NJ First Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Lakewood peers went in. Other than someone checking the balance of the sites for up-to-dateness (cough... @GM ...cough ;)) the New Jersey portion is all filled in.

JCP&L TG's 3001 and 3003 need their use/description to be identified.

TheLeaper

WB2HKK
Premium Subscriber
I am still NOT hearing anything when scanned as a P25 system? I'm using a BCD996P2 and FreeScan.
Programming : MATAWAN - Type=P25 Standard ( Digital XT ), Freqs=936.1875, 937.25, 937.9375, 938.7125, APCO band plan: freq.935.00: Spacing 12.5, 5 TG's: 3009,3050,3311,3350,3301.
Is it NOT a standard P25 system? ( Scanning as Conventional frequencies I hear traffic ).
I also programmed the Freehold site and hear nothing.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I am still NOT hearing anything when scanned as a P25 system? I'm using a BCD996P2 and FreeScan.
Programming : MATAWAN - Type=P25 Standard ( Digital XT ), Freqs=936.1875, 937.25, 937.9375, 938.7125, APCO band plan: freq.935.00: Spacing 12.5, 5 TG's: 3009,3050,3311,3350,3301.
Is it NOT a standard P25 system? ( Scanning as Conventional frequencies I hear traffic ).
I also programmed the Freehold site and hear nothing.

It's a P25 Phase I, standard system. Nothing special to it. Are you receiving the control channel okay? Perhaps try adjusting the digital threshold? I would also suggest checking the Navesink site.

TheLeaper

WB2HKK
Premium Subscriber
I got UniTrunker and DSD+ running on my laptop. Unitunker / DSD+ DOES decode the Matawan system. The BCD996P2 does NOT. It doesn't even stop on a transmission. Hmmmmm.

Tech792

Same with my WS1065. I have yet to hear anything on this system for the past few years. And I can see the Matawan tower from my house.

GM

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, this system uses CQPSK P25 Phase 1 mode for voice. I've had numerous issues in the past with decoding voice using a BCD325P2, BCD436HP, RS Pro 106/651, PSR 500, and a BC296D. However, the SDS100 decodes it with no problems. It's almost as if the system is an individual single site simulcast. I know that doesn't make any sense, but for decoding purposes, it acts that way with most scanners listed above. I finally had the spare time to go on a field trip down from Matawan to Oyster Creek earlier today, and apparently my decoding equipment is shot. Unitrunker would not populate for me with either the discriminator tap or the programming cable attached. Nor did Pro96Com work for me on any of the southern sites as well with the programming cable. I checked my settings are all were in proper functioning order.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion, this system uses CQPSK P25 Phase 1 mode for voice. .... I know that doesn't make any sense, but for decoding purposes, it acts that way with most scanners listed above.

My brother sent me his Unitrunker logs, and I was looking back at them this evening. I can say this. The system, at least the sites he went to, are weird. None of them have the clocks set, some don't appear to be transmitting all if any of their properties, the callsigns don't even appear right. Based on what he said it doesn't appear they're all putting out the full 100w licensed. It almost seems more like a DIY job than a trained, certified Motorola vendor. So wouldn't surprise me if it was using CQPSK.

And if helps at all @GM, Sean was using an Airspy R2 on Unitrunker 2.1.38. A $25 RTL SDR dongle works fine for me on my remote computer in New Jersey monitoring Union County Simulcast on Unitrunker if you want to get one from Amazon and try it.

There's also a couple talkgroups in his logs not in the DB.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is an Etherstack P25 system, not Motorola ASTRO 25.

QPSK modulation, while fairly rare on a standalone P25 Phase I FDMA site, is nonetheless valid. It is worth noting that H-DQPSK modulation is used with Phase II TDMA talkgroups, regardless of site type (standalone or simulcast).

I'll have to take a look at some of the northern JCP&L sites on the scope to see if they are C4FM or QPSK modulation.

Yep, it looks like the 3-4 sites I can pull in all appear to be using some form of QPSK modulation.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to take a look at some of the northern JCP&L sites on the scope to see if they are C4FM or QPSK modulation.

Would some WAV or MP3 files for sites out of your range work at all for your examination @GTR8000? Or are they not needed?

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
WAV or MP3 files for sites out of your range work at all for your examination?
I'm sure all JCPL sites are using the same modulation, probably no need for further examination. If Sean has a strong signal on one of the southern sites, have him look at the scope in UT 2.1 (receiver VFO tab) If the Symbol display is showing a constellation (four points in a quadrant), that's a tell tale sign of QPSK modulation in use.

1601440644036.png

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure all JCPL sites are using the same modulation, probably no need for further examination. If Sean has a strong signal on one of the southern sites, have him look at the scope in UT 2.1 (receiver VFO tab) If the Symbol display is showing a constellation (four points in a quadrant), that's a tell tale sign of QPSK modulation in use.

Understood. He's finishing that job in Holmdel tonight so I'll have him check it out. Thanks for the illustrative lesson on the scope.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Should've mentioned...flip over to the VFO tab of the receiver, click on Scope to open it up, then click anywhere inside the scope window to toggle through the display modes.

TheLeaper

WB2HKK
Premium Subscriber
So is the bottom line to this.. I will not be able to hear JCP&L from Freehold on my BCD436HP?
I just program the 4 frequencies as ' conventional ', not P25, and scan them. Works very well. Thanks to everyone for looking in to this. I knew there was something strange going on. I see on a post above that the SDS 100/200 decodes this system fine?

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
This is an Etherstack P25 system, not Motorola ASTRO 25.

I did some reading and research. So, essentially this system is engineered to be a multi-interface, fully integrated operation through the Etherstack technologies into multiple different types of systems, like Cisco networks, as well as integrating voice communications ability into fleet tracking, fleet vehicle collision reporting abilities, infrastructure fault reporting, and P25 over LTE? Correct?

Almost like an endless possibilities Swiss Army knife?

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Interesting quirk with the peers on the Matawan site, with the site transmitting all of the peers' control frequencies. Apparently this is the only site it's happening on. Originally we thought it might be a bug in the new Unitrunker release. However, I checked with more qualified people than I and it's definitely a site issue, or a quirk of Etherstack, and not Unitrunker. It also was not seen on Berkeley Heights, Navesink, Randolph, or Kinnelon today.

Status
Not open for further replies.