• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

(New Version) ANYTONE 6666 Pro

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I'm also not a fan of the old 6666.... ( but I don't know why as I have not had one and have nothing to base my dislike for them ) maybe just too much stuff in a small package? I heard many times it's HOT to the touch... but people have been using them on a daily basis for several years now and they seem to keep on working..... other than the knobs failing after a year I really don't hear too many dying.
I'm waiting till I sell my Grant before I buy my new mobile radio.... and right now, I honestly can't decide on the Pro or the Short 5555 ..... shame I ever bought the 5555 long version for the mobile... but who would have thought we would see such a change in a year.

Rate-of-change could ramp up.

I bought a Lincoln 2+ V.4 barely three years before the Washington replacement arrived. Might have a few hundred hours as I didn’t care for it in big truck. Bought a Galaxy DX-959 that lasted in the truck all of 10-months until Q5

My Q5 has well past 1,000 in the 5-months I used it in the big truck.

Value is what matters. Not pennies.

And, friend, there’s no value in the waiting game.

That ‘71 Chevelle has spent years rotting in place. Nice as it is. Thousands of miles per year? No.

Radio is right here, right now.

Each of those radios made me better as an operator. Better ears. Greater patience.

I’m not sold — yet — on Quad-6 longevity, as no driver of my acquaintance used them like I use radio.

I’m already thinking of porting that case besides a fan kit.

Last edited:

jcrmadden

That it runs hot is a concern.
I’m already thinking of porting that case besides a fan kit.

I have a side project that may be of interest then...

The internal speaker no longer resides in my QT60. Took it and the two pin jumper out completely.

I also took the super fine mesh dust screen that covered it out and moved it to the outside of the case.

I have a low profile computer case fan ordered that should be here early part of next week (70mm x 15mm).

The screw holes for the speaker are 71mm apart, but if I can get it to line up I'm going to sandwich that dust screen between the new fan and the outside of the case.

Case is already vented at the rear (top and bottom) but very little. Should run positive pressure (albeit miniscule) inside the case. Shouldn't take much to keep air moving over the board and keep dust out of the case.

I bought a laser temp gun and 100W dummy load to do before and after temp tests, but I goofed a little delay into the mix. The dummy load has the N style connector and now I need another adapter (so much for attention to detail).

I don't use my radio enough that heat has ever been a concern (just wanna scratch the tinkerer's itch).

Quick question aside... how do the magnetic drivers for those internal speakers not introduce some level of interference when they're in such close proximity to sensitive components?

I ask because the fan may also introduce interference. It's brushless and outside the case, but still a concern.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I have a side project that may be of interest then...

The internal speaker no longer resides in my QT60. Took it and the two pin jumper out completely.

I also took the super fine mesh dust screen that covered it out and moved it to the outside of the case.

I have a low profile computer case fan ordered that should be here early part of next week (70mm x 15mm).

The screw holes for the speaker are 71mm apart, but if I can get it to line up I'm going to sandwich that dust screen between the new fan and the outside of the case.

Case is already vented at the rear (top and bottom) but very little. Should run positive pressure (albeit miniscule) inside the case. Shouldn't take much to keep air moving over the board and keep dust out of the case.

I bought a laser temp gun and 100W dummy load to do before and after temp tests, but I goofed a little delay into the mix. The dummy load has the N style connector and now I need another adapter (so much for attention to detail).

I don't use my radio enough that heat has ever been a concern (just wanna scratch the tinkerer's itch).

Quick question aside... how do the magnetic drivers for those internal speakers not introduce some level of interference when they're in such close proximity to sensitive components?

I ask because the fan may also introduce interference. It's brushless and outside the case, but still a concern.
Having done a lot of enclosure and cooling design, it’s usually better to suck air out of a vented enclosure rather than blow into it. Placement of vents near hot areas is critical to air flow across hot components and sometimes it’s good to make a temporary clear cover and inject liquid smoke into the enclosure looking for eddies and stale air.

jcrmadden

Having done a lot of enclosure and cooling design, it’s usually better to suck air out of a vented enclosure rather than blow into it. Placement of vents near hot areas is critical to air flow across hot components and sometimes it’s good to make a temporary clear cover and inject liquid smoke into the enclosure looking for eddies and stale air.

I appreciate the expertise and you're definitely not wrong. Great advice for heavy users with hot running rigs.

In my case the original intent had nothing to do with heat though. That just came as an aside.

