. I own both of them and couldn't be happier. If later on you wish to become an amateur radio operator and get a HF radio..well it doubles as a shortwave receiver as well! So don't spend big bucks on a receive only Icom IC-R75. Get an Icom 718 HF radio (in the future).

Here's my Icom 718:
image.jpg

Sorry the picture came out so large..got it off my qrz page.

You're welcome and have fun!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Well said pinballwiz86. The 660 is a nice portable, excellent beginner radio. Then if one should get serious about the hobby the R75 would be an excellent choice.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
If you want SSB to listen to amateur radio as well then get a Tecsun PL-660. King of the shortwave radios IMO.

The Tecsun is absolutely the king, of $90 Chinese radios. And that's not an insult. But let's not confuse the OP. Don't call the PL-660 the "king of shortwave radios". It's a great radio for what it is, but if the MSRP was even $50 more, then it's not quite the king of anything at all. I have one. It has a pretty high noise ceiling, the tuning is completely off by 1khz, and the tuning knob feels cheap and even jams at times.. Tecsun has QC issues. You might get a good one or you might get one that is completely deaf.

If the OP said he's willing to pay for quality, in my mind he's above the -$100 portable category.

Status
Not open for further replies.