NIFOG 2.0 is out

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, the hard copies are nice, way better than I could do on a printer. I've had coffee spilled on mine and it is still in use.

There is also a NIFOG app for your phone. For that matter, there's an AUXCOMM version too. But sometimes dinking around with a phone is harder than just opening a book and reading what you need.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have the Android version and it does come in handy when I'm out and away from the hard copies. I guess it's sort of a backup.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There is also a NIFOG app for your phone.
Revised versions of the apps are also in the works, I'm told.

The printed NIFOG, as I recall, is the size of an easy-to-carry paperback book. Like the Emergency Response Guidebook that DOT publishes with all the hazardous material info (yes, there's an app for that, too).

I haven't downloaded it just yet, but it should be interesting to see how this one is, considering that the NIFOG creator, Ross Merlin, just retired. This is the first NIFOG without his direct influence. Originally an NDMS guy, Ross showed me his assembly of notes in 1999 at "Commo Bootcamp" (which our very own Bill, "ecps92", attended with me). Ross literally ran into class after coming home from an NDMS field deployment. Those were events that were usually in austere conditions where people didn't have the luxury of having manuals and directories at hand. I went home with a stack of this copied mess, promptly lost it in my garage mess, and years later, was not surprised to see it again, greatly enhanced, nicely repackaged, and edited, as the definitive field guide.

ecps92

Still have a copy of the original NDMS Version on Disk :)

how things have changed over the years

I haven't downloaded it just yet, but it should be interesting to see how this one is, considering that the NIFOG creator, Ross Merlin, just retired. This is the first NIFOG without his direct influence. Originally an NDMS guy, Ross showed me his assembly of notes in 1999 at "Commo Bootcamp" (which our very own Bill, "ecps92", attended with me). Ross literally ran into class after coming home from an NDMS field deployment. Those were events that were usually in austere conditions where people didn't have the luxury of having manuals and directories at hand. I went home with a stack of this copied mess, promptly lost it in my garage mess, and years later, was not surprised to see it again, greatly enhanced, nicely repackaged, and edited, as the definitive field guide.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
this document refers to 'uplink' and 'downlink' channels in regards to FB2

just want to remind everyone there is potential for major confusion when programming freqs into radios

not a big deal just something to keep in the back of the mind
Nonsense. Uplink refers to the repeater input (subscriber transmit), and downlink refers to the repeater output (subscriber receive). It's pretty straightforward, don't try to make it into something more complicated than that.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Not sure what a document from Henderson County NC has to do with the NIFOG.

As explained earlier in this thread, the NIFOG nomenclature is correct from the perspective of its intended audience, the field user. System administrators using the NIFOG should be able to apply the correct perspective for their needs.

The topic of this thread is the release of NIFOG 2.0, not the manner in which the NIFOG is written.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
and to be clearly clear - it is common for hams to use the terminology of "in" and "out" and "offset" when describing the programming of radios on repeater systems - please see New England Repeater Directory

The NIFOG is for public safety practitioners to get some basic comms issues sorted out at 0200 on a Sunday morning when SHTF. It's written as such and makes perfect sense to those who need it.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I just completed a COML class locally here in Charlotte (which I HIGHLY recommend if you're an emergency comms geek like I am), and they still had the NIFOG v1.6.1 hard copies. The AUXFOG hasn't been updated since 2016. Tho I gather not much has really changed for AUXCOMM since HF frequencies and antennas really don't change. Both books are great, but I also suggest finding out from your local/state EM if they have their own TICP/TIC-FOG as some states do like SC and NJ to name a few.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I see the updated Android version has been posted, too.

footage

Premium Subscriber

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• National Interoperability Field Operations Guide Version 2.01 Factsheet.pdf
    601 KB · Views: 39

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
They do have an email for agencies to request printed copies.
Well and that’s exactly what I did. I sent an eMail to them and they sent me back a requisition form I had to fill out and eMail back. It’s been over a month but I haven’t asked yet how long it usually takes. I asked for both NIFOG and AUXFOG books, but only 2 of each. I guess we will see. I may ask in another week how long it usually takes if I don’t get them by then.