New Uniden Models Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Ok, with the announcement of the new Uniden scanner models what NEW JERSEY agencies will be able to monitor, please include agency and county. I will start by saying.

Newark Fire Department ( Essex County )

Thanks

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You'll be able to monitor everything you can currently monitor, plus any P25 systems that use TDMA and are not encrypted. That's really the only thing new as far as protocols added that affect NJ...Phase II TDMA.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Would anyone venture to say this is an Epic Uniden Failure as far as what can be monitored now since the GRE was able to do TDMA II ?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Would anyone venture to say this is an Epic Uniden Failure as far as what can be monitored now since the GRE was able to do TDMA II ?

I don't understand the question. The two new Uniden models will decode Phase II TDMA. If you want to say that Uniden was a little late to join the party, absolutely...but that's a moot point now.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber

It would be a epic failure (I like how everything is "epic" these days) if Uniden refused to include it...not just because they're debuting it after GRE did.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Exactly. Also let's remember that GRE isn't even around anymore, which seems like more of the "epic fail" here.

jaymatt1978

Uniden is practacing a huge misdirection. The did this with the HomePatrol and now with the new scanner. I don't think they're listen to the public like they claim. They needed to be able to decode other formats BESIDE Phase II, .like Motoboro and NXDN

It would be a epic failure (I like how everything is "epic" these days) if Uniden refused to include it...not just because they're debuting it after GRE did.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Uniden is practacing a huge misdirection. The did this with the HomePatrol and now with the new scanner.
Misdirection? What have they promised that they're not delivering on?

I knew exactly what I was getting with my HP-1, and I know what I'm getting with this one when I purchase it.

I don't think they're listen to the public like they claim.
You don't think requests from the public is what lead to many of these innovations?

They needed to be able to decode other formats BESIDE Phase II, .like Motoboro and NXDN
Don't you think if this could have easily or inexpensively done, they would have?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

osiris

I don't see it as Epic or a failure. How long has TDMA been around anyway? At least in N.J. & Pa. that I listen to. And Uniden radios have always been IMHO easier to work with anyway.
Just my 2c worth
Bob

SCPD

QRT
It would have been nice to have Motoboro, NXDN and such, but the price for a scanner of those capabilities would be more than the average scanner listener could afford. I'm sure that Uniden knows the market and realizes that, after all they are still in business and continue to develop products for the scanner hobby.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Like others have mentioned in the firestorm threads going in the Uniden forum, Trbo and NXDN could most likely be added at a later date via firmware update on some kind of flashable upgrade option. We'll just have to wait and see for now. Is there anything in the Tri-State area in public safety using Trbo or NXDN?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
TRBO (DMR) usage is growing in the area, both commercial and public safety. In some cases, you have a mixture of both on the same system (similar to what you might find on LTR systems). Then there are the pseudo-public safety agencies that like to populate these systems, such as private ambulance services.

The thing with TRBO is that it offers quite the bang for the buck. Say what you will about digital radio or systems that can't easily be monitored, but when you're an agency looking to maximize resources, TRBO is very alluring. Especially in this area where radio spectrum is at a premium, and T-Band will have to be vacated within the coming years (we're already seeing some counties and agencies get ahead of the game on that, trying to secure UHF frequencies now to replace their T-Band frequencies).

TRBO in even its most basic form, a single conventional (non-trunked) repeater, offers something you can't get with any other thing out there (including conventional P25): TDMA. You can take a single frequency and instantly turn it into two independent voice channels (slots). This is a huge advantage to agencies that need more capacity but have trouble securing new frequencies. A small agency that shares a frequency for PD and EMS, for example, can now give them each their own separate voice channels on the same frequency, eliminating congestion. Oh and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than P25 as well, especially if you're talking about a multi-million dollar Phase II system.

Anyways...there are quite a few TRBO users in the area. Here's a link to the TRBO conventional report (sorted by state, starting on the NJ page):

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?rpt=5&mode=6&os=1200&sort=6

There are also a couple of TRBO trunked systems in the area that have a mix of users on them (including some EMS/ALS agencies in the Hudson Valley area)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
TRBO in even its most basic form, a single conventional (non-trunked) repeater, offers something you can't get with any other thing out there (including conventional P25): TDMA. You can take a single frequency and instantly turn it into two independent voice channels (slots).

or.... an agency can still keep a single timeslot for voice and use the other timeslot for AVL.

It's an easy way to add AVL without incurring a lot of additional expense.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Exactly. Love it or hate it, TRBO definitely has some benefits for these agencies. With the narrowband mandate forcing a lot of old transmitters off the air that needed to be replaced, it was a no brainer for many outfits to replace them with TRBO equipment. The MTR3000 is a pretty solid unit that gives you a lot of options.

Tac-1

TRBO is a proprietary format owed by Motorola i don't think they are going to give uniden or any other scanner maker a license to use it

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
TRBO is a proprietary format owed by Motorola i don't think they are going to give uniden or any other scanner maker a license to use it

I had fully agreed with this until I found something quite interesting - A company that is just rolling out a new set of portable two ways that are analog and Moto TRBO / Hytera DMR compatible. And this is NOT cheap (crap), just off the boat junk either.

Their UHF version will be out in the next day or two, and the VHF high following not too far down the road.

Actually, while you might think that using a two way 'just' for monitoring is overkill (and it is many times), BUT the price of these units are going to be low enough that even if you bought one of each (UHF and VHF), it is going to be comparably priced to one of the new scanner, and probably even a little more 'less expensive'.
Just because they are two ways doesn't been that they have to be programmed in that fashion.

The bigger thing here that as we initially thought about just how proprietary TRBO is/was going to be, it looks like there are other options, (and VERY viable options at that) out there. Kind of like the similar thoughts about P25 equipment; there are alternatives out there for that as well.

If anyone would like further information on this, please feel free to PM me and I will give you what I have thus far.

Just my $0.02 worth, but as I live in New York, that comes out with taxes to be around $8.64!

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; VM670 Build/FRG83G) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That's a good topic for discussion. But as for the OP I'm not sure if your question was to make the point that we wouldn't be able to hearing anything with this new scanner that we couldn't already hear with the GRE 800. But I will say that with my countt being X2 TDMA as far as Im concerned I can't hear it anyway it comes in so badly. So for LSM and X2/phase 2 audio sufferers the question can this new uniden radio perform better than the PSR 800 on this formatted system. For many of us, I sense the answers may vary due to the different types of phase 2 systems, numbers of towers per simulcast and all that jazz and all the fact that this radio can't just cater to one tlype of digital format. But i will not shell out $500-600 just to hear garble-de-gook. Who else hear in NJ suffers from bad phase 2/X2 audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.