No Audio out for DSD in Linux Jammy Jellyfish Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsnelli

Hello,
I have had no luck getting any audio out whatsoever from DSD in Linux Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS. I have played with all the options of the Pulse Audio I have found via command "dsd -a". I have searched these forums and issues seem to come and go with no clear way how it was fixed, or whatever they did then did not work for me. I do get some audio - choppy but present - with WINE and DSD+. Please see the Youtube video if you wish to see me fiddling with the settings as best as I can. I get perfect audio with SDR Trunk and two Nooelec Dongles, however that's for a different set of public service (Peel Trunk) it doesn't pick up the particular public service I am going after (which is in the 142.420-143MHZ area possibly with Motorola). Oh by the way if it matters, for the DSD help, I am not using two dongles but one SDRPlay RSP1A and GQRX and gqrx-scanner with pavucontrol and a virtual_sink from gqrx fed into the Pulse Audio Control and out to the speakers from the DSD audio..or not...which is the problem!

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-08-22 09-19-26.png
    Screenshot from 2022-08-22 09-19-26.png
    385.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Port Audio strikes again.

Try this one instead. It has pulse audio support built right in, along with a lot of other ease of use features.

Easy to use installer.

Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/lwvmobile/dsd-fme/pulseaudio/download-and-install.sh
chmod +x download-and-install.sh
./download-and-install.sh

gsnelli

WOW! First try out of the box the Florida Man Edition works! THANK YOU! :)

This public service uses the same frequencies for voice and data and apparently randomly swaps back and forth on the same channel.

Now if someone can figure out how to detect voice vs. data and automatically flip between outputs from GQRX then that would be the next impossible too much to ask thing to do! I use DSD-FME and sit there trying to predict between the two inputs to flip between like I am on a game show. It's fun though so I can't complain.

Naturally since I am "recording" the screen and also "recording" DSD-FME ... there's no audio on the video, but believe me it's there!

It works so thanks again!

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Glad to hear it worked for you first time without so much effort.

Now if someone can figure out how to detect voice vs. data and automatically flip between outputs from GQRX then that would be the next impossible too much to ask thing to do! I use DSD-FME and sit there trying to predict between the two inputs to flip between like I am on a game show. It's fun though so I can't complain.

The old version of DSD still has some latent scanner control functionality that FME still retains, mostly to signal to the serial port to hit the key on the scanner to continue scanning on P1 systems if there are no detected voice frames, that might could be repurposed to send a UDP command to GQRX to increment to the next frequency in your bookmark list, or switch to a frequency. I've never really looked into doing so, or even gone as far as test the old code to see if it can send commands over the serial port or not.

There is code on Github that can remote control GQRX and turn it into a scanner, but I'm pretty sure its only capable of stopping on squelch breaks, so its not by itself going to know if a P1 signal has data or voice.

Ideally though, if you have a trunked system, OP25 or SDRTrunk would most likely be a better bet, as they actually have trunking features for that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.