WS1065: Newbie here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

szavetz

hey everyone! I am a newbie here to the scanner world. I am completely lost with the whole system and just the scanner in general. lets start off by saying, I am pretty good with technology. I am considered the “IT” person for my family when it comes to macs, PCs, tablets, phones, or anything of that nature. My grandparents got their scanner for Christmas last year and asked me to program it for them. I could not figure it out for the life of me. Eventually, we found scanner master and sent it to them to program it, which we received it back in August, programmed. My grandma called me the other day and states that its not working anymore and that it is no longer picking up anything, which i thought was weird. They swear they didn’t touch it or anything. However, when I go to turn the scanner on now, it seems as if everything has been erased. I don’t even know if this is possible or I’m just that stupid. I am more than frustrated with this thing, as we have been messing with it for months and finally got it to work. I really hope it is not erased, but i have no idea. I have no idea really how to work the thing, even with reading the manual. I have emailed scanner master, but they did not seem to help at all. I was wondering if anyone could help me or walk me through some sort of process of using this thing...

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Szavetz... where are they located? City and county, specifically... with that info we can help you. I have the Radio Shack version of the WS-1065 and can program it in my sleep, as can many of us here on RR.

You did a good thing by asking for help here.

tvengr

Well Known Member
It is a lot easier if you use programming software. I use Butel ARC500. We need to know your city, county, and state (or grandma's if different) and what you want to monitor to be able to help. We also need to know what is displayed on the screen of the scanner. It is possible that what she was receiving moved to another radio system. Do you have a programming cable for the scanner?

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
szavetz, welcome to Radio Reference! The place to go when you need to know! Quite a few of us have 1065s and use ARC500 to program, so I am sure the help is here for you. Sounds to me like maybe someone accidentally hit a button and put the scanner in a menu mode or something. Some of us here, myself included, are not big fans of 3rd party programming, as they can only generalize your coverage without knowing the particulars that only a local person would know. Not only that, but it is very beneficial to you to program your own scanner as this is the best way to learn the radio and the software and your local systems, which leads to quick navigation and operation of the scanner and mo' betta monitoring!

I am just curious, if you purchased the remote programming from Scanner Master, does it include technical support?

Status
Not open for further replies.