My original intent was keeping dust out of that static pressure vented case as I work in a hell of a lot of it.

I'm also not a heavy user with heat issues to begin with. I'd say my average key up is a few seconds (maybe 10s) with 2 to 4 exchanges.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I appreciate the expertise and you're definitely not wrong. Great advice for heavy users with hot running rigs.

In my case the original intent had nothing to do with heat though. That just came as an aside.

My original intent was keeping dust out of that static pressure vented case as I work in a hell of a lot of it.

I'm also not a heavy user with heat issues to begin with. I'd say my average key up is a few seconds (maybe 10s) with 2 to 4 exchanges.

FWIW, the older radios stood up to a lot of dust.

I like your idea. Maybe you’ll start a thread someday as CB users aren’t the only ones. I’ll bet we’d find this across radio/scanner use.

This one will be: (pseudo)
TRD — Dakar to Paris

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

Bandwidth, in a sense. Choice of 3K vs 4K changes TX audio emphasis. (SimonTheWizard).

Here’s a low-cost desk mic upgrade by W2ENY in audio quality recommended by fourstringburn over on WWDX. (Stock mic not bad).

An equalizer for the home station for those so inclined (example):

Impressive that we’re looking at Citizen Band use and they don’t sound like that on Sideband, according to users of high end Amateur gear.

My experience with Q5 when mobile is that one’s voice arising from “silence” is to a degree arresting to others on AM-19. Clarity really is King. Gets responses. One isn’t constantly being asked to repeat what just was said. Etc.

Last edited:

niceguy71

Bandwidth, in a sense. Choice of 3K vs 4K changes TX audio emphasis. (SimonTheWizard).

Here’s a low-cost desk mic upgrade by W2ENY in audio quality recommended by fourstringburn over on WWDX. (Stock mic not bad).

An equalizer for the home station for those so inclined (example):

Impressive that we’re looking at Citizen Band use and they don’t sound like that on Sideband, according to users of high end Amateur gear.

My experience with Q5 when mobile is that one’s voice arising from “silence” is to a degree arresting to others on AM-19. Clarity really is King. Gets responses. One isn’t constantly being asked to repeat what just was said. Etc.

so many ways to spend money on this hobby.....

I'm very close to being done buying anything for the hobby.. and look forward to getting to that point.

one more handheld to buy.. Thunderpole TX..... and a short version 5555 N II to replace the long version I had planned to put in the mobile.... and that should be the end of it?????

hopefully all the manufacturers will stop making and inventing new stuff and I can stop buying stuff

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
To be serious on the topic of radio acquisition is to be comprehensive. Hundreds of dollars, right?

List the items shipped with radio and acquire what else is needed to operate (mobile, etc). No borrowing from other radio rigs.

The 3800 Apache Transport Case is pretty much a minimum in my experience.

The 4800 is necessary with some rigs.
My big truck rig needs even more (excluding antennas).

This approach takes up a fair amount of room. But the whole thing is safe and ready-to-go as a group.

I don’t think I need to belabor this as anyone with several radios already understands storage space necessary.

With ten (10) radios at present I’ve most of them stored this way. What’s needed to stock the case precedes the radio itself.

I make an exception for speakers & mics (past original), but not for the space to carry them in each dedicated case.

Tuning Equipt also needs safe transport.

This’ll slow the impulse buys.

IMG_6224.jpeg

Surplus Flight Bag
is how I pack all work and truck gear. Food, clothing, kitchen, tools, etc. It’s a good overbag to carry radio gear & dedicated tools for that. Road Trip, for other necessities. I’ve probably 15-18 of these. Great for many uses at home, on road, or camping. (Be sure it’s this exact appearance and in poly/cotton as shown).
  • NSN: 8460-00-606-8366
Two (2) 2800 cases fill out the base to load other things atop (example).

The QT80 were I to get one for big truck would be with a 4800 case to hold associated items. And the rest of the bag for radio-related in their own conveyances, hard or soft. Into flight bag and GTG given that one needs more carried as home is weeks away. Replacement cost of contents is above $1,500.

In your pickup:

QT80 + DRX-901 + SR76 + custom coax jumpers + (2) RF/CMC Chokes + custom power harness w/M31 ferrite + mic hanger + radio & speaker brackets, etc, etc.

Each radio rig is discrete.
Even if radio is only change.

“No orphans on shelf”.

Last edited: