New UP antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
A UP bunk house in my city had an antenna that was VHF and had 2 folded diopoles. It has just been changed to a new antenna that looks like a 2 inch round, black plastic tube about 12 inches long. Is this a new band?

arlo

Premium Subscriber
Something like that. No radials. Just on a 20 foot pipe. Bunk house is just a few years old. Should not have needed a new antenna. There is no office or depot here. Just a switching yard.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

arlo

Premium Subscriber
I will look closer next time I pass by there.

alabamarailfan

Premium Subscriber
Hello Arlo,
This picture came from another group but is also on Union Pacific. Any chance this is what the antenna you saw looked like? I don't have an answer for what it is exactly but if it does look similar, maybe someone else will be able to identify it.

Attachments

• Airport Road _Cortland East_.jpg
    Airport Road _Cortland East_.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 230

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Interesting. I don't know what that would be for, unless it's still RCL related. Does not appear to be related to GPS use, not sure why it would be used for radio code line but I do know that UP is moving areas of their line over to Genisys SD9, which requires a whole different set up compared to conventional ATCS/ARES/Genisys receivers, but I don't know if they use the existing antennas or not.

Mike

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Those small antennas are on most of the small buildings in my area (central Missouri) even when the RCL antennas are on a mast much higher. I've always wondered what they are for.

arlo

Premium Subscriber
What is ATCS- Advanced Train Control System?
What is RCL-Radio Code Line?
What is Genisys SD9?
What is ARES?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
The Genisys Protocol UP is converting their system to is actually called 19200N, the radio in use is an MDS SD9.

ARES is a Protocol for ATCS that as is used mostly by BNSF, not sure if any other railroads use it. It is broadcast over the regular AAR channels in the 160-162MHz range. Most if not all other ATCS/Genisys data is sent somewhere between 896-953MHz.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Actually no. It’s used for the GE reporting system. The name is escaping me now. It’s been installed for at least 5+ years on the high traffic corridors.

the system reports fuel readings, speed of the engine, status and a few other things. UP’s EMD and GE locomotives are equipped.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Also the firecracker isn’t what people think it is. It’s pretty much just a housing for a very flimsy element inside - not as awesome or super as people think they are/were - and why the Sinclair gained popularity.

if you crack one open you’ll see it’s just some wire. One of the reasons why Motorola incorporated a SWR sensor into their radios (will display “bad antenna” on the display in a high SWR/short condition).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Also the firecracker isn’t what people think it is. It’s pretty much just a housing for a very flimsy element inside - not as awesome or super as people think they are/were - and why the Sinclair gained popularity.

if you crack one open you’ll see it’s just some wire. One of the reasons why Motorola incorporated a SWR sensor into their radios (will display “bad antenna” on the display in a high SWR/short condition).
So what your saying is: It is an awesome super expensive plastic case for a coil of cheap wire. Sounds like a lot of products in use. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.