New USSS radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbnv992

For what it’s worth, FPS just traded in their xts5000’s and got APX8000’s in my area about a year ago. All local Feds seem to be running APX7000/8000’s. Haven’t seen many NEXT radios in the wild ( yet at least ). The 8000’s still seem to be the common go-to portable.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
sorry, above post was in error/

Most field ops (protection, advance teams) are using apx 8000's. Some are using the left over 7000's. Very odd thing is ones i've see are 5 zones all on VHF. Got the 8000's cause they are smaller. Expensive way of getting something to fit under a suit coat.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Zone 1 is all known channels in RR (tango, mike, echo, etc), Zone 2 is all simplex channels. Labeled as red, orange, brown, black, etc. Used agent to agent, Zone 3 depending on which field office is local interop channels, Zone 4 WHCA channel 1, 2, 3...., Zone 5 Nationwide use channels, interop with FBI, Homeland Security. From what I saw holding one. Boston's office has in their zone 3 - Boston Interop (VHF) Boston Interop (UHF), Bapern 3, Bapern 4, Bapern Central, NHSP, RISCON, NYPD 1 (?) NYPD (UHF)?, NYPD (800)?, NYC office 1,2,3,4. Heard the 7000's are programmed the same except for NYPD 800's (?). And of course the ENRYP switch is on.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Zone 4 has a channel 16 labeled CRASH, for when everything breaks loose with at WH or in Motorcade. I was told top switch on C brings them directly to that channel and shuts off scan This channel goes back even to the Saber non astro (red button days). Agent could be on any channel or zone and switching C sends agent to Z4 ch16.

Hbright

Zone 1 is all known channels in RR (tango, mike, echo, etc), Zone 2 is all simplex channels. Labeled as red, orange, brown, black, etc. Used agent to agent, Zone 3 depending on which field office is local interop channels, Zone 4 WHCA channel 1, 2, 3...., Zone 5 Nationwide use channels, interop with FBI, Homeland Security. From what I saw holding one. Boston's office has in their zone 3 - Boston Interop (VHF) Boston Interop (UHF), Bapern 3, Bapern 4, Bapern Central, NHSP, RISCON, NYPD 1 (?) NYPD (UHF)?, NYPD (800)?, NYC office 1,2,3,4. Heard the 7000's are programmed the same except for NYPD 800's (?). And of course the ENRYP switch is on.
Good info. But I’m not sure I understand the difference btwn Zone 1 and 2. All the freqs in Zone 1 are simplex, no?

Also, do all the zones have a full 16-channel line up? Or are some zones’ channels blank?

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Zone 1 has repatered channels. Repeaters in Comm SUV, AF 1, and portable on site repeaters. Zone 2 is strictly man to man.

There are blank channels in zones. Most were designed after the old Sabers of 12 channels that were not P25

ecps92

Good info. But I’m not sure I understand the difference btwn Zone 1 and 2. All the freqs in Zone 1 are simplex, no?

Also, do all the zones have a full 16-channel line up? Or are some zones’ channels blank?
Not all zones might be filled with 16 channels.
take the Zone for the VHF Law Enforcement (LE) Federal Interoperability Channels
it will only be channels 1-10 with 11-16 being BLANK

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
outside of DC, I know of NO USSS Field Office that has a regular Dispatcher, they rotate duty Agents to handle the phone/tips as needed.
Boston hasn't had a Daily Dispatcher since the "Sgt Major" retired over 8 yrs ago.

So that said, who is going to patch to what ?
The Radios have InterOp Zone(s) , with atleast the DOJ Major Cities in it and if multi-band the local regional Interops not on a Trunk
Usually, at least here where I live, it’s the dispatchers at the county 911 center that initiates patches with other outside agency systems such as state police or state EMA. I’m not sure if they are able to patch into feds though.

Hbright

Slightly off topic, I received 166.1125 NAC001 on Close Call during the Presidents visit to Rehoboth Beach City Hall this weekend.

Does anyone know what channel that is?

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
They have a entire repeater system set up at his residence. The frequencies are not issued by FCC, but by either the Dept of Transportation or Dept. of the Interior. So those are very difficult to track down unless they went in the clear and you could identify them.

When they left Kennibunkport at the Bush Compound, they gave most of the equipment to the town cause they had repeaters and satellite receivers everywhere. They just applied for licenses and reprogram!

The mobile radios as soon as they left the compound were on the USSS channels.

The local pds had saber's for years.

ecps92

They have a entire repeater system set up at his residence. The frequencies are not issued by FCC, but by either the Dept of Transportation or Dept. of the Interior. So those are very difficult to track down unless they went in the clear and you could identify them.

When they left Kennibunkport at the Bush Compound, they gave most of the equipment to the town cause they had repeaters and satellite receivers everywhere. They just applied for licenses and reprogram!

The mobile radios as soon as they left the compound were on the USSS channels.

The local pds had saber's for years.
Federal Agencies are assigned frequencies thru the NTIA under the Dept of Commerce

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
ECPS92, always one up on us, thanks
Maybe someone knows?
We discussed here the antennas for the USSS vehicles. A friend showed me a clip of Biden leaving the City Hall near his home on the 14th. 2 USSS SUVs lead with roof racks, IED unit, 2 SUVs, 2 Presidential SUV, odd thing was not one of these had any antennas. No perminent or mag mounts except of course the IED and COMMS units.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
ECPS92, always one up on us, thanks
Maybe someone knows?
We discussed here the antennas for the USSS vehicles. A friend showed me a clip of Biden leaving the City Hall near his home on the 14th. 2 USSS SUVs lead with roof racks, IED unit, 2 SUVs, 2 Presidential SUV, odd thing was not one of these had any antennas. No perminent or mag mounts except of course the IED and COMMS units.

There are many vehicles in the motorcade and not all require radio comms, many just follow the leader. However, from being at the airport several times I can assure you Potus' beast, staff vans, and others have antennas, usually mag mounts.

The Beast.........................................................................................................Check mag mount on white van (staff van)
11.JPG12.JPG13.JPG14.JPG
More Mag Mounts including a double.................................................................................................But not all need them like these at the end

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
yup, I.ve seen up close all the antennas, multi bands, used VHF magmounts, but what caught our eyes were was this motorcade, of only 10 vehciles and except for the designated Comms unit and IED, no other SUVs had any sort of antennas inlcuding both POTUS SUVs.

When he was at two stops in Boston early last month, all vechiles had antennas and even the VHF mag mounts were on white (media) vans and Boston PD lead cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.