Newbie easy question- srch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard97

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I read the manual a lot late last night. I used seach mode and limited search mode, now I CANNOT get service search to STOP. What is the process to stop a search/lmit search etc.? If this is a 1 button answer, I will officially feel huymiliated.

Howard
K9NPD
NH

Astrak

Press SRCH again or SCAN or MAN or PGM or WX. Well I guess I don't know what scanner you have but I would assume your scanner at least has those buttons.

Howard97

Premium Subscriber
I wish it was that. Yes, if you press WX ,etc it wil do that, but When you press SRCH and are in service search mode, all that does is cycle it thru the various public service bands on Low, VHF UHF, Marine, CB, etc. It does NOT cease when you go back to a receive mode again , such as Scan. Service search continues simultaneous with scan. If you press SRCH, it cycle thru the various service bands, but stay active. HHHEEELLLLPPPP. Makes the thing useless as it toggles thru all the data and harmoics.

Howard97

Premium Subscriber
GRE 600 stuck in service search

This is the GRE forum, so I forgot to say it anyways, it is a PRE 600. Trying to get it to cease service search that goes active every time I return to scan. I ahve a scan going all thru the channel banks, and service search simultaneously.

Patch42

This is the GRE forum, so I forgot to say it anyways, it is a PRE 600. Trying to get it to cease service search that goes active every time I return to scan. I ahve a scan going all thru the channel banks, and service search simultaneously.
There are (at least) two ways to "search" on the PSR600. You can press the SRCH button, or you can create a SRVC (or SWPR) object and add it to a scan list. If you do the latter, it will appear as though the scanner goes through all the normal objects and then does a service search.

Try this. Press PGM then the EDIT softkey. Press the left/right arrow keys as necessary to get SRCH on the display. Press the associated softkey. This should find the search object, which you can then delete or lock out.

Howard97

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I believe that is what I did. I had somehow put a search into the scan list. However, in the meantime, with the scanner apparently searching thru all the bands, and becoming uselss, I uploaded the scanner memory to the computer using the WIN500 software, did a hard reset pu tting it back to factory defaults, and reloaded the scanlists, daring not to touch the srch button. Last scanner I had had (Bearcat "8" had 8 crystal controlled channels with lockout switches under each LED..... not too difficult to understand conceptually. Take cover off, plug in crystals, turn on and listen.

Patch42

Yeah, the PSR600 is a slight step up from the old crystal-based scanners. ;-) It can get quite complicated.

My father has an older RS scanner I bought for his birthday many years ago. Just the other day he declared that it was broken. It was stuck on one frequency when in scan mode. I took a look at it and, sure enough, it appeared to not be scanning at all, just sitting on one frequency. Couldn't lock it out, couldn't get it to move. Turned out he had somehow deactivated the scan on the one bank he normally scans and there was only one channel not locked out on the only active bank. It seems my father has been somewhat randomly pushing buttons activating/deactivating banks, and then pushing LockOut for any channel he doesn't want to hear. (I spent probably two days programming the thing for him and I'll bet he has every channel but a handful locked out.) The scanner quite logically wouldn't let me lock out the channel because there's no point in having a bank with all channels locked out. It took me about five minutes of fiddling to figure out what had happened. And that scanner is ancient compared to the PSR600.

At least you're not coming to the new GRE with "bank think" firmly embedded in your brain. That seems to be a problem many people have trouble overcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.